Star Wars IX

Go Skins

Just got back from my showing, wanted to share my thoughts while they were still fresh. As critics have stated, the movie tries to do a lot, and for the most part that's true though not as much as I was expecting. It's also about ten minutes shorter than I expected too, unless I just misjudged how many trailers there were.

As a Star Wars fan, I must say I really enjoyed it. In my theater, it got a round of applause. From what I've seen online, most "Star Wars fans" have really enjoyed it. There have been some detractors as well. Having seen the movie now, I have a feeling I know which things they didn't like. There's some things I didn't like either, even though I really enjoyed it. The fact that I didn't like a few plot choices doesn't make them, or the movie bad, it just means I wouldn't have made those choices if I was in the directors shoes. The fact that they exist doesn't make the movie bad. It's tough to really describe without spoilers. Yes, a few things lack depth, which I'm sure critics have railed on, but they are plausible even without depth. And it's not like Star Wars has ever been known for in-depth writing.

It also should be pointed out that Abrams had a near impossible task with Episode IX. He had to:

1. Make a good movie in it’s own right
  2. Bring a satisfying end to a 9 movie saga
  3. Win back a fandom that is as divided as ever
  4. Motivate fans new and old to come out for this after the last two movies weren’t beloved by all
  5. Bring a satisfying conclusion to Leia’s arc without the ability to film any new footage with her

That’s an incredible amount to ask for any filmmaker, and IMO Abrams mostly succeeds. He also ties in subtle things from the animated Star Wars Rebels and video game "Jedi Fallen Order". That's the first time a movie has done that to my knowledge.

As far who will like this movie, I've seen it said that If you like Force Awakens and dislike Last Jedi, you'll enjoy this movie. If you preferred Last Jedi to Force Awakens, maybe you won't like this as much. As someone who loved both, I really enjoyed Rise of Skywalker.

Furthermore, it should be pointed out that it's not like any Star Wars movie has been perfect. Even the originals have some truly cringeworthy dialogue. As does the prequels. So yes, I think this movie fits in with all the rest. Not perfect, but it follows the tradition and heart of the others.

if there was one thing I'd say this movie was lacking, it was more "holy crap" moments. And to be fair, it does have moments like that in which I had unfortunately been spoiled to before the movie started. So others may have a different take on that.

Overall, I think longtime Star Wars fans will enjoy it. Fans of the new trilogy certainly should.

As far as a grade goes, I'd give it a solid B+. It has its issues, but does enough justice to everything it needed to serve. In the trilogy, gut reaction I'd go

The Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
The Force Awakens

I had read the spoilers so I knew what was going to happen going in, but the execution was what I wanted to see.

This whole trilogy has been so frustrating to me, because it's not been good or bad, just very mediocre. There is so much they could have done but instead they just retold 4,5, and 6, but with bigger weapons and more God-like force powers.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw the last movie last night and I did manage to avoid most spoilers.  I have to say that overall I liked the movie.  I’m still processing and do need to see it a few more times.  I know I liked the look and feel of this one (and the Last Jedi). Spoilers likely below....

Spoiler

1)  I do not subscribe to the "you'll like this if you didn't like The Last Jedi" line of thought.  They are different movies.  Good and bad things through the whole series.

2)  I was very uncomfortable with the Carrie Fisher scenes.  I know they had to resolve her story line some how.  The technical integration was good.  That said her role in the film didn't work for me.  It is because Carrie is dead and I know they were trying to resolved it?  Did it feel forced?  There were probably a few things running through my mind when I was watching it.  I was surprised how much there was of her in the movie.  I almost wish they could have adjusted the end of The Last Jedi to Leia sacrificing instead of Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern).  

3)  Not sure I was ready for the Han Solo cameo.  I do feel like they had to bring him back to add a little extra.  I assume some of that conversation would have fallen to Leia.

4)  Wedge cameo was cool but I almost missed it because it was so quick.

5)  I did think they did humor better in this one (C3P0 specifically).

