** RD 2 - BENGALS select JOE MIXON, RB **

I am not going to try to sell the Mixon pick to anyone.  From my perspective, he did something awful and he paid a price for it in multiple ways (criminal charges, suspension, civil suit, lost earnings from falling in the draft).  If you don't think he deserves a chance to earn a living in the NFL so be it.  It won't change what happened to the victim or the fact that our owner signed off on making him a Bengal.  He is on the team now and I think he has incredible potential on the football field.  The talent is undeniable whether or not you detest Mixon as a person.  This pick might be the best value selection of the entire draft.  He is fortunate to have this opportunity and be part of a talented group of skill position players. 

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

The Ray Rice situation is not analogous for a number of reasons. First, lots of people defended Ray, including the Ravens, until the tape made it clear they had known about what really happened all along, and they simply folded from PR pressure. But in the general society he was not a villain, and in fact people dressed up as him for Halloween with their GF’s sporting black eyes, and just like Rhianna & Chris Brown's abuse, he was not seen as a public enemy #1 who should be ostracized and was beyond repute.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/10/ray-rice-suspension-poll_n_5798868.html

Are you just making shit up? Also, "society" doesn't define my moral compass.

For those who still desire to turn a Bengals football thread into a dissertation on " fill in the blank " issue, I'm going to give everyone a little bit of leeway to continue the discussion. Please refrain from personal attacks and try to keep this posting on track. Should this thread go off track too far, there will be no warnings issued.

FWIW, I did not hear the black and white issue until reading BJs post. I was already in a discussion with my wife this morning regarding this subject. Whatever any one of you want to do, don't preface your discussion with why does she get to assault him but he does not ?

Lastly, this is a bad pick IMHO. For the rest of his time in Cincinnati, Mixon will be followed by this issue. I'd normally pull out the " strawman " about now. However, it's not needed. He will have females that have seen or heard of his issue and will come hunting for a payday. Mark my words that he will be in trouble for a similar incident in the near future.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

2 hours ago, mtrbur said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/10/ray-rice-suspension-poll_n_5798868.html

Are you just making shit up? Also, "society" doesn't define my moral compass.

Once again, no one is talking about your moral compass, but society and the media.  

Ray Rice was an exception, but the rule is don't harm blonde women.  The Ray Rice video was so brutal.  It couldn't be ignored.  When have you ever hear of a national manhunt for a lost black girl?  Can't remember one.  Do we need to start naming the blondes that still get media attention?  Heck, I can't even remember a dark haired white girl getting national media attention.

One thing that pissed me off was when the Mixon pick was announced, ESPeein' went straight to The Incident and completely ignored Mixon the football player.  Every other player in the draft got on the field highlights, Mixon got the tape of him punching the female Ben Rapeherburger.

What a pant load from ESPeein'

Welcome to the Bengals, Mr. Mixon.  I am glad you are here and look forward to your playing for many successful years to come.

NO :ph34r:

Seems he will take the spotlight off of Pacman for a bit, at least.

Kudos to whoever made the point about the Bengals being seen as criminals no matter who gets drafted.  Mixon didn't create this perception, nor Pacman or Burfict or Henry etc etc; Father Brown did.  So, hey - screw it.  If he's going to run a halfway house franchise anyway we might as well bring in all the miscreants we can find.  As long as MB is running the show there's not going to be any accountability either way.

Big Jen has been raping women since high school and he gets a pass, just like every other POS player that sells.  The NFL and sports media are a bunch of hypocritical sycophants & there's no question in my mind the Mixon pick would be getting an entirely different spin if he went to teamslikethePatriots.  It's done now.  I guess I really don't give that much of a shit, ultimately.

The kid is a hell of a ball player. If he can just keep a level head his potential is endless. I hated the pick but I hope that he proves me wrong and does great all around. 

If he can hold onto the ball on the winning drive against the Stealers in a wild card game in the rain.....

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Seems he will take the spotlight off of Pacman for a bit, at least.

Kudos to whoever made the point about the Bengals being seen as criminals no matter who gets drafted.  Mixon didn't create this perception, nor Pacman or Burfict or Henry etc etc; Father Brown did.  So, hey - screw it.  If he's going to run a halfway house franchise anyway we might as well bring in all the miscreants we can find.  As long as MB is running the show there's not going to be any accountability either way.

Big Jen has been raping women since high school and he gets a pass, just like every other POS player that sells.  The NFL and sports media are a bunch of hypocritical sycophants & there's no question in my mind the Mixon pick would be getting an entirely different spin if he went to teamslikethePatriots.  It's done now.  I guess I really don't give that much of a shit, ultimately.

If big Jen had raped a woman and there was a video of it, he would of gone to jail.  There is a video of Mixon breaking a little girl's jaw in 4 places.  Keep in mind the entire story had gone away UNTIL the video surfaced.  If you don't understand the difference then we are at an impasse.

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If big Jen had raped a woman and there was a video of it, he would of gone to jail.  There is a video of Mixon breaking a little girl's jaw in 4 places.  Keep in mind the entire story had gone away UNTIL the video surfaced.  If you don't understand the difference then we are at an impasse.

