Bengals looking at John Ross at #9 overall

30 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Ross is the pick.  Lap just pretty much guarantee the pick.  Spoke highly of Ross.  LF, or Allen would be the pick if they are there  

FWIW, Lap was kind of down on John Allen. Mentioned him as an option he liked if they traded down and noted his lack of speed and shoulder injuries. Not that what Lapham says is gospel, but he usually has pretty good insight into how the Bengals view guys.

Reading between the lines, Lapham made it sound like Solomon Thomas was tops of their somewhat realistic options. Then Fournette, Foster and Ross in some order.

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Lapham seems to think the pick will be Ross and I have no reason to doubt him.  I am on record in support of Ross if they take him.  I think it will be a risk given his extensive injury history, but his speed is rare.  He can also factor in the return game.  I believe the Desean Jackson comparison is valid.  We will just need to pray he can hold up physically.

I get the injury concern, but knee injuries of his sort don't tend to be chronic like back injuries or microfracture.  Plus Anthony Munoz had a similar injury history and turned out ok while Chris Perry had no injury history and couldn't stay on the field.

Oh cool, so now we have an even BETTER Antonio Brown in this year's draft to go along with all of the other extreme, over the top comparisons to all time great current/former players.

I'm sure all 32 NFL teams are feeling lucky this year that they're each getting a Hall of Fame player somewhere in the draft. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Absolutely nothing. Future stud. The only better option outside of Garrett is Solomon Thomas.

Holy shit.

A dude that basically NOBODY talked about until underwear day is the best option outside of Garrett and Thomas?

I don't even think Ross is the best WR option, let alone at any position past Garrett/Thomas. It seems the Bengals agree with him at #9 so it's going to suck watching Williams, Davis, and Howard having productive NFL careers while Ross can't find his way out of press coverage in the NFL.

I hope the folks so obsessed with Ross know more about the guy than his 17 TDs last year in college and that he can run super, duper fast in spandex.

15 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Ross compares to Antonio Brown or Jackson in my book

Or Peter Warrick... Except Warrick had a much more stellar college career.

See, that's the problem. You want to compare him to Brown? Brown was a 6th round pick. Jackson was the 7th receiver taken in his draft. No one took them as the first guy off the board because they were sure-fire HOF players. (Brandon LaFell went higher than Brown)

For every Antonio Brown comparison you make, there's a Golden Tate or Percy Harvin.

28 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Or Peter Warrick... Except Warrick had a much more stellar college career.

See, that's the problem. You want to compare him to Brown? Brown was a 6th round pick. Jackson was the 7th receiver taken in his draft. No one took them as the first guy off the board because they were sure-fire HOF players. (Brandon LaFell went higher than Brown)

For every Antonio Brown comparison you make, there's a Golden Tate or Percy Harvin.

None of those receivers could run a 4.2 forty.That's the difference.

16 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Ross compares to Antonio Brown or Jackson in my book   .  Same build same shiftyness n ability  .  Ted Ginn, Heyward-bay are taller more syraightline spedsters like Darney Scott.    Ross would be a star with the Stealers but not here

NFL.com has him compared to DeShawn Jackson

CBS Sports has him compared to Brandin Cooks

Name a first round draft bust in the past 10 years and I'll bet you can find where analysts and fans compared them to an all time great or current great player as well.

"Player comps" are the silliest fucking thing possible to try to make a point with.

17 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

That video of Ross is great, I'm glad he can run past redshirt sophomores who aren't even going to be drafted in the NFL.

Anything that shows him able to beat even decent bump and run CBs?

Cough cough. He destroyed Adore Jackson the cb from USC who will get drafted high.   And every day in practice he went up against the second or even first best secondary in college football . I'd rather have Barnette or Foster then Ross but I'm not hating on him either   .  

1 minute ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Cough cough. He destroyed Adore Jackson the cb from USC who will get drafted high.   And every day in practice he went up against the second or even first best secondary in college football . I'd rather have Barnette or Foster then Ross but I'm not hating on him either   .  

Well shit I guess Bodine is pretty good then because he goes up against Geno Atkins at practice.

Or something.

too many questions around ross, health, durability, #9 pick on a 2-3 WR... i wouldnt be too stoked..

foster is a rare talent. truly worthy of a top 10 pick talent wise.. 

i hear lots of talk of ross being around at 20 from local media, so taking him at 9 has me not excited at all.

13 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

You ignored the Ross destroyed Adore Jackson a future 1st round nfl CB.  

