Why not Adrian Peterson

The Bengals could definitely use an upgrade at the position and Peterson, a first ballot HOF'er, is a FA that hasn't generated much interest in the market. Why shouldn't the Bengals at least consider bringing him in on 1-2 year deal where he can help put this team back in the playoffs? Peterson would definitely give the Bengals the best RB and WR combo in the NFL and make the offense and defense better by taking pressure off of Dalton, giving the offense line a dynamic back to run block for, and keep the defense off the field. 

The Bengals have the cap space to make an offer to him if they wanted to, if I were in charge I would definitely bring him and see if there is a fit. 

30 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I'd be more worried about his cost, production and durability at this point rather than him being a child beater.

I would hope the Bengals would do an incentive based deal, much like Terrell Owens deal.

2 years $14million looks bad, but not if he has to rush for 1000yds and get 8 rushing TD's to earn it.

6 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I would hope the Bengals would do an incentive based deal, much like Terrell Owens deal.

2 years $14million looks bad, but not if he has to rush for 1000yds and get 8 rushing TD's to earn it.

Yeah, it's not like Peterson would be the type to complain about the number of carries...

A) He's already said he's not interested in sharing time with another RB. B) He feels "disrespected" by the deals he's already been offered - either for too little money or with too many incentives.

Dude's an Opera Singer - Mi, Mi, Mi all damn day. No thanks.

1. He's 32-years old. That's ancient for a RB. Especially one who has had a ton of carries and major knee injuries. 

2. He averaged 1.9 yards per carry last year (only 72 carries, but still...). He's definitely lost a step or two.

3. He's not a good receiver and even in his prime struggled running out of the shotgun. 

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

1. He's 32-years old. That's ancient for a RB. Especially one who has had a ton of carries and major knee injuries. 

2. He averaged 1.9 yards per carry last year (only 72 carries, but still...). He's definitely lost a step or two.

3. He's not a good receiver and even in his prime struggled running out of the shotgun. 

Don't forget the fumblitis.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Also likely that our line is equally terrible

Glad I checked the replies before just quoting Weston. Spot on. 

Our run blocking sucked last year and we just lost our 2 best run blockers. If Peterson needs a great line to succeed at this point in his career, we make no sense as a match for him. 

On 4/14/2017 at 6:31 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Glad I checked the replies before just quoting Weston. Spot on. 

Our run blocking sucked last year and we just lost our 2 best run blockers. If Peterson needs a great line to succeed at this point in his career, we make no sense as a match for him. 

When has Peterson played with a WR like AJ Green, they can't load up the box with the Bengals passing game. If the Bengals would draft Fournette, why not sign Peterson if Fournette's not available.

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

When has Peterson played with a WR like AJ Green, they can't load up the box with the Bengals passing game. If the Bengals would draft Fournette, why not sign Peterson if Fournette's not available.

Our run blocking is garbage and we lost our 2 best run blockers over the offseason. They wouldn't have to load the box whether it's Zeke Elliott or a 32 year old Peterson back there. If Peterson was 27 and didn't beat his kids I think a lot more people would be interested in signing him.

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Says the guy who condemns players for chewing out a Watters World reporter, but actively campaigns for a kid-beater.

^ yeah you can't really be a guy that always has a problem with character issues and concerns and then advocate for signing Peterson. With Peterson hitting the extreme age wall for RBs, there's actually a chance Pacman is a better CB than Peterson is RB, so we shouldn't ignore character concern for talent if that's your usual MO.

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Says the guy who condemns players for chewing out a Watters World reporter, but actively campaigns for a kid-beater.

He spanked his son too hard once, you are acting like he's been arrested multiple times for the samething like Pacman. Outside of that one isolated event he hasn't been in trouble, no one in their right minds would compare Peterson to Pacman when it comes to off the field injuries.

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Our run blocking is garbage and we lost our 2 best run blockers over the offseason. They wouldn't have to load the box whether it's Zeke Elliott or a 32 year old Peterson back there. If Peterson was 27 and didn't beat his kids I think a lot more people would be interested in signing him.

