Foster failed drug test at combine

Alabama ILB Reuben Foster failed his Combine drug test.

Foster's sample was diluted, which counts as a failed test. He's now in the league's substance-abuse program. Foster claims he failed the test because he was extremely ill and taking in an exceptional amount of fluids. This adds to a nightmare Combine for Foster, who was sent home after getting into an altercation with a hospital worker. Foster is recovering from shoulder surgery. Foster is an elite talent, but could fall to Day 2 because of his growing off-the-field 

Via Rotoworld

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Diluted sample doesn't mean much. It's not a good look, but it's not Rickey Williams either.

It means he's 1 more time being a dumbass for missing 4 games and 2 more times from a hell of a lot of games. He's had about as dumbass of a pre draft process as you can have and was labeled immature by Saban. Imagine he falls somewhere 13-17 and someone in that range takes the chance.  After Odell getting screwed for multiple incidents that he never actually tested positive for I'd steer clear as Goodell loves to screw us over.

Not gonna be our pick at #9,  IMO.  Just this week he takes two major hits with his shoulder injury and now a failed test that will start his NFL career in stage one of the drug program.   I don't see how you can take him that high when there are legit concerns that he could miss games either thru injury or stupidity.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Has he failed any drug tests at 'Bama?  Unless he has this is another issue blown out of proportion.

even if he didn't... being fucking stupid enough to fail a drug test at the combine speaks volumes...

It blows my mind that it happens every year.

and I am not saying I don't want him at all (I do..just later now)... I just don't like his judgement if he is doing that...

So lets see. Just at the combine, the biggest job interview in his life, he gets sent home for getting into an altercation with a hospital worker AND fails a drug test. In addition, he refused to be admitted to hospital for ivs and hydration choosing instead to self hydrate which begs the question why would he refuse that? Unless he was on drugs.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

9 hours ago, fluhartz said:

even if he didn't... being fucking stupid enough to fail a drug test at the combine speaks volumes...

It blows my mind that it happens every year.

and I am not saying I don't want him at all (I do..just later now)... I just don't like his judgement if he is doing that...

He failed for "diluted sample".  They didn't actually find drugs in his system.  He claimed he had been sick and was taking in a lot of fluids.  So unless he has a drug use history this is a non-issue. :smile: 

"There are 2 circumstances that may cause a dilute specimen. The first would be caused by an individual diluting the urine with water, or other liquid, by actually pouring it into the specimen at the time of collection.

The second method of obtaining a dilute specimen is by consuming too many liquids, especially liquids that contain diuretics, prior to collection (i.e. coffee, soda, medications). This may be inadvertent or may be on purpose on the part of the donor."

http://cleanfleet.org/2016/03/what-you-should-know-about-diluted-urine-drug-tests-p1/

I was curious about what a diluted sample meant and how it happens. I would think a lot of players would fail diluted while keeping hydrated for the combine. Leads me to believe drinking a lot of water isn't what made Foster's test diluted.

In and of itself I wouldn't be too worried about the diluted sample.  Throw it in with everything else and there is no way I spend the #9 pick on this clown no matter how talented he is.  Trade down?  Maybe.  Second round?  Definitely.  

"There are 2 circumstances that may cause a dilute specimen. The first would be caused by an individual diluting the urine with water, or other liquid, by actually pouring it into the specimen at the time of collection.
The second method of obtaining a dilute specimen is by consuming too many liquids, especially liquids that contain diuretics, prior to collection (i.e. coffee, soda, medications). This may be inadvertent or may be on purpose on the part of the donor."
http://cleanfleet.org/2016/03/what-you-should-know-about-diluted-urine-drug-tests-p1/
I was curious about what a diluted sample meant and how it happens. I would think a lot of players would fail diluted while keeping hydrated for the combine. Leads me to believe drinking a lot of water isn't what made Foster's test diluted.

Over ten years, I was part of the process for at least 5,000 drug tests. The total number of "internally" diluted samples? Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

35 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I would think a lot of players would fail diluted while keeping hydrated for the combine. Leads me to believe drinking a lot of water isn't what made Foster's test diluted.

It depends... If you're doing the workouts, etc... You want to drop the water weight. It's going to make you look less cut and slow you down. If I'm a WR who wants to be quick and look muscular, I'm going into the morning weigh in a little dehydrated and then hitting the gatorade as soon as the medical portion is over.

If you've been recently ill and are trying to keep your weight up so you don't go in to the medical weighing 215, you're going to drink as much water as you can stand. You can easily add 8 pounds by drinking a gallon of water. Bodybuilders usually shed 10-15 pounds of water weight before competition.

22 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

The total number of "internally" diluted samples? Zero.

That's interesting.... They've recently had to change the creatinine threshold due to a large number of "negative dilutes" in federal employment. We see them often. Now, I don't know if that was internal dilution or not.... But my guy tells me that there's no more "pound a gallon of water - pass test" anymore. (When my wife was in the Navy, almost every soldier had a gallon jug of water next to their bunk for surprise testing.)

Frankly, even if you are flushing, a little B12 and some extra creatine and you're still going to come out alright. God knows PLENTY of massive pot heads have made it to the NFL and passed their combine drug tests. Randy Gregory came right out and said he was a massive pot head and it dropped him to the second round.

IMHO, if this is something he was doing on purpose, he could have been smarter about it. Teams can check his medical history, talk to his docs. It's also interesting that Foster was the one who "owned up" to what happened. This isn't an anonymous leak, Foster told Ian "I'm not" Rappaport himself. 

Interesting to see where he falls, but I'm guessing he's still a first rounder.

14 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I think this combined with the shoulder injury concerns, combine blow up and reportedly bombing interviews is going to drop him to the 2nd round.

I can tell you that the fans of teams in the 20's are blowing up the comments of these articles still wanting him. That usually doesn't correspond to what the GM's are thinking. (Especially Denver... LOL. "It's legal here bro!")

Draft experts don't think it's going to hurt his stock much either. Maybe a slide into the 20's.

Whatever... We still took on Burfict and he had more red flags than Tiannamen Square.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2012/4/25/2974455/vontaze-burfict-failed-drug-test

As a good friend of mine once said, "If they had a brain, they wouldn't be playing LB."

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I can tell you that the fans of teams in the 20's are blowing up the comments of these articles still wanting him. That usually doesn't correspond to what the GM's are thinking. (Especially Denver... LOL. "It's legal here bro!")

Draft experts don't think it's going to hurt his stock much either. Maybe a slide into the 20's.

Whatever... We still took on Burfict and he had more red flags than Tiannamen Square.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2012/4/25/2974455/vontaze-burfict-failed-drug-test

As a good friend of mine once said, "If they had a brain, they wouldn't be playing LB."

Big difference in signing a guy as a FA and making him the #9 pick of the draft.  Still, I agree he will be picked and maybe late in the first.  He should be a no-go at #9 as far as I'm concerned.

Archived