It's a more valid point than talking about who he goes up against during practice, but the fact that you can only name 1 single CB worth a shit may say something. Not only that, but Ross v Jackson has absolutely nothing to do with my entire point that Ross will struggle against physical, press schemes with even halfway decent NFL caliber corners. Jackson is small framed (like Ross) and isn't the type of CB Ross would be seeing on a regular basis.

The NFL just ain't college ball, my man. There's a reason a lot of these guys fall off the map once they hit the big leagues. You have to look at how they project in the NFL more than anything, and Ross doesn't seem like he will IMO.

Ross played in the same conference as Solomon Thomas .  So everyone Thomas went against was shit as well?  Ross excelled against everyone that came his way.  It's not his fault he played in the Pac 12 conference  .  Ross is very similar to d Jackson , Brandon Cook , Brown.   He will do well in the NFL.

On 4/26/2017 at 10:56 AM, LostInDaJungle said:

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=551967

"Cincinnati & Carolina are in heavy talks with San Francisco, but Carolina's offer of three picks (first, second, third) is currently the best offer San Francisco has for the #2 pick. Word is that Cleveland has asked for time to make a presentation to the 49ers, but if the Carolina deal goes through, it is with the Panthers' intention of taking Fournette."

So, who do we want to trade up to #2 for?

Miles Garrett.  I have a feeling Cleveland shocks the world and takes Trubisky no. 1. But, only if they dont think they can move that 12 pick to the top 5 for him. 

2 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Ross played in the same conference as Solomon Thomas .  So everyone Thomas went against was shit as well?  Ross excelled against everyone that came his way.  It's not his fault he played in the Pac 12 conference  .  Ross is very similar to d Jackson , Brandon Cook , Brown.   He will do well in the NFL.

I've made plenty of posts pointing out reasons other than competition that I don't think Ross is going to be very good, especially not for us. No need to re-hash it all yet again, just read my post history on the guy even if it's just through this thread. I've made my thoughts pretty clear.

I'm not a guy that's going to randomly hate on a potential prospect for just 1 single reason. There are things I don't like about a lot of the potential picks at #9 but I have a lot more issues with Ross than any of the others. Size, injury history, I don't think we need his skillset, I don't think we will be able to utilize him properly, he's never shown that he can beat bump n run, he looks like a guy that will get destroyed against the most mediocre of CBs in press coverage, his routes are meh, he wasn't talked about until underwear day. That's all stuff I have issues with without even mentioning competition.

There are a lot of guys "similar" in ways to NFL greats, but they aren't all going to automatically become those guys. John Ross is fast, cool.

"Make no mistake—he's not a one-dimensional straight-line guy," Farrar wrote. "Ross can run complex route concepts, his foot fakes at the line are ridiculous, and he's not afraid to go over the middle. He caught 13 balls last season thrown over 20 yards in the air—just two fewer than the entire Ravens receiver corps."

So what's the problem? Why did four of the writers here at B/R single out Ross as the biggest Round 1 reach of 2017?

In a word, durability.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock relayed in a conference call with reporters that Ross' lengthy injury history has caused some teams to pull him from their draft boards altogether:

I don't care if he runs 4.22 or 4.32 or 4.42, I mean, he flies. The concern there, and there are some teams that have pushed him down the board or off the board because of injury. He's got the surgery on his shoulder, he's had surgery on both knees, and he's got a small frame. So the durability is a big issue with him right now.

For Bleacher Report NFL Analyst Brad Gagnon, the concerns regarding Ross go beyond his injury history:

It's not as though I don't love John Ross, because speed is just fun. And he's more than just a burner. That being said, he'll be overdrafted for that speed, which should probably be viewed as a bonus and nothing more. Mike Williams is clearly a better all-around player and Corey Davis put up silly numbers in college, but there's a chance Ross is drafted before one or both of those guys. That would be a mistake.

Ross will be in Philadelphia for the draft Thursday, and it's more likely than not that before the night's festivities conclude he'll have a new home.

But whoever drafts Ross will be gambling a bit. All that speed isn't much good if he can't stay on the field.

I am coming around on Ross.  I've listened to every Lap interview I could find and his enthusiasm about him is starting to pump me up.  I look at it this way, if the guy were to catch a half a dozen long balls in the season next year, then he is adding enough value for me.  Injury is the obviously the big worry for me, but it only takes 1 play for everyone on the roster when it comes to injury.

Archived