• C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F
    • PUKABLE

14 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Love this pick 

I hated it live, but after the way the rest of the draft went down, I am good with it. Instead of getting a high profile pass rusher at 9, we got two steals for pass rushers.

5 hours ago, Hooky said:

I hated it live, but after the way the rest of the draft went down, I am good with it. Instead of getting a high profile pass rusher at 9, we got two steals for pass rushers.

I remember how bad our Offense struggled last year. They were 20yh in points scored. Adding a player that is being compared to a faster Desean Jackson excites the hell out of me. 

But yeah, I can see how some were looking at the Defense. And I am glad they were able to get some steals to lower anxiety levels.

45 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I can't imagine Ross being anything more than a 4th WR early on as he offers next to nothing in run blocking, he's not very physical. 

I've heard he is a very willing blocker.  He got his injury blocking against Stanford and played hurt the rest of the season, so his physicality didn't really show this past season.

All I know is that he's a player that, if healthy, will help give this offense an opportunity to score more points.  Arguing about where he was picked is ludicrous, he was a 1st rd talent, and was picked in the 1st Rd.  And to me, the statistic that really matters is that in the last 40 games where we scored 23+ pts, we are 37-1-2.  Both are first two picks increase the odds that we can get to that number more often.

5 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I remember how bad our Offense struggled last year. They were 20yh in points scored. Adding a player that is being compared to a faster Desean Jackson excites the hell out of me. 

But yeah, I can see how some were looking at the Defense. And I am glad they were able to get some steals to lower anxiety levels.

Anyone who forces the defense to match his speed up top only opens up space for Green which is a good thing. 

Mixon is going to keep the linebackers honest which opens up the middle routes.  

If the line plays better, this offense should be much better.

Marvin Lewis on proposed race: Ross 'not a circus act'

by Jeremy Bergman NFL.com

Published: May 5, 2017

Marvin Lewis is calling the race early.

The Bengals coach quickly put the kibosh on a proposed 40-yard dash-off between his first-round pick John Ross and Cincinnati Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton, telling Cincinnati reporters Friday, "John is not a circus act."

Shame.

Hamilton first suggested the race between the 40-yard dash champion and himself, saying that the two could test each other's speed "for a charity event" or something of the kind. Ross responded Friday, saying he's up to it, but not right now.

"It would be awesome to do that and we could probably work out something later," Ross told ESPN's Katherine Terrell on Friday. "Right now I'm just focused on being a Bengal. I don't know what the future holds, but if he wants to do something for the community later or for charity, that would be awesome. Right now I'm just focused on being a football player."

Double shame.

We're sure Lewis and Ross are objectively in the right here, choosing to prevent the first-round wideout from potentially aggravating an injury rather than racing a Red. But where's the fun in that?

On top of supporting charities, a 40-yard dash between Mr. 4.22 and baseball's best base-stealer would promote a very worthy cause: Keeping us football die-hards entertained during the pigskin-poor summer doldrums. Do it for the fans. That's charitable enough.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000806800/article/marvin-lewis-on-proposed-race-ross-not-a-circus-act

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't link it, but did anyone else read the recent USA Today article about Ross and his injuries/durability?  Basically, he is sick and tired of the questions and misinformation that is part of the pre-draft process.  He went so far as to say people claimed he was a year older than he actually is.  He also said he played with the shoulder injury for 9 games last year and that he hurt it blocking against Stanford.  Only dubious claim I heard from him was claiming he only missed one game due to injury in college.  That's only true if you don't count the entire year he redshirted after ACL surgery.

On Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 10:25 PM, kennethmw said:

All I know is that he's a player that, if healthy, will help give this offense an opportunity to score more points.  Arguing about where he was picked is ludicrous, he was a 1st rd talent, and was picked in the 1st Rd.  And to me, the statistic that really matters is that in the last 40 games where we scored 23+ pts, we are 37-1-2.  Both are first two picks increase the odds that we can get to that number more often.

