Bengals looking at John Ross at #9 overall

Holy shit, I'll punch myself right in the dick if this happens. I must say I lol'd at one of the quotes.

"One team that I'm told has given Ross a clean bill of health is the Cincinnati Bengals, and the receiver is in the conversation for the ninth pick of the draft.

His knees were given the green light by their doctors"

LOL well hey, as long as the great Bengals medical staff that we all know and love are giving him the green light, why isn't everyone else?

Seeing a guy we may take with a top 10 draft pick and "combine superstar" and "injuries" all throughout the report sounds about right. Fuck us, right?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/25/15406084/report-john-ross-consideration-bengals-round-1-pick

16 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Holy shit, I'll punch myself right in the dick if this happens. I must say I lol'd at one of the quotes.

"One team that I'm told has given Ross a clean bill of health is the Cincinnati Bengals, and the receiver is in the conversation for the ninth pick of the draft.

His knees were given the green light by their doctors"

LOL well hey, as long as the great Bengals medical staff that we all know and love are giving him the green light, why isn't everyone else?

Seeing a guy we may take with a top 10 draft pick and "combine superstar" and "injuries" all throughout the report sounds about right. Fuck us, right?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/25/15406084/report-john-ross-consideration-bengals-round-1-pick

Whenever I see a Bengals draft prediction from sports analysts, I always get the feeling that they are assuming we will make a bad pick. Their predictions aren't what they think the right move is, but what the Bengals will do, even though the Bengals drafts have been pretty solid the last few years. Except for Tacklegate a couple of years ago was a head scratcher, but it's still too early to tell.

And so continues our annual tradition of drafting depth for the IR.

He's not a skilled receiver, and he's undersized. He's going to get killed doing traditional WR2 work in the middle of the field.

Do I hate taking the guy 6-7 spots "early"? No, but he's not even my top WR much less the BPA to my mind. If we're going to reach, I'd rather take Lamp.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Whenever I see a Bengals draft prediction from sports analysts, I always get the feeling that they are assuming we will make a bad pick. Their predictions aren't what they think the right move is, but what the Bengals will do, even though the Bengals drafts have been pretty solid the last few years. Except for Tacklegate a couple of years ago was a head scratcher, but it's still too early to tell.

The article makes it seem like something coming from those "in the know" in the Bengals organization though, not just a random analyst prediction. The Bengals medical staff wouldn't have made it clear that they're giving Ross the green light if the Bengals didn't have any interest in him at 9.

9 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

He's not a skilled receiver, and he's undersized. He's going to get killed doing traditional WR2 work in the middle of the field.

Do I hate taking the guy 6-7 spots "early"? No, but he's not even my top WR much less the BPA to my mind. If we're going to reach, I'd rather take Lamp.

Yup, yup, annndddd yup.

I would want Williams or Davis over him if we're really set on taking a WR.

Tyler Boyd was an amazing outside WR at PITT but he's a much better slot receiver at the NFL level IMO, so if we take Ross we either put Boyd or Ross into a position that neither of them belong in. I don't like that very much.

My mind is blown every time I hear that we need a receiver to take the top off the defense because we don't have one, people act like AJ fucking Green is some slow, body catching possession receiver or something. Green/LaFell/Boyd with a pass catching TE/RB combo is the ideal "style" of receivers you want in the NFL. I really don't think we need an undersized one trick pony to add to that.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Seeing a guy we may take with a top 10 draft pick and "combine superstar" and "injuries" all throughout the report sounds about right.

Said before that I think they'll talk themselves into overdrafting a questionable offensive "skill position" guy.  Guess we'll know soon enough!

20 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

The article makes it seem like something coming from those "in the know" in the Bengals organization though, not just a random analyst prediction.

And you can be pretty sure than any "inside info" released the day before the draft is a smokescreen. With the Brown/Bengals penchant for playing their cards close to the vest, the chance that this "report" is anything but a guess is slim. If Marvin Lewis walked into my office right now and told me they were drafting Foster, I'd be 100% positive they weren't going to draft Foster.

IMHO, it's most likely that this is being generated by Ross' camp.

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And you can be pretty sure than any "inside info" released the day before the draft is a smokescreen. With the Brown/Bengals penchant for playing their cards close to the vest, the chance that this "report" is anything but a guess is slim. If Marvin Lewis walked into my office right now and told me they were drafting Foster, I'd be 100% positive they weren't going to draft Foster.

IMHO, it's most likely that this is being generated by Ross' camp.

Hopefully.

Lap mentioned double dipping at WR and he's been pretty accurate guessing the positions we draft, even with the ones that nobody else saw coming. He did mention that he wasn't sure which rounds it would happen in but one could be the 1st. With the information coming out that the Bengals' doctors have given Ross the green light medically and knowing that we love drafting players to put on the IR, seeing this type of article makes me nervous.

