Bengals looking at John Ross at #9 overall

Lapham's "Dream Scenario" pic was trade down 10 15 and take Barnett, if Barnett isnt there take Harris or McKinley and get a extra 2nd or 3rd 

and his likely pick was John Ross due to his 4.21 speed

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Bengals-Booth-Podcast-Draft-Preview/776b037a-360c-404f-a976-63ce95254cf4

41 minutes ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I am coming around on Ross.  I've listened to every Lap interview I could find and his enthusiasm about him is starting to pump me up.  I look at it this way, if the guy were to catch a half a dozen long balls in the season next year, then he is adding enough value for me.  Injury is the obviously the big worry for me, but it only takes 1 play for everyone on the roster when it comes to injury.

Sure, but not everyone on the roster has already had surgery on their everything before they were even drafted.

College injury history isn't always a predictor of NFL injuries. Unless they are back related or chronic issues, which Ross's aren't.  Munoz had a horrible injury history at USC and clean in the NFL. Chris Perry had no injury history at UM but couldn't stay healthy here.  

1 minute ago, Jason said:

College injury history isn't always a predictor of NFL injuries. Unless they are back related or chronic issues, which Ross's aren't.  Munoz had a horrible injury history at USC and clean in the NFL. Chris Perry had no injury history at UM but couldn't stay healthy here.  

Yes, outliers exist.  This does not make me any more excited about an undersized, understrength WR with an injury history.

10 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Holy shit.

A dude that basically NOBODY talked about until underwear day is the best option outside of Garrett and Thomas?

I don't even think Ross is the best WR option, let alone at any position past Garrett/Thomas. It seems the Bengals agree with him at #9 so it's going to suck watching Williams, Davis, and Howard having productive NFL careers while Ross can't find his way out of press coverage in the NFL.

I hope the folks so obsessed with Ross know more about the guy than his 17 TDs last year in college and that he can run super, duper fast in spandex.

Yep I've never heard of Ross prior to the combine that I put 0 stock in...I never watched him give me vibes like Desean Jackson at Washington. I've been touting the John Ross to Cincy hope since we showed interest in Will Fuller (who sucks) last year...now I wasn't expecting him to be a first round pick then because of missing his junior year but he came on and played lights out this season and is a viable top 2 WR. I love Corey Davis but the team doesn't.  I also don't want Ross over Thomas. Thomas is hands down #1 if he somehow finds his way to #9. 

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Or Peter Warrick... Except Warrick had a much more stellar college career.

See, that's the problem. You want to compare him to Brown? Brown was a 6th round pick. Jackson was the 7th receiver taken in his draft. No one took them as the first guy off the board because they were sure-fire HOF players. (Brandon LaFell went higher than Brown)

For every Antonio Brown comparison you make, there's a Golden Tate or Percy Harvin.

Ross and Warrick have almost nothing in common.  Warrick wasn't fast, Warrick was a possession guy and Warrick was insanely obvious that he was getting away with stuff that wouldn't work in the NFL. He was a #2 receiver that went top 5.

I'd take a Golden Tate in a heart beat. Would be nice to give AJ and Andy some help with a reliable deep threat on the opposite side that can catch.

The bottom line with Ross is that either his iniury history concerns you or you willfully choose to ignore it.  The facts are simple.  He has had microfracture surgery one one knee and an ACL reconstruction on the other.  He also has had surgery on the meniscus in each knee and more recently had surgery for a torn shoulder labrum.  A reasonable conclusion to draw is that his body is injury prone and there is a higher risk that he has injuries as a pro given his history.  It is also reasonable to say his speed provides such a rare value that it outweighs the risk.  I don't think anyone should dismiss him either way, but we should at least be honest about what we are dealing with.  Again, I will support the move if we take him and I will have fingers crossed that he can stay on the field.

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It is also reasonable to say his speed provides such a rare value that it outweighs the risk.

Or - Is he that much better than the guy after him who's been able to stay healthy?

Once you've injured something, you're more likely to injure it again. Ross has Tyler Eifert level of injury history coming into the league. 

We talk about a guy like Foster being one pee test away from the drug program, but no one can acknowledge that Ross' injury history is as much, if not more, of a risk? 

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

:24::24::24: 

DHB couldn't catch.  Ross can.

DHB averaged 15ypr at Maryland. The scouting reports on Ross all expect him to struggle with contested catches & press coverage at the NFL level.

You can fanboy all you want, and I'm sure he was BMOC at Washington, but the only reason Ross is in the mix at #9 is because it's a weak draft for WR's.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

DHB averaged 15ypr at Maryland. The scouting reports on Ross all expect him to struggle with contested catches & press coverage at the NFL level.

You can fanboy all you want, and I'm sure he was BMOC at Washington, but the only reason Ross is in the mix at #9 is because it's a weak draft for WR's.

And he's a combine hero. If he would've ran a fraction slower, we would have a beast DL that's ready to play.

14 minutes ago, Hooky said:

And he's a combine hero. If he would've ran a fraction slower, we would have a beast DL that's ready to play.

I'm bummed thinking about how we passed Jonathan Allen. I know he has his injury issues too but I honestly thought he would have fit our scheme better than any other player in this entire draft and we actually had the chance to take him. His skillset looks to transition very well to the NFL and the Bengals d-line rotation would have been the absolute perfect spot for him to land IMO.

Oh well, let's hope Ross stays healthy and learns how to beat the bump n run.

5 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'm bummed thinking about how we passed Jonathan Allen. I know he has his injury issues too but I honestly thought he would have fit our scheme better than any other player in this entire draft and we actually had the chance to take him. His skillset looks to transition very well to the NFL and the Bengals d-line rotation would have been the absolute perfect spot for him to land IMO.

Oh well, let's hope Ross stays healthy and learns how to beat the bump n run.

I will be fine with this pick if he plays significant time this year. Even if he has a mediocre season. So tired of first rounders sitting the first year. I will be really annoyed if a top 10 pick sits.

2 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Allen would start from day one.  He might only last 7 years, but he will be a stud all those years.   I wouldn't hate the pick so much if Allen wasn't available

Yeeeeep.

I didn't want Ross to begin with, but I'd have been able to stomach it a little bit more if we didn't pass over Allen, Hooker, AND Lattimore.

I understood that Ross would end up being taken around the guys like Barnett, Howard, and Reddick so I don't think it would have been as big of a deal if he was picked over that "tier" of guys. Allen, Hooker, and Lattimore were clearly better prospects though, especially for the Bengals IMO.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeeeeep.

I didn't want Ross to begin with, but I'd have been able to stomach it a little bit more if we didn't pass over Allen, Hooker, AND Lattimore.

I understood that Ross would end up being taken around the guys like Barnett, Howard, and Reddick so I don't think it would have been as big of a deal if he was picked over that "tier" of guys. Allen, Hooker, and Lattimore were clearly better prospects though, especially for the Bengals IMO.

Yeah, Gee-off had that 10 paragraph write-up posted on Ross in seconds, leading me to believe that it was written beforehand and they were going to take Ross no matter who was on the board.  Maybe he had articles on 5 different guys ready to go but I kind of doubt it. 

Archived