• B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F
    • PUKABLE

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/21/nfl-draft-john-ross-iii-washington-wide-receiver-desean-jackson-snoop-dogg

Pretty good article on JRIII. Talks about his relationship with DeSean, Snoop, and how we won't have to worry about him getting hammered at the Banks and beating on hotel doors. Warning though, picture of him in a youth league Stealers jersey.

Undersized with below-average play strength. Struggled to get into his routes cleanly and impact the game against the physical cornerbacks at Alabama.

I'm sure that won't be an issue in the AFC North, though.

:grin-min:

I don't think dude is garbage by any means but I do think he would've still been there 5 picks later, maybe more.  Part of what bugs me is that it indicates more of the cupcake-soft, pass-wacky offensive scheme that so often disappears like a fart in a gale against good defenses.  I get the impression they had locked in on him and were going to pick him no matter who else was on the board, and that concerns me.

I don't think John was going to last much longer. Two receivers already off the board in the first 7 picks and every team behind us all the way to Philly having a need at receiver.

I am worried about his ability to beat press coverage, but it just means you line him up off the LOS. 

Ugh. It's not just because I didn't like the pick at #9, but because I like to base my arguments in reality. Anyone using 1 or 2 links to claim Ross was a "consensus 1st rounder" pre-combine is absolutely insane and just flat out lying.

I did a quick Google search for "Pre-combine mock draft 2017" and the first 4 I found from at least semi-reputable sources had Ross @30 overall, not in the 1st round, not in the 1st round, and not in the 1st round respectively. 1 of the 4 had him go in the 1st and it was to Shitsburgh. Just sayin' this "consensus 1st rounder pre-combine" talk is 100% bullshit. I'm sure there have been a few mocks floating around that had him in the 1st, but they are few and far between pre-combine.

It's fine if you liked the pick, just don't fucking lie about it to make it seem better, that's silly. There are plenty of real arguments you could be making for Ross' case that aren't made up out of thin air.

I stand corrected on his 1st round credentials.

Still not real pleased with the pick.  Think it is a high risk pick.  At best a #2 WR at worst an always injured flop.  Not enough upside and too much downside pick, IMO.  

We will see how he works out.  Hoping for the best.

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Speaking of Jerseys, I wonder if he will have Ross III on the back like in college? 

And if so, will he be called JR3 ? We already have WJ3. The Bengals like their thirds apparently.

I think the Sr on the jerseys is ridiculous. Just to be clear that he's not his 5 year old son.

The GOOD news about Ross is that he has at least 1 or 2 physical press CBs to practice against. It's good for him that he went to a team that can help him with his biggest weakness (IMO). His routes aren't great, sure he could break in half at any minute, but I'm MUCH more concerned with his ability to beat any reasonably physical NFL corner, and that's something I've been saying for a long time now.

He can sharpen his routes and get lucky to avoid the injury bug, but it's going to be tough to teach him how to handle big, physical corners. It's not as easy as some around here are claiming for him to get around that.

2 minutes ago, Mikey6866 said:

Lol at saying john ross wasnt 1st rounder pre combine.  Thats just pure laziness and stupidity.  He was a consenses top 20 player on just about everybodys board pre combine.  Quit reading bleacher report mocks from somebody that dont know shit.

Stupidity is saying he was a "consensus" 1st rounder.

What the rational people that aren't lazy are saying is that there are plenty of mocks with him outside of the 1st round as well as the ones cherry picked with him as a 1st rounder from the other pages of this thread.

It's real easy for you to claim you're right when the only sources that matter are the ones that YOU feel "knows shit" because of confirmation bias.

56 minutes ago, JC said:

I don't think John was going to last much longer. Two receivers already off the board in the first 7 picks and every team behind us all the way to Philly having a need at receiver.

I am worried about his ability to beat press coverage, but it just means you line him up off the LOS. 

A couple of my thoughts.

1.  Injury history matters.  True Perry and Eifert didn't have an extensive injury history, but why take a chance on a small guy who's had microfracture, a torn acl and shoulder problems?  If we play him on special teams that's just asking for him to get broken.  I hope he holds up or is smart enough to do like Issac Bruce and Torry Holt used to do and get down before getting hit.  

2.  I agree about the press coverage.  They said it last night on NFL Network as well, but when you watch that Colorado tape and Alabama tape he struggled vs. press coverage. He was easily rerouted.

3.  I hated the pick when we made it, but I've upgraded from hated it to don't love it.  IF he can stay healthy we do have a playmaker.  One thing this team has lacked forever is speed and this helps to solve that.  I was on the OJ Howard or defense bandwagon, but JR3 is a Bengal now an I hope he ends up in the HOF...as a Bengal.

6 minutes ago, JC said:

John Ross wasn't reaching round 2 after that combine much like Will Fuller last year and Bradin Cooks/Tavon Austin before him. Just what happens.

Yep and I don't think anyone would argue with that. Someone was taking him in the first round for sure.

I think the point a lot of us are trying to make it that you have to be cautious of some of these guys that "jump" post-combine. He wasn't a consensus 1st rounder pre-combine and he absolutely, unequivocally was NOT a consensus top 10 pick at any point, even after he ran fast in spandex.

I don't understand why people are just making stuff up and pretending things were different. Can anyone show me their post on this board about how we should consider John Ross at #9 before the combine? I'd like to see that. I'm not even sure if Jason (one of his biggest supporters) was on board before that.

28 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Stupidity is saying he was a "consensus" 1st rounder.

