** RD 2 - BENGALS select JOE MIXON, RB **

3 hours ago, B.A.B. said:

So you're mad....why? He paid his price just like your son did. 

What price did he pay? My son spent an entire weeked locked up and lost his license for an entire year, Mixon,..ZERO. He got community service washing Bob Stoops big screen TVs. Stop with your nonsense.

Elite football and basketball players are pretty much above the rules at almost every level starting from grade school.

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

What price did he pay? My son spent an entire weeked locked up and lost his license for an entire year, Mixon,..ZERO. He got community service washing Bob Stoops big screen TVs. Stop with your nonsense.

Elite football and basketball players are pretty much above the rules at almost every level starting from grade school.

Mixon will have a public stigma attached to him the rest of his life.  Your son will get past this, if he hasn't already.

So, this years Mr Irrelevant.

The newspaper reported that Kelly "faces multiple charges including third-degree assault, second-degree harassment, second-degree menacing, resisting arrest, fourth-degree criminal mischief and second-degree obstructing governmental administration."

"So I've been trying to say that if you take out the medical and the character, he's a first- or second-round quarterback all day long,"

NFL Draft analyst Mike Mayock said after Denver's selection of Kelly. "If you take his two tapes against Alabama, and put them up against Deshaun Watson's, they're every bit as good."

Nope. No difference in how those two events panned out and were reported.

(and that's without getting into the guy the Stains picked)

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

What price did he pay? My son spent an entire weeked locked up and lost his license for an entire year, Mixon,..ZERO.

Mixon was suspended from OU football for an entire year (1 full season), agreed to pay out a settlement to the victim (undisclosed), and ESPN calculated that his drop in the draft cost him $25,000,000 ... so you were close ... only 25 million off. ;)

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

LOL zero? You've got guys out here writing him off as a degenerate, people literally wishing harm on him, because of something he did the day after he turned 18, 3 years ago. Your son got a shitty draw but so do kids everywhere everyday. Get over it. 

:boese045: Exhibit A: Cleveland chose Caleb Brantley in the draft, who punched and knocked a woman unconscious 2 weeks ago !!! And the entire nation yawned and didn't give a shit. Meanwhile, Mixon is the lead on Sportscenter all day and the Bengals are smeared.

Then the Cleveland Browns took the cowardly road and didn't even defend their decision to make the pick! :MotherOfGusta-min:

Browns admit they might not keep Caleb Brantley

The Cleveland Browns chose Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley with the 185th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft on Saturday.

Considered one of the nation's top interior defensive line prospects, Brantley fell through the draft after he was charged on suspicion of misdemeanor battery following an alleged physical altercation with a woman earlier this month. Brantley allegedly struck the woman with a closed fist and knocked her unconscious in Gainesville, Florida, on April 13, according to the Gainesville Police Dept.

The Browns deeply researched the matter and personally visited with Brantley before making the pick, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

However, Browns executive vice president Sashi Brown told reporters Saturday the team could decide not to keep Brantley. According to NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala, Brown said the misdemeanor charge Brantley is facing is "concerning."

"This may not be something we can get comfortable with," Brown said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804870/article/browns-admit-they-might-not-keep-caleb-brantley

8 hours ago, B.A.B. said:

LOL zero? You've got guys out here writing him off as a degenerate, people literally wishing harm on him, because of something he did the day after he turned 18, 3 years ago. Your son got a shitty draw but so do kids everywhere everyday. Get over it. 

I didn't call him a degenerate nor did I wish harm on him. I said nothing happened to him even though he committed a felonious assault and caused bodily harm.  You can damn well believe if Mixon were the editor of the school newspaper it would have been handled differently.

8 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

:boese045: Exhibit A: Cleveland chose Caleb Brantley in the draft, who punched and knocked a woman unconscious 2 weeks ago !!! And the entire nation yawned and didn't give a shit. Meanwhile, Mixon is the lead on Sportscenter all day and the Bengals are smeared.

Then the Cleveland Browns took the cowardly road and didn't even defend their decision to make the pick! :MotherOfGusta-min:

Browns admit they might not keep Caleb Brantley

The Cleveland Browns chose Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley with the 185th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft on Saturday.

Considered one of the nation's top interior defensive line prospects, Brantley fell through the draft after he was charged on suspicion of misdemeanor battery following an alleged physical altercation with a woman earlier this month. Brantley allegedly struck the woman with a closed fist and knocked her unconscious in Gainesville, Florida, on April 13, according to the Gainesville Police Dept.

