Bengals looking at John Ross at #9 overall

8 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Ted Ginn Jr Jr. Not worth the 9th pick. Injury problems and size concerns. Dropsies. Inexperienced route runner. 

So many other better players will be there at 9. 

Dropsies?

Inexperienced route runner?

Sometimes I feel like if a player runs fast a lot of people want to instantly assume he's bad at everything else. Why?

Ross caught 13 touchdowns in the red zone last year. That's way more than Ted Ginn had in his entire career. I don't see the comparison.

Scouting report:

Has home-run gear to yank the top off of defenses. Vertical speed demands respect and creates open throws underneath. Corners open hips early to turn and sprint, leaving his curl and dig routes unchallenged. Feet are fire. On verticals from the slot, sells the corner route and stems to the post with a burst for easy separation and a comfortable throwing window for the quarterback. Hands are generally solid. Plus hand-eye coordination. Natural ball-tracker who locates the deep ball early and watches it. Dangerous show-and-go open-field ability after the catch. Able to win with slants or fades near the goal line. Eludes the first tackler and can turn a short one into a long one in a heartbeat. Has enough size to work from outside or from the slot. Saw four of his eight carries go for 15-plus yards. Has returned at least one kickoff for a touchdown in each of his three years at Washington.

Lapham's take on Ross:

Lapham believes Ross’ 4.21 40-yard speed (a Combine record and “wow” factor), polished route running ability, good hands, and history as a defensive back, all make him a great prospect for the Bengals in the top 10. 

“I think there’s value there. And to me, if he can stretch the field on the other side with A.J., now, everybody is backpeddling, everyone is backing off. It not only helps A.J., it helps Tyler Eifert, in the middle of the field, to exploit that even more. Can’t load the box up, now all the sudden, the box is open and you have some more running lanes

Weaknesses

Undersized with below-average play strength. Struggled to get into his routes cleanly and impact the game against the physical cornerbacks at Alabama. Weight will creep too far out over his toes at times. Tape shows occasional stumbles over nothing but turf in his routes and after the catch. Needs to do better job of working back to the throw. Has to learn to make contested catches. Will need to sharpen his short and intermediate routes to become a true three-level target. Has had a major injury to both knees. The long-term health of both knees will be a concern that has to be answered at the combine.

Second part of the scouting report

7 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Ross dropped only 6 of 105 catchable passes in the past 2 years.

I don't want Ross whatsoever, but just throwing that out there for any hands debate. He doesn't drop many passes.

I wasn't making it up. Read it somewhere.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079710

Here it is. "Tends to body catch when the ball is thrown at his numbers and will have his share of focus drops and double-catches."

46 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Ted Ginn Jr Jr. Not worth the 9th pick. Injury problems and size concerns. Dropsies. Inexperienced route runner. 

Will Fuller is not in this draft. None of those qualities describes John Ross.  

2 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I wasn't making it up. Read it somewhere.

Yeah that's fine I was just putting the stats out there for clarification. I'm not doubting that you could have read it online somewhere.

There are some teams that have Ross off their board due to the injuries, so it's clearly something that professional organizations are thinking about. It's not just some made up thing by the fans, so I'm totally with you on that one. I also don't believe any part of scouting reports that mention that he can easily beat press coverage, not in the NFL against experienced DBs at least. From what I've watched and also read from various outlets, he had more issues with the more physical corners last year than anything else, and he's going to be going up against better, more physical ones at the NFL level.

I don't think Ross is horrible or anything, just please noooooooo at #9 overall and even in general for our team, we don't need his skillset.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Will Fuller is not in this draft. None of those qualities describes John Ross.  

Injury concerns? Size concerns? Drops and route running may have been an exaggeration but the other 2 are obvious concerns.

10 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Ross compares to Antonio Brown or Jackson in my book   .  Same build same shiftyness n ability  .  Ted Ginn, Heyward-bay are taller more syraightline spedsters like Darney Scott.    Ross would be a star with the Stealers but not here

Agreed. Brandin Cooks is also a pretty good comp. 

And those guys with legit deep speed get PAID in FA. DJax is 31 and has a bit of an attitude problem and just got a monster $11M per year deal. Even if he's just a deep guy like DJax, that's still a very valuable skill that costs $10M a year in FA.

2 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Injury concerns? Size concerns? Drops and route running may have been an exaggeration but the other 2 are obvious concerns.

Sorry, I was focussed more on the drops, and routes.  And I don't think his size is a "concern" beyond it's not what the Bengals prefer.  

7 hours ago, whodey1971 said:

Responding to multiple comments above...

Rule #1 - believe nothing you hear coming from "inside sources" within 2 weeks of the draft

Rule #2 - in case you are tempted to believe something you hear...see rule #1

Hypothetically...if the Bengals did trade up to #2, I certainly hope it is for Jamal Adams or Solomon Thomas...and not any RB

If they stick at 9, and he is there...They need to take Reuben Foster.  Wouldn't you rather see him paired with Burfict, than say...Shazier?

Rule #3  Unless it's Dave Lapham.

6 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Luckily he has a total of 2 things in common with Ginn. He is fast and he plays WR. After that the comparisons are completely gone.

Lapham seems to think the pick will be Ross and I have no reason to doubt him.  I am on record in support of Ross if they take him.  I think it will be a risk given his extensive injury history, but his speed is rare.  He can also factor in the return game.  I believe the Desean Jackson comparison is valid.  We will just need to pray he can hold up physically.

Archived