Bengals trade for DE Chris Smith from Jacksonville. T

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

TBF, Gilberry's had the luxury of being used in ideal situations rotating with a pretty good DL.  IDK much about the Jags roster but I'm guessing that wasn't the case with Smith.  Point being Gilberry was clearly more productive, not necessarily better. 

While that's definitely true, Gilberry has excelled in his role where Smith hasn't. I haven't watched Smith play so I'm only going by the numbers here, but it's alarming to me that his specialty is rushing the passer and he couldn't even find his way on the field to do that very often. The most D snaps he's ever played is 13% and his ability to get QB pressures was recent Peko or Hunt level rushing. His pressure stats are very poor.

Your edit in your earlier post is definitely how I feel about the situation, the #1 WR on the board (or TE) is most likely a better prospect than whoever the #4 pass rusher happens to be in the team's eyes. I don't typically use an exact name when I say the #1 WR or #4 DE/pass rusher because not many people are in agreement on who that actually is in either case. IMO it's Williams and Barnett, but arguments can definitely be made for another WR and a few other pass rushers.

48 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

^ this

A guy like Wallace Gilberry is clearly better than Smith. No knock against the big guy as he's been a good rotational piece here that comes on the cheap every couple years, but if Gilberry is clearly better than you, well, let's just say you shouldn't affect our draft board.

To play devil's advocate, Chris Smith just finished up his age 24 season (he turned 25 in February) and has 4.5 career sacks. At the same age, Gilberry had zero career sacks. 

If you want to compare just the past 3 seasons, Smith has 4.5 sacks in 19 games with 0 starts. Gilberry has 6 sacks in 41 games with 18 starts. 

Gilberry also is going to turn 33 years old midway through the 2017 season. Most non-elite DEs are out of the league by that age and there's a decent chance that the Bengals show up to camp in August and find out that Gilberry is washed up. Even if "prime" Gilberry is better than Chris Smith, the 7+ year age difference might end up being important.

The Bengals are obviously trying to set up some real competition for those backup DL spots this offseason and Smith is just one more guy to add to the mix. I don't think he's guaranteed to make it or anything. But neither is Gilberry. 

I think the "no opportunity" can go both ways depending on the player. 

I know people want to assume he hasn't gotten the chance because the coaching staff is Jax is to blame or the defense sucks so he'll be better around better players. 

It could also very easily be that he's just not good. I don't know, I've watched him play a total of zero times so I guess it'll be interesting to see if he does have any untapped potential in there. 

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I'm not saying it does...

But if you're sold on picking one of the pass rushers at #9, why make the trade?

It's less a matter of this changing our draft board as to giving us clues as to how it looks already.

The only draft pick this trade will have any impact on is the one we might give Jax for him.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Curious as to why they didn't just get a similar FA instead of trading for one. Makes me think there is some kind of connection to this player.

They are probably close to losing a comp pick if they sign another FA.  This costs them a 7 instead of a 5.

just tossing in AP blurb about it...

Jaguars trade DE Chris Smith to Bengals for 2018 draft pick

2652f310-10a8-11e7-90a7-4b720b6e23dd_ap_

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- The Jacksonville Jaguars have traded fourth-year defensive end Chris Smith to the Cincinnati Bengals for a conditional pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

A fifth-round selection in 2014, Smith was behind Yannick Ngakoue and Dante Fowler on the depth chart and unlikely to play much in the final year of his contract.

The Jaguars previously traded their 2018 seventh-rounder to Miami for left tackle Branden Albert, so Tuesday's trade could help them regain a pick.

Smith has appeared in 19 games in three seasons, totaling 19 tackles and 4+ sacks. Smith played in six games in 2016 and was inactive for the other 10 while rookie Ngakoue emerged as the team's top pass rusher.

Smith's exit continues a significant revamp of Jacksonville's defensive line. The Jaguars released defensive linemen Jared Odrick, Sen'Derrick Marks and Roy Miller and opted not to re-sign former first-round draft pick Tyson Alualu. They signed veteran Calais Campbell to a four-year deal worth $60 million.

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

Really? I think this guy could be starting at strong side LB.

I think he's more likely to be a pass rushing OLB that plays a few snaps here and there rather than a rotational LDE, I'm just not so sure about starting. I don't know if he makes the roster if they're set on him playing as a traditional DE as a backup.

But just to clarify, BlackBengal was saying that we may not owe the Jags a pick if he doesn't make the roster, not stating whether he wanted or thought Smith would/wouldn't make the roster.

19 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I think the "no opportunity" can go both ways depending on the player. 

I know people want to assume he hasn't gotten the chance because the coaching staff is Jax is to blame or the defense sucks so he'll be better around better players. 

It could also very easily be that he's just not good. I don't know, I've watched him play a total of zero times so I guess it'll be interesting to see if he does have any untapped potential in there. 

Definitely but this Jags coaching staff has shown a major inability to develop pass rushing talent. Bengals had a pretty solid grade on him in 14 draft so it was definitely worth an entire summers look to determine if he can contribute or not.

1 minute ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Definitely but this Jags coaching staff has shown a major inability to develop pass rushing talent. Bengals had a pretty solid grade on him in 14 draft so it was definitely worth an entire summers look to determine if he can contribute or not.

Where did you see that? Not saying I don't believe you, just wondering the source.

It seems like a realllllly random player to trade for, a guy that has barely played in the NFL and one that I'm assuming >99% of sports fans (myself included) haven't even thought of in the past 3 years. That alone makes me intrigued just because the Bengals must have targeted him for a reason.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Where did you see that? Not saying I don't believe you, just wondering the source.

It seems like a realllllly random player to trade for, a guy that has barely played in the NFL and one that I'm assuming >99% of sports fans (myself included) haven't even thought of in the past 3 years. That alone makes me intrigued just because the Bengals must have targeted him for a reason.

They had an early round 4 grade on him (hobson).  He played well against us when we played them as well. The Bengals don't give up picks for anything and they don't really make trades. They've clearly monitored this guy and thought they can get something out of him.  It was also interesting that having 11 picks this year they chose to give up a 2018 7th rounder instead. Part of me thinks they are going to grab as many pass rushing bodies as they can to see who wins the battles come August and Smith is one of those options.

7 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Really? I think this guy could be starting at strong side LB.

He has no shot in hell at any LB position. Did you look at his 3 cone times? The guy has straight line speed but can't move within a short area quickly. It's likely why he rarely got PT at DE and would have absolutely no chance at LB. The team is pretty set at LB for this coming season already too.

Archived