2017 Season thread!!

Jason

Its nice to see these spurts. The minors look pretty good right now as well. If Cozart keeps playing this way, they might have to try and hold onto him.

50 minutes ago, JC said:

Its nice to see these spurts. The minors look pretty good right now as well. If Cozart keeps playing this way, they might have to try and hold onto him.

If he keeps playing well I really think they will trade him.  

• 3 weeks later...

This year's team is fun as hell to watch but damn...if only they had some stability and success from their starters we'd be rolling! We are at or near the top of the league in hitting, homers, defense and bullpen play. And probably the worst in all of baseball from a starting pitching standpoint. LOL. Can't have it all I guess.

It'll be interesting to watch the Toronto series with the DH and all...Cozart is our DH tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/reds-activate-brandon-finnegan-move-bronson-arroyo-to-60-day-dl.html

The Reds announced Monday that they’ve activated lefty Brandon Finnegan from the 60-day DL and cleared a spot on the 40-man by transferring veteran right-hander Bronson Arroyo from the 10-day DL to the 60-day DL. Righty Lisalverto Bonilla was optioned to Triple-A Louisville to clear a spot on the active roster.

Finnegan, 24, has been out since April 15 with a shoulder injury and has made just three starts for Cincinnati this season. The absence of Finnegan and right-hander Anthony DeSclafani, who entered the year as the Reds’ top two starters, has been a massive factor in the team’s MLB-worst 6.19 rotation ERA.

On 6/26/2017 at 0:22 PM, Go Skins said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/reds-activate-brandon-finnegan-move-bronson-arroyo-to-60-day-dl.html

The Reds announced Monday that they’ve activated lefty Brandon Finnegan from the 60-day DL and cleared a spot on the 40-man by transferring veteran right-hander Bronson Arroyo from the 10-day DL to the 60-day DL. Righty Lisalverto Bonilla was optioned to Triple-A Louisville to clear a spot on the active roster.

Finnegan, 24, has been out since April 15 with a shoulder injury and has made just three starts for Cincinnati this season. The absence of Finnegan and right-hander Anthony DeSclafani, who entered the year as the Reds’ top two starters, has been a massive factor in the team’s MLB-worst 6.19 rotation ERA.

Over the long term you can't forget Homer Bailey eating up a large chunk of the payroll while spending the better part of two seasons on the DL.   Hopefully his return was a fluke and he can get his ERA down to below his current age.  I thought hitching their wagon to Bailey was a bad idea when he signed the contract, but I thought he would at least be playing.  That's one expensive hole in the rotation.

edit: 6 earned runs for Homer before he got the hook, Price ejected.  I smell smoke.

I understand trying to build for the future & all that, but at some point don't they have to stop trading away major league talent for magic beans? 

Or is the plan to become what amounts to a high-AAA farm team for everyone else?

Somewhat off topic, but today's Washington Post has an article about best ballparks:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/07/11/how-thomas-boswell-ranked-all-30-mlb-ballparks-and-grouped-them-in-four-tiers/?utm_term=.235d1ad77309#comments

18. Cincinnati. People say it was built on the cheap. They say it looks like the circus came to town with pinwheels and riverboat restaurants above the outfield. They say the Ohio River beyond right field is brown. They say it’s an uphill walk back to downtown. They say … oh, gimme a break. I like it. It’s an enthusiastic homer-happy little park that feels open — to the sky, weather, views of the (muddy) river.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/07/24/umpire-convinces-5-year-old-reds-fan-to-kick-marlins-dee-gordon-in-the-shin/?utm_term=.2aa677e44c7a

“It was all planned,” Leo’s mother, Amy Danzo-Schneider, told MLB.com. “He’s not the type of kid who would go up and kick someone. Dee Gordon was motioning Leo to come to him. The umpire went with Leo, and Leo said the umpire told him to kick [Gordon].”

Gordon, who appeared to laugh off Schneider’s assault, singled to lead off the game and promptly stole second base. Meanwhile, Schneider’s favorite player, Reds leadoff man Billy Hamilton, went 3 for 4 in Cincinnati’s 6-3 victory.

Archived