Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamie_B

Andre Smith

13 posts in this topic

My impression is that he really doesn't want to play guard, but will tow the "glad to be here and help out" line officially. 

He has already shown he can play an above-average RT when he was here before; why they want to move him around for the benefit of Fisher, does not make much sense to me. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

My impression is that he really doesn't want to play guard, but will tow the "glad to be here and help out" line officially. 

He has already shown he can play an above-average RT when he was here before; why they want to move him around for the benefit of Fisher, does not make much sense to me. 

I think part of it is just that most guys generally prefer to play tackle. It's where the bigger money and more prestige is. The RTs usually only move inside after they lose a step and nobody wants to admit to losing a step. I also think that part of the RG vs. RT thing is still up in the air a little bit depending upon the draft and how other guys look during camp. 

I expect them to draft someone capable of playing RG in the 2nd or 3rd (probably 3rd IMO) round and then let the best five OL play. If Ogbuehi looks good in training camp, then they'll probably let the rookie and Andre compete for RG.

If Ogbuehi doesn't look much improved from last year, then I think they'd consider moving Fisher to LT, Andre to RT and have the rookie start at RG. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is logical.

But Westerman might be an X-factor in the process too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

My impression is that he really doesn't want to play guard, but will tow the "glad to be here and help out" line officially. 

He has already shown he can play an above-average RT when he was here before; why they want to move him around for the benefit of Fisher, does not make much sense to me. 

He's a great run blocking RT, average at best pass blocking.  His pass blocking is less exposed at RG and his run blocking can be an even bigger strength.  Plus Andre is a short term fix. He also tends to pick up nagging injuries and those are easier to continue playing with at RG as opposed to RT. He's also always projected to be a better RG than RT but when you are drafted in the top 10 you can't put the guy at guard.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall him never being mentioned as a guard prospect. I only remember tackle--and specifically LT--as his natural position. But your points are well taken otherwise.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't believe Andre was ever projected to be better at guard than tackle, that's just absurd. He was coming out of college as an elite LT prospect that could possibly be a RT as well.

Saying he was "always projected to be a better RG than RT" is flat out making things up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah I don't believe Andre was ever projected to be better at guard than tackle, that's just absurd. He was coming out of college as an elite LT prospect that could possibly be a RT as well.

Saying he was "always projected to be a better RG than RT" is flat out making things up.

Paul Alexander recently was interviewed and said they discussed the move years ago. Coming out of the draft the big debate by "the analysts" was he a better fit at RT or RG due to his size? He was never an NFL option at LT.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Paul Alexander recently was interviewed and said they discussed the move years ago. Coming out of the draft the big debate by "the analysts" was he a better fit at RT or RG due to his size? He was never an NFL option at LT.

Man, I typically respect your opinions on things, but this is honestly just you making most of this up. 

1. There is nothing whatsoever that I could find anywhere on the Internet that suggests he was "always considered a better RG than RT". I don't see anyone but you considering him a better RG. 

2. Every scouting report and draft profile I see on him from 2009 talks about how well he will or won't transition to an NFL LT and how he needs to work on his weight and footwork for the big leagues. I think I saw 1 that even mentioned RT briefly and 0 that mention playing guard.

It's cool if it's your opinion that he'd make a better RG, but don't feed us the BS that he was always considered a better guard than tackle by analysts and professionals because it's simply not true. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Paul Alexander recently was interviewed and said they discussed the move years ago.

 

Should that make me more or less confident in the move?

:ninja:

 

They can list him as a WR if they want but I think it's clear he's an insurance policy at RT.  They brought him back to cover for the guy they hand-picked to replace him - that doesn't help their credibility much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

 

Should that make me more or less confident in the move?

:ninja:

 

They can list him as a WR if they want but I think it's clear he's an insurance policy at RT.  They brought him back to cover for the guy they hand-picked to replace him.

I am kind of wondering how much they are going to pay Whitworth to come back next year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I am kind of wondering how much they are going to pay Whitworth to come back next year.

We need to hold on to that money so we can re-sign WJ3 in 2023. Sorry!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on board with bringing Andre back and I don't see the downside if he can stay healthy, which is far from certain.  Whether he plays RG or RT doesn't matter as long as he can plug a hole somewhere.  The line situation is fluid and there is no doubt that they will add at least a couple linemen in the draft.  They still have Westerman waiting in the wings, too.  Fisher and Ogbuehi haven't exactly been the picture of health (or productivity) so it can only be a good thing to have flexibility if one or both of them is hurt or ineffective.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0