If Ross plays to his potential; accruing a 1000 yds and hauling in a myriad of touchdowns passes, no one is going to give two sods which part of the round he was drafted in.

I agree with the pick.  I'm a strong believer in drafting best player available over filling a hole with a player that is a reach at your spot.

I agree with the pick in regards to what it does for our offense.  Taking him over other players available is arguable for sure.
However, I don't think stats are going to be the real indicator in judging his success.
His speed alone opens things up for other players.  Are you going to go one on one with AJ or are you going to double him and chance that speed ??

Accounting for that speed also will be a thought in whether or not an opposing defense wants to try to stack the box.

If they don't, that opens things up for our RB's.  Also can't forget Eifert running down the middle of the field.

There are many weapons and maybe Ross doesn't see the massive stats, but his speed will in fact make things easier for other who may.

38 minutes ago, FishHook said:

I agree with the pick in regards to what it does for our offense.  Taking him over other players available is arguable for sure.
However, I don't think stats are going to be the real indicator in judging his success.
His speed alone opens things up for other players.  Are you going to go one on one with AJ or are you going to double him and chance that speed ??

Accounting for that speed also will be a thought in whether or not an opposing defense wants to try to stack the box.

If they don't, that opens things up for our RB's.  Also can't forget Eifert running down the middle of the field.

There are many weapons and maybe Ross doesn't see the massive stats, but his speed will in fact make things easier for other who may.

Exactly!

On 5/25/2017 at 11:40 AM, FishHook said:

This. I also think it'll make life easier for the OL. 

A lot of defenses last year were sneaking Safeties into the box and blitzing a lot more than normal (especially after AJ went down). If Boyd or LaFell beat them 1-on-1 (probably for a shorter gain) they'd live with it. But they also knew that stacking the box would clog lanes in the run game and make life difficult for the OL in pass blocking. 

It wasn't a fool proof strategy. I think Dalton and LaFell were excellent against the Eagles for example when they used this exact strategy. We got rid of the ball quickly and our WRs won their fair share of individual matchups. But better defenses with better corners made life difficult on our offense. 

At the end of the day the pick will force teams to keep a safety up top to stop the long ball but the reality is our online still has to be able to defend against a 4 man rush.  We shall see.

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

At the end of the day the pick will force teams to keep a safety up top to stop the long ball but the reality is our online still has to be able to defend against a 4 man rush.  We shall see.

Not only that, but what's stopping a defense from dropping everyone into coverage? Our nonexistent run game?  Mixon?  Gio is (or at least was) an incredibly elusive RB but he still needs at least a crease, if not a proper running lane.

I expect the offense to put up good numbers at times against the weaker schedule but continue struggling vs any above-average D.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:51 AM, T-Dub said:

Not only that, but what's stopping a defense from dropping everyone into coverage? Our nonexistent run game?  Mixon?  Gio is (or at least was) an incredibly elusive RB but he still needs at least a crease, if not a proper running lane.

1.  Our "nonexistent" running game ranked 13th in rushing yards last year.

2.  The stats seem to indicate that the weakness in our running game was more on the RBs than the O-line.  FootballOutsiders had our O-line ranked 14th in "adjusted line average" (a formula that gives the O-line all the blame for stuffs and the RBs credit for runs that go for more than 11 yards).  Also Bengals ranked in the top half of the league in fewest stuffs allowed (15th), but 25th in runs of 20+ yards.

36 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

1.  Our "nonexistent" running game ranked 13th in rushing yards last year.

2.  The stats seem to indicate that the weakness in our running game was more on the RBs than the O-line.  FootballOutsiders had our O-line ranked 14th in "adjusted line average" (a formula that gives the O-line all the blame for stuffs and the RBs credit for runs that go for more than 11 yards).  Also Bengals ranked in the top half of the league in fewest stuffs allowed (15th), but 25th in runs of 20+ yards.

Unfortunately, that line isn't here anymore.

• 2 years later...

Archived