ESPN Outsiders AFCN Prediction

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/19097144/football-outsiders-early-2017-nfl-projections

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh Steelers: 13-3 (13.1 mean wins; SOS: 27)
2. Cincinnati Bengals: 9-7 (8.8 mean wins; SOS: 26)
3. Baltimore Ravens: 8-8 (7.8 mean wins; SOS: 19)
4. Cleveland Browns: 5-11 (5.4 mean wins; SOS: 11)

Pittsburgh and New England come out far ahead of the rest of the league in our forecast, with the Steelers powered by the best offensive projection in the league. The Steelers have exceptional offensive line continuity, as all five starting linemen have been in Pittsburgh for at least four seasons. Pittsburgh might have the best running back and the best wide receiver in the league, and we can expect some rebound from Ben Roethlisberger after an inconsistent 2016 season. We also expect Cincinnati to bounce back on both sides of the ball, and the Bengals get eight home games again after losing one to London in 2016.

Le'Veon Bell, left, Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown are still in Pittsburgh, which means the Steelers should be good yet again on offense. Jamie Sabau/Getty Images

33 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Does Marvin get an extension if the team finishes above .500 and makes the playoffs this year? 

Will he want one?

He's got to know patience is wearing thin with him and the post season ineptitude...his very own patience might be nearing an end, who knows?

I hope so, most don't think this team is a playoff team.

Anyways, isn't Big Jen retiring?

This team still has talent...And lots of it.

That last.part doesn't matter... There will just be a different team that Marvin can't beat..

It will be nice.to see the stealers without him..See how good of a coach Tomlin is.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

50 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Will he want one?

He's got to know patience is wearing thin with him and the post season ineptitude...his very own patience might be nearing an end, who knows?

Of course he will, he can keep his son and buddies on staff for a few more years.

Marvin is going to milk the cow that is MB until it's dry. 

34 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I hope so, most don't think this team is a playoff team.

Anyways, isn't Big Jen retiring?

No, he's not retiring.

As for Marvin, you hope he gets an extension this offseason...really. I disagree, I would the Bengals look elsewhere for a HC, Marvin has had 15 years to win a playoff game and it doesn't seem like he's going to be capable of doing so.

Anything short of a playoff win should spur MB into a search for the next HC, I know MB wants Marvin to be the next Chuck Noll but doesn't seem to be in the cards. 

19 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

No, he's not retiring.

As for Marvin, you hope he gets an extension this offseason...really. I disagree, I would the Bengals look elsewhere for a HC, Marvin has had 15 years to win a playoff game and it doesn't seem like he's going to be capable of doing so.

Anything short of a playoff win should spur MB into a search for the next HC, I know MB wants Marvin to be the next Chuck Noll but doesn't seem to be in the cards. 

Blah blah blah, we all know damn good and well, that if Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble and we go to Denver and take of Noodle Arm Manning, everyone in Bengaldom would be begging for MB to give ML a a contract for life. There was 1 playoff game we were supposed to win and it was the chargers.

Blah blah blah, we all know damn good and well, that if Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble and we go to Denver and take of Noodle Arm Manning, everyone in Bengaldom would be begging for MB to give ML a a contract for life. There was 1 playoff game we were supposed to win and it was the chargers.

That's just it... If if if if if.. it's always something...
They probably still win after the fumble IF Marvin has control of his players...

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

7 hours ago, fluhartz said:

That's just it... If if if if if.. it's always something...
They probably still win after the fumble IF Marvin has control of his players...

I still think if he stands up for Gio after Shazier's headhunting it never even gets to that point.  If ever there was a time to force a shitty ref crew to eject you from the game, that was it. 

Instead we get clap-clap-clap and the players acting out in self-defense.  I'd been on the fence about him already but that was the moment when ML truly lost me..  and the locker room, I suspect.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I still think if he stands up for Gio after Shazier's headhunting it never even gets to that point.  If ever there was a time to force a shitty ref crew to eject you from the game, that was it. 

Instead we get clap-clap-clap and the players acting out in self-defense.  I'd been on the fence about him already but that was the moment when ML truly lost me..  and the locker room, I suspect.

truth 

and me too

21 hours ago, turningpoint said:

It's a really shitty argument that I see on a lot of Bengals boards and it doesn't make any sense.

WTF does that even mean? Who said we were only "supposed to win" 1 of the games?

In 2011 we got trounced by a team led by a 5th round rookie QB that hasn't played a snap in the NFL since December of 2015. Sure their defense was good, but so was ours....in the regular season. Got beat by the same team in 2012 even though we had a better regular season defense than them this time, but they did have the great Matt Schaub at QB instead of Yates so I guess he was the X factor of why we weren't "supposed to win".

In 2014 we got dismantled by the Colts and DAN fucking HERRON. Lmfao. Oh nooo we can blame it on injuries because no team has ever won a playoff game with a few injuries before. The Vegas line was set at the Colts -3, yet we got beat 26-10. Were we "SUPPOSED" to lose by 16 points?

We all know what happened in Pittsburgh. Nobody needs a refresher on that one, but blame should be put on ML more than anyone else for that meltdown. There's no control, no accountability. It starts at the top. Tomlin would get the blame from everyone on here if it happened the other way around, so why aren't you same people piling on Marvin?

tldr; "we weren't supposed to win!" is a flat out fucking bullshit excuse, especially when you try to use it for 6 straight years

Archived