The Browns deeply researched the matter and personally visited with Brantley before making the pick, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

However, Browns executive vice president Sashi Brown told reporters Saturday the team could decide not to keep Brantley. According to NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala, Brown said the misdemeanor charge Brantley is facing is "concerning."

"This may not be something we can get comfortable with," Brown said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804870/article/browns-admit-they-might-not-keep-caleb-brantley

Yep and if he had not been a University of Florida football player, he would not have been charged with only a misdemeanor for punching a women and rendering her unconscious Ray Rice style. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, BlackJesus said:

Mike Mayock: "He's a top 15 talent, but I wouldn't draft him because he punched a woman 3 years ago." 

Yeah, that's now how the real world works. He settled that case and even the woman said she has moved on. Mixon still has a life ahead of him and has a right to be employed.

Was that a scumbag move? Of course. But he was 18 and might live 60-70 more years. So what is he supposed to do? Crawl in a hole forever. Pac Man was exonerated on a similar situation in the past where a woman assaulted (using this word lightly) him first and he punched her. I would never advocate punching a woman (unless she was trying to stab you) but the case could be made that he was responding to her aggression. 

I am very stoked they drafted Joe Mixon and here is why.He is a winner,I feel he has more than paid his dues about the incident .No one talks about her starting all of this.She was drunk and not only pushed him but was calling him racial slurs. and being only 18 he just quickly snapped.I say to all the idiots that say they they would not draft him,please get over yourself and if you are without sin,please cast the first stone.

He met with her this year and settled this and she admitted she should not have done what she did.I am not saying he was right in hitting her,however he has paid for it.Remember there is different RULES for black players than white players and that is just my believe and I am a former decorated white Vietnam veteran retired and 70 years old.He was super wrong in hitting her but many of you will agree that when you were 18 you probably would have done something similar.The guy will pay for this his whole life which is wrong,kinda like guys that get out of prison for a crime,but have to wear that forever even though they did their time,,but society makes pay forever. the teams that took him off their board only did so because of tickets being sold and all that,and I say to them,GET OVER YOURSELFS YOU HIPROCRITS.Everyone has done something they shouldn't have.I am super happy to have Mr.joe Mixon.

Thank you for your service, Forty. And you will never be a "former" decorated vet, you still are. I missed the draft for that war by only 3 months, but had some older friends who were there in the shit with you. What they told me they saw (and had to do), reduces the perspectives of acts by 18-year old immature college students down to less-than minuscule levels. 

It is simply inaccurate to say Mixon didn't pay for his crime.  Between the civil suit and lost earnings by falling out of the top 15 in the draft, Mixon cost himself easily $10 million with one terrible action.  He also served a one year suspension and has a criminal record.  You can debate that there should have been jail time or he should have been expelled, but arguing he walked away free and clear is just flat out untrue.

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Mixon was suspended from OU football for an entire year (1 full season), agreed to pay out a settlement to the victim (undisclosed), and ESPN calculated that his drop in the draft cost him $25,000,000 ... so you were close ... only 25 million off. ;)

Money has nothing to do with arrest, trial and possible incarceration.  The average Joe doesn't have the option to pay off his victim and still play professional sports for millions. His less money is still a lot of money.

Average Joe takes it up the ass since victim want payback.  

Still think it is a good pick.

I'm all for second chances.  I just wish it wasn't always the Bengals involved with these guys.  Some work out and others continue to be an embarrassment.  I hope Mixon keeps out of trouble and plays well now that he is here.  

As far as special treatment, hell yes Mixon got special treatment at Oklahoma.  Do you think an average student wouldn't be thrown out of a university these days for hitting a woman?  Males are routinely pitched for he said/she said stuff all the time by schools.  Due process is non existent.  And if they actually have video?  Haha.  An average student would be gonzo along with an order never to step foot on campus again. 

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm all for second chances.  I just wish it wasn't always the Bengals involved with these guys.  Some work out and others continue to be an embarrassment.  I hope Mixon keeps out of trouble and plays well now that he is here.  

As far as special treatment, hell yes Mixon got special treatment at Oklahoma.  Do you think an average student wouldn't be thrown out of a university these days for hitting a woman?  Males are routinely pitched for he said/she said stuff all the time by schools.  Due process is non existent.  And if they actually have video?  Haha.  An average student would be gonzo along with an order never to step foot on campus again. 

