Poll for Bengals fans who live outside of Cincinnati

What if the Bengals move??? Please do not answer if you live in Cincy  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bengals left Cincinnati, and kept the name and colors, would you stay a Bengals fan?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If they moved closer to where you live?

• Yes
    • No

Negativity isn't necessarily pessimism.  No real issue with people criticizing players, coaches, the owner.. You're right that I do plenty of that myself.  If I don't think it's warranted I might argue the point but that's not the issue. What seems "off" to me are the people who talk about the team like they're always going to disappoint them but they'll always be a fan, that sort of thing. Objectively it sounds like they think the team sucks, which is fine, but if they feel that way why bother? Because they're from Cincinnati? I have a hard time understanding that sort of regional/tribal affiliation. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd lived in the same town most or all of my life, IDK.  That's not meant to be a knock on anyone that has, either.  However, even if I'd lived all my life in Detroit, I can't see getting on a Kid Rock fanpage and going on and on about how much Kid Rock sucks and will always sucks. Again, why bother? You can live in Detroit and listen to E-40 instead, just like you can live in Cincinnati for 50 years and not be a Bengals fan.  Nobody is being coerced here so when people start talking like they're somehow helpless victims of the Bengals I sometimes ask them why.  Typically they react like dude above, like way over-the-top defensive about it, so yeah.  That makes me think it's not really about the team at all, but whatever.  I'm probably not going to understand it if they don't understand it themselves.

Anyway, FWIW I've enjoyed reading most of your posts regardless of whether I agree with them.

I was a Reds fan first, and attended my first Reds game at Riverfront in August 1975.  At the game, my Dad pointed out the gridiron stripes that could still be seen on the turf, probably from a preseason game that had been played the previous weekend.  When I realized that Cincinnati also had an NFL team that shared the stadium, I vowed they would be my team, so I became a fan that season.

I finally made it to Riverfront for a couple games after I became an adult, but have never been to PBS.  To be honest, two things that took something out of me as a Bengals fan was the departure from Riverfront and the 2004 change in uniforms.  I no longer had the stadium I grew up loving and then also lost the uniforms I had rooted for since 1981.  (I think the current uniforms are awful, by the way, and not because they're not what I grew up with.)

If they left Cincinnati, even though I never watch them in person there, I'd probably stop watching the NFL altogether. I'm almost to that point now, so that would be the final straw.  The only exception might be if they moved to a closer city, which in my case would be Louisville, Lexington, or Nashville, and that ain't gonna happen.

10 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

My 2$ investment in the Philosophy Club...

Seems like no matter what message board, newer posters go through some sort of initiation period of sorts, sort of.  And don't take a lot of this stuff seriously.  If you do, you will lay awake at night thinking of the of your next witty mot to add another bucket of gasoline to the flame war.

As far as inflammatory statements from other posters (we have one I refer to as "The Bulletproof Troll), simply don't reply... Don't Feed the Animals.

Refrain from profanity aimed at other posters.

The ninja :ph34r: is your friend.  Took me awhile to catch on but on this board it is added at the bottom of a post to show your intent was sarcastic or not meant to be taken too literally.

Memorize the script for Animal House and use it freely i.e. "Germans bombed Pearl Bailey", "Don't call me a more-on, you more-on" and "coughblowjobcough".  Show your sensitive side by referring to classic literature.

If you're really bored, start an Andy Dalton thread.  Always popular.  Ditto Lavar Arrington.

Knowing Bengal history is very important.  For example, Bengal player, Tippy Dye, is the one who suggested the face mask to Paul Brown.

2895745439_4d8c6b4a99.jpg

I like your input although sometimes I would rather wait for the movie or at least the Cliff Notes.  And don't spend your birthday money on Beanie Babies when you can join Pacman trying to find the hooker you paid for in advance at the hotel in downtown Cincinnati after a game and you're too drunk to remember the room number.

Archived