6)  Keri Russell looked cool, but I'm not sure how much that character brought to the film.  At least her role was pretty limited.

7)  I feel like Lando should have had more to say and do. Although I’m not sure Billy Dee would have been able to pull more off.

8- I dislike Poe more than ever.  I feel like he has been designated to be given the big cheesy lines through the series.

9) I’m disappointed in that Captain Phasma wasn’t really a more prominent bad ‘guy’.  It seems like they set her up to be kind of cool and then it never really panned out.

10)  It is packed.  My wife commented that she thought it should have been two movies.

11)  Not sure what I feel about Rey being a Palpatine.  I may be disappointed that she isn't a secret Luke, Han, or even Kenobi love child.

12)  Why did Luke have to bring his X-Wing out of the water?  It should have been Rey.

This film made me feel pretty sad upon the initial viewing.  It may have been a combination of knowing Carrie Fisher was dead, Han and Luke as characters are dead.  So much of what made the originals were their interactions.  I miss those characters together.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but those are my initial ones.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:17 PM, Montana Bengal said:

I finally saw the last movie last night and I did manage to avoid most spoilers.  I have to say that overall I liked the movie.  I’m still processing and do need to see it a few more times.  I know I liked the look and feel of this one (and the Last Jedi). Spoilers likely below....

Hide contents

1)  I do not subscribe to the "you'll like this if you didn't like The Last Jedi" line of thought.  They are different movies.  Good and bad things through the whole series.

2)  I was very uncomfortable with the Carrie Fisher scenes.  I know they had to resolve her story line some how.  The technical integration was good.  That said her role in the film didn't work for me.  It is because Carrie is dead and I know they were trying to resolved it?  Did it feel forced?  There were probably a few things running through my mind when I was watching it.  I was surprised how much there was of her in the movie.  I almost wish they could have adjusted the end of The Last Jedi to Leia sacrificing instead of Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern).  

3)  Not sure I was ready for the Han Solo cameo.  I do feel like they had to bring him back to add a little extra.  I assume some of that conversation would have fallen to Leia.

4)  Wedge cameo was cool but I almost missed it because it was so quick.

5)  I did think they did humor better in this one (C3P0 specifically).

6)  Keri Russell looked cool, but I'm not sure how much that character brought to the film.  At least her role was pretty limited.

7)  I feel like Lando should have had more to say and do. Although I’m not sure Billy Dee would have been able to pull more off.

8- I dislike Poe more than ever.  I feel like he has been designated to be given the big cheesy lines through the series.

9) I’m disappointed in that Captain Phasma wasn’t really a more prominent bad ‘guy’.  It seems like they set her up to be kind of cool and then it never really panned out.

10)  It is packed.  My wife commented that she thought it should have been two movies.

11)  Not sure what I feel about Rey being a Palpatine.  I may be disappointed that she isn't a secret Luke, Han, or even Kenobi love child.

12)  Why did Luke have to bring his X-Wing out of the water?  It should have been Rey.

This film made me feel pretty sad upon the initial viewing.  It may have been a combination of knowing Carrie Fisher was dead, Han and Luke as characters are dead.  So much of what made the originals were their interactions.  I miss those characters together.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but those are my initial ones.

Agree with 1, 7, and 9. Disagree wholeheartedly on 8. 2 I think they did the best they could and even made fun of themselves one one scene I think. 

17 hours ago, Bengals1181 said:

Agree with 1, 7, and 9. Disagree wholeheartedly on 8. 2 I think they did the best they could and even made fun of themselves one one scene I think. 

I do think they did what they could with what they had with Carrie - it was just uncomfortable for me.  I need to watch a few more times (likely wont' be until it is released on streaming).

4 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

I do think they did what they could with what they had with Carrie - it was just uncomfortable for me.  I need to watch a few more times (likely wont' be until it is released on streaming).

I hear ya. It was smoother for me the first time than it was in subsequent viewings. 

Archived