The "I get it, but it's not my favorite" pick

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

As I have said numerous times, I will be annoyed with an offensive player at 9. 

But if they pass on the DL beef at 9, does that mean that they have big hopes for Hardison and Billings?

Because our offense was so good last year?  Yeah, I know we were without Eifert, Green, and Gio for a while.  But Eifert misses a lot of time and with his surgery may miss more, Gio is coming off ACL surgery, and if Eifert is out, you can focus on Green. 

Our defense played well the second half last year once Taze got into football shape and the DBs communicated a little better.  I wouldn't be upset if we take a defensive player, but I don't think we can say we don't need to improve the offense either.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because our offense was so good last year?  Yeah, I know we were without Eifert, Green, and Gio for a while.  But Eifert misses a lot of time and with his surgery may miss more, Gio is coming off ACL surgery, and if Eifert is out, you can focus on Green. 

Our defense played well the second half last year once Taze got into football shape and the DBs communicated a little better.  I wouldn't be upset if we take a defensive player, but I don't think we can say we don't need to improve the offense either.

Offense seems to be more of a line problem than a running back or wide receiver problem though. There aren't any linemen worth taking with #9 so I'm guessing that's why some people don't want offense at all. I'll be fine with Howard but I think I'd prefer defense over RB or WR.

9 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Offense seems to be more of a line problem than a running back or wide receiver problem though. There aren't any linemen worth taking with #9 so I'm guessing that's why some people don't want offense at all. I'll be fine with Howard but I think I'd prefer defense over RB or WR.

Yep, the offensive problems begin and end with the OL (well, that and coaching but we can't draft new coaches).  I still see Howard as another Vernon Davis - looks the part, world-class athlete, inconsistent football player.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I said with the first pick. Not to ignore the offense altogether. The reason I don't want offense is because there are no offensive players that I like enough for a first round pick.

19 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

That's me.  You said it more eloquently than I did. But I don't want Howard at 9 either. If they somehow got him at 41, I could live with it.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yep, the offensive problems begin and end with the OL (well, that and coaching but we can't draft new coaches).  I still see Howard as another Vernon Davis - looks the part, world-class athlete, inconsistent football player.

I think he has a ton of potential upside but he's certainly a guy I can understand having doubts about. He has excellent blocking technique but I'd say he'll need to bulk up a bit for the NFL. That's one thing I really like about him when most people just want to talk about him catching passes. If he puts a little bit of weight on and gets stronger, he should be a very good blocking TE.

I can't stress enough how much it sucks that there aren't any top 10 OT prospects in this draft class. I didn't really do any research on this but I'd bet that most recent years have had at least 1.

3 minutes ago, Hooky said:

That's me.  You said it more eloquently than I did. But I don't want Howard at 9 either. If they somehow got him at 41, I could live with it.

I like Howard but I'd rather go defense at 9 if a guy like Allen is there. That kid is going to be good. I'd love to have Jonathan Allen in our rotation, he'd be able to play outside and inside for us.

2 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I can't stress enough how much it sucks that there aren't any top 10 OT prospects in this draft class. I didn't really do any research on this but I'd bet that most recent years have had at least 1.

I'm sure there will be some great players in hindsight, likely guys nobody is really talking about right now, but this seems like an underwhelming draft class in general.

46 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm sure there will be some great players in hindsight, likely guys nobody is really talking about right now, but this seems like an underwhelming draft class in general.

One of them had to do a gas mask bong hit for them to talk about him last year.

5 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

The OL is going to stay a problem even if they get lucky and Ced and Fisher get good when the defenses have 0 respect for your WRs beating you deep.  AJ gets doubled and no one else scares anyone. Marvin Jones scared defenses enough to not cheat up, last year they cheated up all year from snap 1.

Archived