It's not always the Bengals that do this, but when other teams do it, they're saints for giving kids a second chance. The raiders are taking a chance on a pick that has been accused of rape. Jameis Winston was seen as a great pick. If the Bengals picked either of them, they would get destroyed by the media. But when was the last time that the Bengals drafted somebody with serious baggage? 

This is nothing but an attack on Mike Brown and the media's need to act appalled. I watched the Oklahoma - Ohio State game last Fall and I don't recall it being mentioned. I don't think many people knew about it until the last few weeks. So this horrible person that perfomed a horrible act was basically ignored, but now is horrible again. Well, he is trying to enter a league that has the highest of standards, they don't just let anybody in. But somehow, he wasn't declared ineligible for the draft. Wouldn't this all be Goodell's fault? If Mixon is such a despicable human being, why is he allowed in the draft in the first place? 

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

This is nothing but an attack on Mike Brown and the media's need to act appalled. I watched the Oklahoma - Ohio State game last Fall and I don't recall it being mentioned. I don't think many people knew about it until the last few weeks. So this horrible person that perfomed a horrible act was basically ignored, but now is horrible again. Well, he is trying to enter a league that has the highest of standards, they don't just let anybody in. But somehow, he wasn't declared ineligible for the draft. Wouldn't this all be Goodell's fault? If Mixon is such a despicable human being, why is he allowed in the draft in the first place? 

It would never stand up in court.  

22 minutes ago, Hooky said:

It's not always the Bengals that do this, but when other teams do it, they're saints for giving kids a second chance. The raiders are taking a chance on a pick that has been accused of rape. Jameis Winston was seen as a great pick. If the Bengals picked either of them, they would get destroyed by the media. But when was the last time that the Bengals drafted somebody with serious baggage? 

No doubt the media uses the Bengals as a punching bag, but i think you have some selective memory.  Winston was not heralded as a great pick.  His off field issues were brought up and quite often.  There wasn't a video of him punching a blonde girl for the media to use to stir up the storm that is around Mixon, but TB took their share of heat.  Here is one article written pre-draft about Winston that I found pretty quickly.  I'm sure there are more.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/jameis-winston-nfl-draft-tampa-bay-first-pick-2015-florida-state

It's not just drafting these guys it's keeping them around.  Pacman is the most obvious case right now.  Thurman was another.  Henry.  These guys have been very public and Brown stands behind them all.  Sometimes he is rewarded and other times it looks bad.  Brown claims he likes second chances.  This is just as much about cheap talent.  

18 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

No doubt the media uses the Bengals as a punching bag, but i think you have some selective memory.  Winston was not heralded as a great pick.  His off field issues were brought up and quite often.  There wasn't a video of him punching a blonde girl for the media to use to stir up the storm that is around Mixon, but TB took their share of heat.  Here is one article written pre-draft about Winston that I found pretty quickly.  I'm sure there are more.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/jameis-winston-nfl-draft-tampa-bay-first-pick-2015-florida-state

It's not just drafting these guys it's keeping them around.  Pacman is the most obvious case right now.  Thurman was another.  Henry.  These guys have been very public and Brown stands behind them all.  Sometimes he is rewarded and other times it looks bad.  Brown claims he likes second chances.  This is just as much about cheap talent.  

There's nothing wrong with cheap talent. Somebody else would've got him for even cheaper. 

And it was odd that you chose to say "blonde girl".

5 minutes ago, Hooky said:

There's nothing wrong with cheap talent. Somebody else would've got him for even cheaper. 

And it was odd that you chose to say "blonde girl".

I think we covered that either in another thread or earlier in this thread.

I waited to reply to this pick until now. This young man paid his price, charged, suspended, and sued! If i paid for every mistake i made as harshly as some would have this young man pay - well, Hell - i'd be homeless, shirtless and probably dead. When a crime is committed and the individual shows remorse, paid his price, then we as a society need to move on. So last word - He is a Bengal and will have my undying support until he no longer earns it or moves on. Until then who-dey - Welcome to CinCity!

Bengals crew, good afternoon.  I'm a Sooner fan stopping by to drop some nuggets on Joe Mixon.  The main reason I wanted to post was to add a little bit more context to the Mixon situation, correct one or two misconceptions, and opine on a few other factors relating to Joe.

