Eifert: "I'll be ready for camp"

Tyler Eifert: 'I'll be ready to go' for training camp

0ap3000000408080.jpg

By Conor Orr

Around The NFL Writer

Published: April 11, 2017 at 08:46 a.m.

Injuries to Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert (ankle, back) and A.J. Green (hamstring) came to define what was a regressive season for coach Marvin Lewis' team in the AFC North last year.

But as we inch closer to the start of their offseason workouts, a picture of their health is becoming clearer.

For Eifert, that means targeting a return during training camp.

"I'm feeling good. I continue to get better," he told the Bengals' official website. "My back feels great."

He added: "I'll be ready and healthy and strong and be ready to go by the time it's go time. I'm close."

For Green, who was fully cleared by the training staff at the beginning of last month, that means working out this coming Monday in Phase 1 of the Bengals' offseason training activities.

While there were a myriad of problems with last season's Bengals team, club reporter Geoff Hobson presents some interesting data blaming the injury gods. The Bengals had one of their best offensive seasons under Lewis in 2015 when Eifert and Green were on the field together for a majority of the season (13 games). Last year, they were only together for three games and the club scored almost a touchdown less per game. They ended up losing their nine games by an average of 7.5 points per contest.

All offseason, we've talked about this Bengals season leading to some kind of finality or resolution for Lewis, who does not plan on signing a contract extension soon. This would make him a lame-duck candidate this season coming off a free agency where they lost two of the best offensive linemen in the NFL. But their faith in the combination of Eifert and Green is undeniable given how much they've lost and where they still expect to go.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799051/article/tyler-eifert-ill-be-ready-to-go-for-training-camp

19 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Tyler Eifert: 'I'll be ready to go' for training camp

0ap3000000408080.jpg

While there were a myriad of problems with last season's Bengals team, club reporter Geoff Hobson presents some interesting data blaming the injury gods. The Bengals had one of their best offensive seasons under Lewis in 2015 when Eifert and Green were on the field together for a majority of the season (13 games). Last year, they were only together for three games and the club scored almost a touchdown less per game. They ended up losing their nine games by an average of 7.5 points per contest.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799051/article/tyler-eifert-ill-be-ready-to-go-for-training-camp

As I've been saying for forever now...those two NEED to be on the field together to open up production for everyone else. I can only imagine the additional receptions/TD's for the likes of Boyd and Lafell had they enjoyed single coverage all season long last year...

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Something in Hobson's Eifert article mentioned a disc being removed from his back.

I'm no medical professional, can someone with insight on that shed some light on how big of a deal that typically is for someone like an NFL TE?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-a-gleiber-md/spine-surgery-in-the-nfl-_b_5739796.html

13 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Eifert's years/days are numbered.  The likelihood of back surgery increases significantly after an initial back surgery and that's for non athletes, much less a football player.  The Bengals would be foolish to not be looking for his replacement.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Eifert's years/days are numbered.  The likelihood of back surgery increases significantly after an initial back surgery and that's for non athletes, much less a football player.  The Bengals would be foolish to not be looking for his replacement.

Looks like it's OJ Howard time @ #9 overall.

16 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

This article is about 2.5 years old and one thing I noticed is that none of the players in the article are in the NFL currently. 

Yep and 2 of them retired at 23.

This is some scary stuff to read IF Hobson correctly reported the injury. It's not a good sign either way due to it being a spinal injury in general, but this seems to be pretty serious if he had a disc removed.

53 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Thanks!

Looks like it's OJ Howard time @ #9 overall.

Yep and 2 of them retired at 23.

This is some scary stuff to read IF Hobson correctly reported the injury. It's not a good sign either way due to it being a spinal injury in general, but this seems to be pretty serious if he had a disc removed.

Eifert had back surgery in 2009 when he was a freshman at ND and this offseason, combine that with the other injuries and subsequent surgeries and it's a pretty risky move signing him to a long term deal. Back surgeries are the kiss of death for any type of pro athlete, very rarely do players have them and come back at a high level.

I'm interested to see what happens with JJ Watt as he's coming off a back surgery this offseason, guys who put a tremendous amount of stress and pressure on their backs like NFL linemen typically re-injure them in the future. 

11 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Maybe so. It's the same general opinion of long term outlooks for NFL players that get microfracture knee surgeries....like Vontaze did. His days may also be numbered due to that procedure.

2 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Gronk missed his junior year at Arizona because of back surgery . I think he's doing just fine.  

And Gronk has had serious injuries that required surgery and caused him to miss how much time in the last three years? But oh yeah, it's the Patriots. They just won the fucking Superbowl again.

19 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Something in Hobson's Eifert article mentioned a disc being removed from his back.

I'm no medical professional, can someone with insight on that shed some light on how big of a deal that typically is for someone like an NFL TE?

Didn't Marilyn Manson have the same surgery?

giphy.gif

Archived