• C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F
    • PUKABLE

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Tell that to Gio, Keith Rivers, Huber, etc etc

Right? And those were dirty, and no amount of size would have helped save those injuries. The chances of frequency of dirty hits are lessened in today's NFL because of how game is called. But I don't see how an extra inch or two keeps Ross healthier from a dirty hit...

56 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Injuries are a concern with Ross. Could say the same exact thing about Jon Allen, Malik Hooker, Marcus Lattimore, Reuben Foster, etc. 

Most of these top guys have been banged up. And the ones who haven't been injured aren't immune from future injuries either. 

Didn't Billings and Jackson have clean bills of health when drafted last year? It's the NFL, injuries are a thing, potentially, for every player. 

7 hours ago, BlackBengal said:

John Ross was 5'11 and 188 lbs. at the combine.  Is that small, or is that just about normal?  I was surprised when I looked at the sizes of the top-20 WRs (in passing yards) from last year.  11 out of the 20 were around Ross' size.  Many of them (7 to be exact) were actually shorter than Ross.  I think that people have an inflated idea of how big the good NFL WRs are because tall ones tend to get selected very high in the draft. 

Of the top-20 WRs in yards last season

TY Hilton (smaller than Ross)

Odell Beckham (same height, slightly heavier)

Antonio Brown (shorter than Ross)

Brandon Cooks (shorter than Ross)

Jarvis Landry (same height, but heavier)

Doug Baldwin (shorter than Ross)

Julian Eldelman (shorter, but a little heavier)

Golden Tate (shorter, but a little heavier)

Emmanuel Sanders (same size as Ross)

Deshaun Jackson (smaller than Ross)

Mike Wallace (a little taller and heavier than Ross)

IIRC, only 2 of that group were drafted in the 1st round and none were in the top 10.  Just saying......

I worry a lot less about Ross' injury history after the year he had last season....not only did he show no ill effects from the knee injuries, he completely dominated on a playoff team.

and his shoulder doesn't bother me much at all either, that's a very easy injury for non-throwers to come back from at 100%. 

11 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

IIRC, only 2 of that group were drafted in the 1st round and none were in the top 10.  Just saying......

So if they were not drafted in 1 and are top 20, does that mean Ross will be because he's a better prospect?

:smile: 

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think they reached for a player based on a perceived need in a flawed offensive scheme.

that's a little crazy.....a) I don't even think they saw it as a "need", I think they just saw a chance to grab a potential difference maker and went ahead and let er rip.....and b) a little early to be calling it "a flawed offensive scheme" is it not? especially considering all the injuries they had last year. 

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think they reached for a player based on a perceived need in a flawed offensive scheme.

that's a little crazy.....a) I don't even think they saw it as a "need", I think they just saw a chance to grab a potential difference maker and went ahead and let er rip.....and b) a little early to be calling it "a flawed offensive scheme" is it not? especially considering all the injuries they had last year. 

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Marvin said nobody called us about trading down. If KC had offered us the same deal they made with Buffalo, would you have taken it?

I would have and then taken Taco Charlton at 27 with an extra 3rd this year and 1st next year.

I don't think they had any interest in moving back that far.

But for an extra one next year I would have given it a lot of thought.  Even though it will probably be a late one.

44 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Goes back to long before last season.  One pass-happy OC after another, so I assume that's a directive from upstairs.  I suppose they think that's what sells and they're probably right about that.  The offense will put up good numbers, then the weather changes and/or they run into a good defense and their continued inability to run the ball worth a damn bites them in the ass yet again.

Round 1, No. 9 overall: John Ross, WR, Washington

by Katherine Terrell
ESPN Staff Writer

My take: The Bengals had a chance to take a number of defenders still on the board, including pass-rushers Jonathan Allen and Derek Barnett, and linebacker Reuben Foster. Coach Marvin Lewis said no team wanted to trade up when Cincinnati was on the clock, so obviously John Ross was valued enough to take at No. 9. His selection might seem a little high considering who was available, but speed at receiver was one of Cincinnati's bigger needs -- Ross ran a record 4.22 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. The Bengals relied heavily on star receiver A.J. Green through the first half of the season but had few people able to step up in his place when Green went down toward the end. The Bengals needed a pass-rusher, but they also needed to give their offense a boost one way or another.

Medical concerns? The 5-foot-11, 188-pound Ross is going to have to prove his durability after a series of knee injuries during his career. Ross tore his ACL and had a meniscus injury in 2015. He also tore his labrum last season and played through that before undergoing surgery in the offseason. The Bengals might have to limit how they use him because of his injury history, but with Green, Tyler Eifert, Tyler Boyd and Brandon LaFell, they might be able to get a little creative.

The next kick returner: Bengals wide receiver Alex Erickson can probably be forgiven if he's a little worried. Erickson beat out longtime kick returner Brandon Tate to take the sixth wide receiver spot and showed promise there, leading the NFL with 810 kickoff return yards. But Ross was a superstar kickoff returner in college, returning four for touchdowns in his career. Ross' presence could make it more difficult to justify keeping Erickson unless they start using him more as a receiver.

What's next: The Bengals aren't necessarily done with the offensive side of the ball. Running back Joe Mixon could still be in play if he's on the board in the second round, and the Bengals haven't been shy about showing their interests at that position. Defensively, they're still looking for a pass-rusher after their sack totals waned last season. With 11 total picks, it will be a long draft weekend for the Bengals and a chance to address a number of needs.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/236178/cincinnati-bengals-2017-draft-picks-analysis-for-every-selection

On 4/27/2017 at 10:49 PM, lslmustang said:

I was watching NFL Network... they had heard the Bengal's were in love with Adams.... They liked him and I've seen several posts now that think its a great move and it helps with Red Zone production, which we certainly need improvement on. We were missing Marvin Jones speed...

His injury is a shoulder so he played last year and had a great season after his knee injury... so he recovered.

Hope he stays healthy and if he does, this WILL help our offense and our return game :)

He could probably be an outstanding returner and it's tempting, but I'm not sure I want to give opposing KO squads all those shots at him.  Maybe if they pick their spots, but I'd limit his returners.  I think Mixon can help them as well in the return game and he's stouter (and he probably won't be starting, at first).

Archived