The difference being that it was videotaped?  That doesn't change anything for me, no.

Keep in mind that I didn't want them to draft Mixon, either.  Point being that all this righteous indignation is pretty fucking comical when you look around at the state of the NFL in general.

I like how no one is outraged about Jourdan Lewis from Michigan getting picked up tonight even though he tried to choke his lady out just a month ago. No video, so no one really knows about it and he's playing for the cowboys, so its just boys being boys.

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

haha that's cute. Look, I keep it real. If you can't handle the truth then fine. But don't expect me to pretend. Race is always there. It is a part of any situation and embedded in how people perceive reality. The media would only care about 1/5 as much if the woman Mixon hit was black. That's just the hard truth. 

This isn't true at all. Ray Rice's wife was black and the media made a huge deal out of it.  I love it when people fish for racism when it isn't there.  Yes, there is racism in the world, but yelling about racism on every issue is like the boy who cries wolf, people dismiss the claims when an actual case of racism occurs.  

42 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The difference being that it was videotaped?  That doesn't change anything for me, no.

Keep in mind that I didn't want them to draft Mixon, either.  Point being that all this righteous indignation is pretty fucking comical when you look around at the state of the NFL in general.

You consistently describe the state of the NFL as detestable, rigged, etc.  If I believed all that there is no way I would even pay attention.  You say you don't care, yet you are one of the most prolific posters here. Why?  If you believe all that let it go and move on. 

36 minutes ago, JC said:

I like how no one is outraged about Jourdan Lewis from Michigan getting picked up tonight even though he tried to choke his lady out just a month ago. No video, so no one really knows about it and he's playing for the cowboys, so its just boys being boys.

well shit, just take one look at who drafted him. [i'm just agreeing with you here]

15 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You consistently describe the state of the NFL as detestable, rigged, etc.  If I believed all that there is no way I would even pay attention.  You say you don't care, yet you are one of the most prolific posters here. Why?  If you believe all that let it go and move on. 

Simply put? Because the NFL is not the game. 

Goodell, ESPN, & all the other bullshit doesn't stop me from enjoying a last minute pass breakup on 3rd & long, or AJ Green doing AJ Green things.  That being said, I don't follow NFL ball nearly as much as I once did.  Eventually I suspect they'll have the big scandal and following reform like all the other major sports, or instead they'll just get more and more corrupt until I lose interest.

If it's a problem for you, you can always put me on ignore and I'd be none the wiser.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Yes, the difference is the videotape as far as the public and casual fan is concerned.  No, I am not saying it is right, far from it. 

The comparison is Ray Lewis.  Nobody with half a brain thinks Lewis was completely innocent when his buddies murdered a guy.  Every ridiculous excuse and explanation was made to protect Lewis by mainstream sports media.  A video would have changed that.

BTW, I think Mixon will be a very good player and a huge part of the offense.  From a football standpoint, great pick.

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yes, the difference is the videotape as far as the public and casual fan is concerned.  No, I am not saying it is right, far from it. 

The comparison is Ray Lewis.  Nobody with half a brain thinks Lewis was completely innocent when his buddies murdered a guy.  Every ridiculous excuse and explanation was made to protect Lewis by mainstream sports media.  A video would have changed that.

No question.  Then again, there was video of Joey Porter and his goons mugging Jones and the NFL was happy to ignore that.  There's some very cynical math that goes on, where the available evidence & severity of the crime gets weighed against the popularity (read as $$$ value) of the accused. 

12 hours ago, Hooky said:

I would love to see an alternate universe where the pats pick him and see how different the response is.

"Yet another studly move by Bill Belicheat. Sure the player had a problem in his past, but that was a long time ago and he's been a model pro since then. With first round talent it is only the namby pamby gutless GMs who couldn't look past his history, but the Patriots know a great player with a mighty skillset and have got a steal here at pick x. When all is said and done this is like getting Prime Walter Payton in the second round. A plus plus plus plus plus plus".

43 minutes ago, VonBlade said:

"Yet another studly move by Bill Belicheat. Sure the player had a problem in his past, but that was a long time ago and he's been a model pro since then. With first round talent it is only the namby pamby gutless GMs who couldn't look past his history, but the Patriots know a great player with a mighty skillset and have got a steal here at pick x. When all is said and done this is like getting Prime Walter Payton in the second round. A plus plus plus plus plus plus".

Wingo, Eisen and Mayock were appalled that he was drafted. They were putting their outrage face on for the women out there. If Mixon killed a guy, they wouldn't have acted as outraged. If they truly think that he shouldn't have the right to play, they should be pissed at the NFL for making him draft eligible.

They were also talking about all but 4 teams taking him off their board. A lot of those were probably not looking for an RB and the rest took him off because they didn't want to deal with the media's selective outrage. I'm guessing the owners do background checks on their players, so they know that they have players with a checkered past. So they can't blame MB for picking him.

Archived