^ yeah you can't really be a guy that always has a problem with character issues and concerns and then advocate for signing Peterson. With Peterson hitting the extreme age wall for RBs, there's actually a chance Pacman is a better CB than Peterson is RB, so we shouldn't ignore character concern for talent if that's your usual MO.

I think Peterson has a lot left in the tank and is going to be pissed off that the NFL is doubting his skill level. He's not just some rando RB, he's the best RB in his generation and he can have at least  2 more years of highly productive seasons before he retires and goes to the HOF. 

There is no chance that Pacman is better than Peterson, Pacman never was anywhere near Peterson's level. Peterson is a first ballot HOF'er, Pacman is a career criminal that is only in the NFL because MB thinks he Father Flanagan. 

To be fair, Jones ranked in the top 5/10 in most advanced metrics just 2 years ago. The dude was widely known as a top CB for a few years in stripes. One of the only CBs in the league to shut down guys like Antonio Brown at times. I believe his skills are declining and I'm not so sure Pacman is worth $8M+ per year anymore, but I'm just saying there's more than 0% chance that he's a better CB in 2017 than Peterson is at RB.

Adrian Peterson is one of the best pure runners that we'll probably ever see play the game, and he also was one of the top players at his position just 2 years ago, but that doesn't mean he's still going to be doing that at 32+ years old. We'll have to wait and see how he plays this year, but I don't foresee another 1,500 yard/4.5+ YPC year out of him. We won't be watching him as a Bengals player either way though, I just don't see any possible chance we'd sign him.

4 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

To be fair, Jones ranked in the top 5/10 in most advanced metrics just 2 years ago. The dude was widely known as a top CB for a few years in stripes. One of the only CBs in the league to shut down guys like Antonio Brown at times. I believe his skills are declining and I'm not so sure Pacman is worth $8M+ per year anymore, but I'm just saying there's more than 0% chance that he's a better CB in 2017 than Peterson is at RB.

Adrian Peterson is one of the best pure runners that we'll probably ever see play the game, and he also was one of the top players at his position just 2 years ago, but that doesn't mean he's still going to be doing that at 32+ years old. We'll have to wait and see how he plays this year, but I don't foresee another 1,500 yard/4.5+ YPC year out of him. We won't be watching him as a Bengals player either way though, I just don't see any possible chance we'd sign him.

Jones had a few good years but I would disagree about him being one of the top CB's for a few years and I do think he's has significantly regressed since that time and the risk no longer out weighes the reward. 

As for Peterson is concerned I'm sure he wouldn't be apart of the team but I would love to see the Bengals make a push to sign him, he's the type of player we should be going after if the money makes sense for both sides. 

47 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He spanked his son too hard once, you are acting like he's been arrested multiple times for the samething like Pacman. Outside of that one isolated event he hasn't been in trouble, no one in their right minds would compare Peterson to Pacman when it comes to off the field injuries.

I am not comparing anyone to anyone. I am challenging you for being a moral hypocrite. Either the person "has too many off-field issues" to be on your team (the ones you don't like) or "their off-field issues are not too bad" so they can be on your team (the ones you do like). 

I would say you can't have it both ways and not be duplicitous, but I am sure you can angle your way to piety. 

17 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I am not comparing anyone to anyone. I am challenging you for being a moral hypocrite. Either the person "has too many off-field issues" to be on your team (the ones you don't like) or "their off-field issues are not too bad" so they can be on your team (the ones you do like). 

I would say you can't have it both ways and not be duplicitous, but I am sure you can angle your way to piety. 

There is a big difference a guy making a mistake once, I'm sure most people in the world have gotten in trouble with the law once in their life, and getting arrested 11 times. Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand, but maybe your facination with trying to make me into a hypocrite is blinding you from understanding this logic.

There are numerous of "good" guys that have been arrested once, Leon Hall comes to mind. Peterson hit his son with a switch, something that is very common in many AA homes as a form of discipline. The problem is that the dispenser of the punishment is normally a woman' not a highly trained pro athlete with elite strength. No one thinks Peterson was being malicious nor has he been in any type of legal trouble since. 

Me advocating the Bengals signing Peterson doesn't mean I'm trying to have it both ways, that is the strawiest of the strawman arguments. 

Archived