I hope you're right about it coming from the Ross side and not ours.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=551967

"Cincinnati & Carolina are in heavy talks with San Francisco, but Carolina's offer of three picks (first, second, third) is currently the best offer San Francisco has for the #2 pick. Word is that Cleveland has asked for time to make a presentation to the 49ers, but if the Carolina deal goes through, it is with the Panthers' intention of taking Fournette."

So, who do we want to trade up to #2 for?

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

"Cincinnati & Carolina are in heavy talks with San Francisco, but Carolina's offer of three picks (first, second, third) is currently the best offer San Francisco has for the #2 pick. Word is that Cleveland has asked for time to make a presentation to the 49ers, but if the Carolina deal goes through, it is with the Panthers' intention of taking Fournette."

Fournette is the rumor

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Solomon Thomas? It can't be anyone else...right? Is there anyone worth trading half of your draft for at #2 this year?

If it's Fournette....lol. I don't even want him at #9. Please don't give up that many picks to take a fucking running back.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Agreed, I really think LAMP is the safest pick at #9 and I'm starting to think that's the way to go, he can site behind Andre for a year.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Draft a guard from WKU 9th overall? 

Meh. At this point I'd rather have him over an undersized receiver that we don't need, a pass rusher that doesn't fit our system, or a running back in general.

Not to say I'd be thrilled with Lamp, but holy shit some of the players that are being strongly suggested as our #9 pick are just about making me sick. There are about a dozen other guys that will likely be on board that I'd rather have than Lamp, but he sounds like hitting the lottery compared to the folks clamoring for Reddick/Ross/Fournette/etc.

2 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Meh. At this point I'd rather have him over an undersized receiver that we don't need, a pass rusher that doesn't fit our system, or a running back in general.

Not to say I'd be thrilled with Lamp, but holy shit some of the players that are being strongly suggested as our #9 pick are just about making me sick. There are about a dozen other guys that will likely be on board that I'd rather have than Lamp, but he sounds like hitting the lottery compared to the folks clamoring for Reddick/Ross/Fournette/etc.

Yeah that's pretty much what i was saying....Lamp>>>>>ROSS

Honestly, this draft is so strange, I have no clue who i really want the bengals to take besides Malik Hooker. It's really a wait and see how the 1st 8 picks go and hope one of the top 7 or so players falls into our lap and that's the guy i want us to draft. I hope it Hooker, but I'd take OJ Howard at this point if he falls to us.

Responding to multiple comments above...

Rule #1 - believe nothing you hear coming from "inside sources" within 2 weeks of the draft

Rule #2 - in case you are tempted to believe something you hear...see rule #1

Hypothetically...if the Bengals did trade up to #2, I certainly hope it is for Jamal Adams or Solomon Thomas...and not any RB

If they stick at 9, and he is there...They need to take Reuben Foster.  Wouldn't you rather see him paired with Burfict, than say...Shazier?

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

What does he lack? 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

What skill does he lack?

Oh, and Lapham on the Bengals Booth podcast said Ross.

Haha the knees thing was a joke, but as far as ability on an NFL field goes..

He's obviously a small guy, I don't think he's going to utilize his speed with physical corners pressing him. He isn't a magician or a ghost with the ability to run through defenders, he's going to get hit and obviously going to get punished if they have him going in the middle of the field. He'll need to run routes that (IMO) he can't handle whether he's the WR2 or slot receiver.

For the most part I just don't feel we need a player with his skillset and the injuries make me not want him even more. I'd rather have a Mike Williams type over Ross if I had to pick a WR. Davis is fine too, I just can't see what Ross does for this offense. I feel like I read about these small framed WRs that are going to burn up the league every year and they rarely live up to the hype. To be fair, most players in the entire draft at ANY position fail to live up to the crazy expectations set by analysts and fans, but these small, quick receivers don't seem to ever pan out very well compared to what people claim they will do for an offense.

Let's say Ross does stay healthy, I can't figure out how he makes our offense better where Howard, Williams, Davis, Foster, Barnett, etc. immediately make their position group stronger. I'm sure LIDJ can explain why he said what he did about Ross' skill, but I personally have a bigger issue with just not thinking we need that style of WR.

I know, I know, it's right before the draft so everything is a smokescreen, buuuuuuuuuuttttttt might as well discuss the possibilities.

Reports are now out that the Browns may take Trubisky with the #1 pick and the Bengals are fighting with the Panthers to trade up to #2.

Maybe we're trying to get the 49ers interested in a conditional trade where we'll give them a king's ransom if Myles Garrett is there at #2? Just spitballing here but I can't see any other reason at all that we'd be 1 of 2 teams trying to trade up for a premium draft choice.

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

Yeah it would be like drafting a DE from Buffalo #5 overall, really stupid, haha those dumbass raiders. i mean seriously the university of buffalo?????? :rolleyes:

That was a DE.  When was the last time a guard was drafted in the top 10?

Archived