Tyler Eifert doesn’t know if he’ll be ready to go for training camp

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/18/tyler-eifert-doesnt-know-if-hell-be-ready-to-go-for-training-camp/

Tyler Eifert doesn’t know if he’ll be ready to go for training camp

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 18, 2017, 5:06 AM EDT
504213056-e1475692019129.jpg?w=244Getty Images

The career of Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert has been plagued by injuries, and the injury that ended his 2016 season may affect him into 2017 as well.

Eifert, whose season was cut short by a back injury, had offseason surgery and isn’t sure if he’ll be healthy enough to participate when the Bengals open training camp in three months.

“I don’t know,” Eifert said, via Katherine Terrell of ESPN. “I’ll have to see how I’m feeling and go from there.”

Eifert was in the same situation last year, when a Pro Bowl ankle injury lingered and left him wondering when he’d be ready to go for the regular season. As it turned out, he missed the first six games. This year, Eifert is confident he’ll get to 100 percent eventually, but it might be a while.

“I’ve still lost a lot of strength with the nerve issues and all of that stuff. Just working through some of that. Once I get my strength back I’ll be fine,” he said.

That’s not a great situation for a player to be in, but at this point all the Bengals and Eifert can do is wait and hope that if he’s not ready for July, he’s at least ready for September.

In related news: Water not sure if it will be dry in time for camp.

No shit... It's like a broken fucking record with this team..

Eifert may not be ready for camp!! LOL

Pacman is acting like a dumb fuck again!!

See ya in 2018 for these headlines again.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

I'd like to see Eifert rest this season and heal up, sit out 2018 to strengthen the muscles, use 2019 to get back into 'football shape', and then comeback to football part time in 2020 with an eye towards 2021 to play a full season. 

I'd like to see Eifert rest this season and heal up, sit out 2018 to strengthen the muscles, use 2019 to get back into 'football shape', and then comeback to football part time in 2020 with an eye towards 2021 to play a full season. 

That just might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

5 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Just wait until he's back on the PUP in October due to pregnancy.

Is his girlfriend/wife/whatever pregnant by chance? If so, can somebody please think of the fucking KIDS and give this man an extension?????

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Is his girlfriend/wife/whatever pregnant by chance? If so, can somebody please think of the fucking KIDS and give this man an extension?????

I don't think Rachael Kimack is going to get pregnant. I think Eifert is. He'll be the only NFL TE wrapped in bubble wrap and wearing a Tutu.

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Either I was imagining it, or his condition changes by the day...but didn't he just say recently he was going to be full go for TC?

Tyler Eifert (back surgery) expects to be ready for training camp.

Eifert underwent back surgery last Tuesday. He said he could return sometime during the offseason program, but he said he will no doubt be ready for training camp. Either way, this will be another offseason of rehab for the tight end, who was sidelined by ankle issues last spring. Eifert has played 22 of a possible 48 regular season games the last three seasons. Jan 2 - 11:39 AM

Source: Paul Dehner Jr. on Twitter

and then.....

“I’m feeling good. I continue to get better. My back feels great,’ Eifert assured on Monday.

Eifert doesn’t know when he’ll be cleared to resume regular workouts or work in the May and June camps, but he says he’ll ready for training camp. He isn’t running full steam yet, but he’s been running enough that he feels he’s close to being in tip-top shape.

“I’ll be ready and healthy and strong and be ready to go by the time it’s go time,” Eifert said. “I’m close.”

“It will be nice to have somewhat of an offseason to get ready for the year,” Eifert said. “Instead of coming into camp straight off of injury.”

That one was from just 8 days ago.

This sounds like he was misquoted. Here's the full article from ESPN, not the PFT version:

Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert said his back "feels great" after offseason surgery.

He said he doesn't know at what point he will be able to participate fully in offseason activities, but he thinks he will be ready by training camp.

Eifert missed the entire 2016 offseason, and the first six games, after recovering from an ankle injury in the Pro Bowl. Eifert had a setback early in the season after injuring his back but was able to play through it for eight games. He went on IR for the final two games of the season to have surgery on his back.

Eifert said he just began running again a few weeks ago, and feels close to 100 percent. However, he still has strength issues to work through.

"I'm still doing my rehab and my core stuff, just started doing some change-of-direction stuff so I'm just taking it one step at a time," he said.

He added: "I've still lost a lot of strength with the nerve issues and all of that stuff. Just working through some of that. Once I get my strength back I'll be fine."

Eifert said there will also be certain limitations for the rest of his career due to the nature of his injury, such as doing squats when weight lifting.

"I've worked through a back (issue) before and you just find ways to get the same benefits from different lifts or different ways to work out. You just have to work around it, which is fine. I've done that before," he said.

Eifert, 26, has missed 27 games in his career due to injury. He has played in 37 games for the Bengals with 123 receptions for 1,491 yards and 20 touchdowns. Eifert is entering the final year of his rookie contract.

An April 17 story incorrectly indicated that Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert was unsure of his status for training camp in 2017. In fact, he said he thinks he will be ready for the start of camp.

7 minutes ago, happyrid said:

This sounds like he was misquoted. Here's the full article from ESPN, not the PFT version:

So you are saying the media made up a story by "misquoting" an athlete to generate interest for an article in a slow news cycle? It must be a mistake, they surely wouldn't do anything like this on purpose. 

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

Anyone still think a 2nd contract for Crystal is a good idea?  I'm fine with Howard if he's BPA @ #9.

I guess I'm fine with it too, but can't shake the notion that he's another Vernon Davis - amazing athlete, questionable football player.  Dude is very raw for a top 10 draft pick.  Speaking of hunches though I also think it's likely this team talks themselves into taking an offensive skill player, TE or otherwise.

I think you absolutely give him a second contract. I wouldn't go any further than that. He played 15 games his rookie season and 13 in his big year. I think his second year injury was super flukey. The back would give me pause, but if he shows well this year, you can always tag him and try to get him slightly under what the top guys are demanding hoping he jumps on it. If he doesn't, let him play out the tag year and you have the option of tagging him again if needed.

3 minutes ago, JC said:

I think you absolutely give him a second contract. I wouldn't go any further than that. He played 15 games his rookie season and 13 in his big year. I think his second year injury was super flukey. The back would give me pause, but if he shows well this year, you can always tag him and try to get him slightly under what the top guys are demanding hoping he jumps on it. If he doesn't, let him play out the tag year and you have the option of tagging him again if needed.

I'd be good with this scenario.

Archived