• B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F
    • PUKABLE

Post-game Quotes  (more at Bengals.com).  I like what he said, it was definitely a game to build on.   If he does keep this up the 5th-year option will make the years of doing fuck-all a little easier to accept.

WR JOHN ROSS

(On his overall play…) “I had two critical drops, in my opinion, that I should have had. That’s something I’m going to work on, go back in practice, put more focus on that. It felt good to finally get some live reps for the first time this year. But there are a lot of things I’ve got to clean up. A whole lot of things. Given the numbers that I had, you give all the credit to everybody else: the O line blocking and holding up, Andy putting the ball in great spots. Me? Just going and continue to play.”

(On what he needs to clean up…) “A long list of things. Coming out of my breaks better. Focusing on catching the ball first. The blocking aspect. There’s just a whole lot of things. Given that this is my first game, my first week, really, still, no excuses. I’msupposed to come prepared. There are a lot of things I’ve got to work on.”

(On getting big gains after his drops…) “That’s something I’ve worked on, next-play mentality, I think I’ve done a better job. Last year, year before, I went into a tank and would think about that for the rest of the game. Now I try to put it behind me and go make the next play.”

(On the resilience of this offense…) “Coach is going to call great plays. Every single drive he’s going to call great plays and get guys open, and the line is going to holdup and Andy is going to make great plays, as he did. He did a great job today.”

(On if the coaching staff’s confidence in him has boosted his self-confidence…) “Without a doubt. I think that’s what a lot of players lack sometimes. Like me, I can honestly say now I lost confidence in myself the last two years. Now I come in with a different mentality, and now I’ve got to go out there and continue to believe in myself.”

(On if he would have been on the bench after dropping a pass last year…) “Most definitely. I can honestly say that now. I would lose confidence in myself. It’s completely different now, in my opinion.”

Career game, hope he adds to it. Having him and AJ on the field together if he can continue to play like this makes the O dangerous.**

**If Andy doesn't go back to locking on to AJ all the time when AJ comes back, like Andy tends to do. And if the Oline can give him time.

If Ross can build on yesterday's performance (and stay healthy), he can be a very dangerous asset for this offense (especially once AJ's back. I was pretty worried about the WR room over the offseason.  Suddenly, Green, Boyd, Ross, Willis & Erickson seem like quite a solid core.

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

If Ross can build on yesterday's performance (and stay healthy), he can be a very dangerous asset for this offense (especially once AJ's back. I was pretty worried about the WR room over the offseason.  Suddenly, Green, Boyd, Ross, Willis & Erickson seem like quite a solid core.

Guy had a nice day stat wise but the drops and route running wasn't the best.  He was really lucky on the one TD. The Seattle DB was clearly in position to make an easy play on the ball and simply misjudged it. 

2 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

did he make mistakes?  Definitely. Did he come back and make plays?  Hell yeah he did. That's what you want. No?

He's not a big dude, contested catches are always going to be dicey for him but he needs to attack the ball better.  He had a late drop where he took a pretty good shot & coughed up the ball, I think that will do more for his progression than anything - learning he can get hit and get up again.  There were times when he could've gained more yards but stepped out of bounds or gave himself up, or lost concentration on an easy catch because it looked like he was anticipating getting hit.  He was kind of getting hurt every time he got tackled so it will probably take some time for him to learn how to protect himself without shying away from contact.

9 hours ago, kriZENry said:

I’m still not sold on his toughness. Does anyone have a gif of him getting pushed on his ass after a incompletion by a Seattle DB? I don’t even think he got up and said anything to him 🤦🏻‍♂️

While I tend to agree to some point, e.g.: the pass catch where he sat down instead of trying for YAC, I had a different take on the play you cited.  I actually thought he flopped trying to get a penalty called on Seattle.  BWTFDIK?

Anyway, I'd rather him fall down than for him to do a Dre "Ima a gangsta' and I'll kick yo azz" Kirkpatrick and get a stupid 15 yd retaliation penalty.  Ross is never gonna intimidate anyone with his physicality IMHO.

6 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

While I tend to agree to some point, e.g.: the pass catch where he sat down instead of trying for YAC, I had a different take on the play you cited.  I actually thought he flopped trying to get a penalty called on Seattle.  BWTFDIK?

Anyway, I'd rather him fall down than for him to do a Dre "Ima a gangsta' and I'll kick yo azz" Kirkpatrick and get a stupid 15 yd retaliation penalty.  Ross is never gonna intimidate anyone with his physicality IMHO.

Hmm, possibly.

I really believe Dre does more bad than good, hope he’s next to go real soon

Top 10 transformed players (Burfict made the list at #9, Hubbard with an honorable mention)

ROS616450.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
John Ross
CIN.png
WR
Bengals

What to make of Ross' fantasy-football cornucopia (158 yards, two touchdowns) in his return to the Pacific Northwest? A mainstay on the injured list as well as the rumor mill prior to Sunday's outburst, the former Washington Huskies star drew an astonishing 12 targets with A.J. Green out of the lineup. The result was a mixed bag, combining the usual drops with a pair of big plays and several chain-moving grabs. From a fantasy perspective, it's a promising sign that Ross featured so heavily in his head coach's debut. Once Green returns, though, the targets will dwindle. Even with his rare speed, he can't count on a wheel-route flea-flicker and a safety mistiming his jump for bankable big plays each week.

Other names to watch: D.J. Chark, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars; Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Buffalo Bills;Leonard Fournette, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars; Sam Hubbard, DE, Cincinnati Bengals; Carlos Hyde, RB, Houston Texans; Shaq Lawson, DE, Buffalo Bills; Shaq Thompson, LB, Carolina Panthers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001053604/article/dalvin-cook-sammy-watkins-among-top-10-transformed-players

I believe John Ross is going to help this team by making defensive sarties leaning his way ..

He can take the top off a defense by his quickness and speed..

That leaves other recievers one on one which makes Dalton's job easier...

When Green comes back whosgoing ti bedoubled Green or Ross?

Boyd and Uzamah will flourush...

The pass protection is adequate for now..

Niw lets not have any presnappenalties and score alot!!

If I was trying to defend against Ross I'd have the DB press & bump the hell out of him.  See if he still runs a 4.2 starting from a sitting position, yknow?  With AJ out you don't really have to worry about another deep threat so you've got safety help if he does beat the press (ie the DB misses because let's face it he's not winning that match-up otherwise).  Did he make a contested catch?  That's the glaring hole in his game to my eyes, anyway.

Archived