What the rational people that aren't lazy are saying is that there are plenty of mocks with him outside of the 1st round as well as the ones cherry picked with him as a 1st rounder from the other pages of this thread.

It's real easy for you to claim you're right when the only sources that matter are the ones that YOU feel "knows shit" because of confirmation bias.

Bengals fans football knowledge is so embarassing sometimes.  Based on your comments its obvious you were not following draft prospects end of season / pre-combine.  You keep saying you see him in alot of mocks not in the 1st round pre combine.  Lets see some of these.  I would love to see who the author was because I can pretty much guarantee you they dont have much to do with the NFL, or anybody who evalutes players for a living.

I guess since Derek in the corner office at Aflak didnt think he was a 1st rounder on his pre combine mock on bleacher report you are right.

I think what I like most about the pick now is all the complaining from people who have seen nothing other than a highlight clip and read a report on the kid.  They have already deemed him injured and crappy.  Its almost like people are wanting him to get hurt only so they can say I told you so.  On the field hes not just a speed guy he is a legit top 10 talent.  Im just happy that the Bengals FO made the pick.  Hes gonna be a stud.

Just now, Mikey6866 said:

Bengals fans football knowledge is so embarassing sometimes.  Based on your comments its obvious you were not following draft prospects end of season / pre-combine.  You keep saying you see him in alot of mocks not in the 1st round pre combine.  Lets see some of these.  I would love to see who the author was because I can pretty much guarantee you they dont have much to do with the NFL, or anybody who evalutes players for a living.

Bengals fan knowledge is absolutely embarrassing. I'm in agreement with you on that front, just not sure we're talking about the same people.

Anyhoo, I don't know man, I didn't hear a single thing about John Ross at @9 overall until he ran real fast at the combine, and he wasn't in every single 1st round pre-combine mock. That's all I'm saying, he wasn't a "consensus" 1st rounder.

Dane Brugler - didn't have him mocked in the 1st AFTER the combine

Rob Rang - didn't have him mocked in the 1st AFTER the combine

Pete Prisco - didn't have him mocked in the 1st AFTER the combine

Pete Schrager - John Ross @30 overall

Fanragsports - Not in 1st

Chatsports - Not in 1st

TheDraftster - Not in 1st

WCBNSports - #17 overall

isportsweb - #18 overall

Walter - #18 overall

TheMockDraftCentral - #19 overall

TheGruelingTruth - Not in 1st
SlantSports - Not in 1st

I just took Google search results from anywhere that had a website that regularly does mock drafts and looked at what they had pre-combine. I'm sure you'll just blow them all off, but my point is just that not everyone was slotting Ross into the 1st round pre-combine. It's a flat out lie to say otherwise regardless of your continuous personal attacks and confirmation bias.

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

Bengals fan knowledge is absolutely embarrassing. I'm in agreement with you on that front, just not sure we're talking about the same people.

Anyhoo, I don't know man, I didn't hear a single thing about John Ross at @9 overall until he ran real fast at the combine, and he wasn't in every single 1st round pre-combine mock. That's all I'm saying, he wasn't a "consensus" 1st rounder.

Dane Brugler - didn't have him mocked in the 1st AFTER the combine

Rob Rang - didn't have him mocked in the 1st AFTER the combine

Pete Prisco - didn't have him mocked in the 1st AFTER the combine

Pete Schrager - John Ross @30 overall

Fanragsports - Not in 1st

Chatsports - Not in 1st

TheDraftster - Not in 1st

WCBNSports - #17 overall

isportsweb - #18 overall

Walter - #18 overall

TheMockDraftCentral - #19 overall

TheGruelingTruth - Not in 1st
SlantSports - Not in 1st

I just took Google search results from anywhere that had a website that regularly does mock drafts and looked at what they had pre-combine. I'm sure you'll just blow them all off, but my point is just that not everyone was slotting Ross into the 1st round pre-combine. It's a flat out lie to say otherwise regardless of your continuous personal attacks and confirmation bias.

Rang & Brugler both from cbs and in their precombine rankings directly from their site he was rated as one of the top 20 players in the draft precombine by them.  That is a fact not an opinon of a mock draft based on needs.

Rang & Brugler both from cbs and in their precombine rankings directly from their site he was rated as one of the top 20 players in the draft precombine by them.  That is a fact not an opinon of a mock draft based on needs.

Okay but we're talking about him being mocked in the 1st round or not. That's literally the conversation we were having.

:lol:

Move them goalposts some more and Mike Brown may hire you at PBS.

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

Okay but we're talking about him being mocked in the 1st round or not. That's literally the conversation we were having.

:lol:

Move them goalposts some more and Mike Brown may hire you at PBS.

Keep bagging them groceries and maybe you'll become head stock boy and commander of the mock drafts of Krogers.

Keep bagging them groceries and maybe you'll become head stock boy and commander of the mock drafts of Krogers.

Why the constant personal attacks when somebody proves you wrong? All you had to say was "OK so he wasn't a consensus 1st rounder but a lot of reputable guys had him as a top 20 prospect at least."

Nope, fuck that, let's talk about our superior football knowledge and assume the person I'm arguing with has a shitty job. I'm sure you're a role model for many.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

These personal attacks in threads are getting out of hand. Why can't people respectfully disagree anymore? 

A few guys seem to have the same posting style. Instead of debating they just mention how other fans don't know anything and how people that argue with them have a shitty job. It's really weird, no one has even once assumed how good/bad my career path is on any of the other sports boards I've been a part of. On here it's happened more than once this week hahahahaha and to be honest, I'm from western Pennsylvania, I don't even know what the fuck Kroger is :lol:

Archived