First and foremost, Joe paid a steep price for his misdeed.  It wasn't merely a "redshirt year"; Joe was kicked off the team for the duration of the suspension.  That means no facilities, no trainers, no meetings/coaching, no travel.  He worked community service, he went to counseling, and...incredibly...he chose to stay at the University instead of transferring away from his problems.  My guess is that his decision tells you a lot about how he approaches problems.  He chose the hard road that meant putting in extra work and serving out his punishment instead of transferring.  And we haven't even talked about the obvious contract implications (dropping from a first rounder to a second rounder).  And we haven't talked about the dearth of endorsement deals.  He needed to pay for this.  He did.

Second, one of the media misconceptions on Mixon is that this was a case of "domestic violence".  You guys all know this intuitively, but a few media members struggle with this concept...when it's not a home-related incident, it's not domestic violence.  This isn't Ray Rice, or any other player, making a choice to attack their spouse.  This was a one-time, snap-decision response to a person slapping him.  Joe made the wrong choice, a truly horrific one, and he'll be apologizing for it for the rest of his life.

Third, Media members are scrambling to fit this 2014 incident into their narrative.  Several of you have made this point, but it bears repeating: media will not let this case go...because it's the easiest way to generate clicks/interest/ad revenue.  It's so frighteningly consumable...a video!...man hits woman!...star football player!...it's the gift that keeps on giving to the media, and you will see them re-hash this story in increasingly bizarre and creative ways in the years to come.  Enjoy.

Here's something that needs to be corrected: as recently as this weekend, ESPN "talent" (specifically Kavitha Davidson) reported that there were *new* allegations that Joe had hit a girl in high school.  That's false.  That claim is years old, and it was retracted by the individual who made the claim.  Here's a portion of the retraction:

"My daughter went to Freedom High School with Joe, and they have been friends for much of their lives. Once, when they were in school together, my daughter had a minor disagreement with some of her classmates that got blown out of proportion. Like any father would, I reacted emotionally. Unfortunately, I did so before I had all the facts. Now, having talked to my daughter and investigated the whole story, I realize that I was mistaken about Joe’s involvement. I definitely overreacted, and I regret that my words might have given some people the wrong impression about Joe. I know that Joe did not hurt my daughter, did not intend to, and would not do so.  Joe and my daughter are still good friends. Joe is a great kid with a bright future in front of him, and he is welcome in my home anytime."

So we have an ESPN reporter...putting out information that has been retracted...and damaging his character without merit.  That's the level of reporting we're seeing around the Mixon incident at the national level.

To wrap things up a bit...I've always felt a need to defend Joe.  Not from the incident itself, as he deserved punishment, but from the character assassination that came with it.  Everyone does bad things.  Joe did an especially terrible thing.  But let's be clear: if you want to be honest with yourself and say that the *worst moment* of your life has been caught on tape, made public, and virally consumed...I'd bet you'd tell me that you are more than just that one moment.  And that you've learned from it.  We should give Joe the same grace that we'd ask for ourselves.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Joe's high school coach, his school administrators, his father, and Joe himself.  The high school posse raved about his character.  Joe is a quiet guy.  He talks a lot on the field, he's got a big social media presence, but in reality, he's a soft-spoken individual.  The OU coaches will tell you that they would have made Joe a captain but knew that the media would give them loads of hell.  But that's the kind of presence that he had in the locker room - peacemaker, workout leader, not a hot head.

You got a great player.  Be content with that.  Sorry about the media ****storm.  Best to you guys in 2017.

Thanks for your post and perspective Mexas.  I have to admit that I was one who was quick to be "consumed" by the video...and initially hated "my team" for drafting him.  I'm starting to come around to the reality of the situation now though.  I guess we'll see how it plays out, but I can already hear the Sunday commentators every time he's on camera..."that was a nice 8 yd run by Mixon...but, as you recall, he was involved in...".  I hope the kid is given a real chance and that he doesn't have to pay the price forever.  We'll see.

Let's play some football already.

Thanks, Stuck. That was very insightful. Since it was one incident 3 years ago and has gone through everything you mentioned, he has a clean slate with me. Until he does it again. He's suffered enough. I wonder how much more these people opposed think he should.

But us Bengals fans will have to deal with being judged just for supporting him. Can somebody wear his jersey without getting nasty looks or worse?

That's how rabid some people are about it right now. I think they are worried that if they still root for the bengals, people will think they are OK with punching a woman. They feel like they need to prove that they think it's wrong. Maybe I'm looking too far into it.

Archived