** RD 2 - BENGALS select JOE MIXON, RB **

1 hour ago, Stuck In Mexas said:

Here's something that needs to be corrected: as recently as this weekend, ESPN "talent" (specifically Kavitha Davidson) reported that there were *new* allegations that Joe had hit a girl in high school.  That's false.  That claim is years old, and it was retracted by the individual who made the claim.  Here's a portion of the retraction:

I allege that Goodell and Kavitha took turns felching a heavily-drugged unshaven peccary at an officially licensed ESPNFL Draft after-party.  Someone alert Alex Jones & the SPCA.

If that woman was a man and did the exact say stuff to Mixon, he would have simply been defending himself.

But since it was a woman, some act like all that he went through afterwards isn't enough. Some even want to 

act like they're outraged ... 3 years later. I am not one of those people. 

His "victim" forgave him and said move on. Yet some self righteous people want to act like it was them he hit. 

I think it's all pretty ridiculous. Of course I am not condoning hitting a woman. I have never hit a woman.

But I have shook the shit out of a bitch. He didn't "attack" her. He didn't have a relationship with her.

Knock her out and then act unconcerned and drag her around like a sack of potatoes. He reacted poorly 

to her attacking him. I think he has more than paid the price.

Anyway. He was punished and played for years after this incident. He has a clean slate in my eyes.

I'm rooting for him. I hope nothing but the best for him.

Bengals teammates support Joe Mixon, but fans are divided

CINCINNATI - Everyone seems to have an opinion about Joe Mixon. His new teammates say they’re behind him.

“Dwelling on the past is not going to help him move forward,” Bengals safety George Iloka said.  “I'm going to treat him on what I see him do now on and off the field.”

“I don't think you should hang the man on what he did when he was younger,” said defensive end Carlos Dunlap. “It was very extreme and I think he paid for it.  I think he learned from it.”

But the city is divided on whether the Bengals should have drafted the Oklahoma running back who punched a woman in the face in a restaurant three years ago.

WATCH the video (Some people will find it disturbing):

People shopping at Koch's Sporting Goods downtown had seen the video and were familiar with Mixon's background. They were mixed on the WCPO.com editorial that called the Bengals’ pick “inexcusable” and said  fans should donate to groups helping prevent violence against women instead of buying Bengals tickets.

“That's not a terrible thought,” said Christopher Wood. “I think they need some kind of pressure to make these choices cost them.

“I don't agree with that,” Matt Hoffman countered.  “I think you support the Bengals whoever you put on the field.  If you're not going to support the Bengals, do it because they're not winning.”

Erika Yingling had another thought after watching the video and it had nothing to do with the Bengals winning or losing. She's director of Family and Community Intervention for the YWCA of Greater Cincinnati.

“In particular, this specific case shows that it can happen in any space and that women are vulnerable in public spaces as well as private spaces.” Yingling said.

“We want to believe that there's change available for people. I think for this incident we need to look at what has been done to make sure that this isn't going to happen again.

"We know in our field that the recidivism rate for people who commit acts of violence is 76.5 percent if they don't have an appropriate intervention," she said.

Madisonville's Alex Brantley suggested that the woman shared the blame for pushing Mixon and grabbing his neck.

“Violence against women — I'm just as against that as I am with a woman putting her hands on a man,” Brantley said.

He wrote to us saying people shouldn't continue to hold the assault against Mixon.

“The only person that's going to decide the rest of his career and how his life plays out is Joe Mixon and that's on him  … Yes, I do believe he should have a second chance to prove himself and move past it,” Brantley said.

Mixon came to town over the weekend and answered questions about punching the woman and shattering four bones in her face. The incident happened at 2:30 a.m., a few weeks before Mixon started his freshman year at the University of Oklahoma.

“It hurt to really see it. It hurt to talk about it. But, at the end of the day I'm going to do whatever I can to move forward past the situation,” Mixon said. “Very unfortunately and at the end of the day, I'm blessed to be in this situation.”

Mixon says he's not the person he was three years ago.

”Doing counseling, doing community service, helping out little kids that don't get talking to, because I was one of those kids that needed it and benefited,” Mixon said.

News video in the link ...

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/bengals-teammates-support-joe-mixon-but-fans-are-divided

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/03/cincinnati-tv-station-urges-fans-to-boycott-bengals-for-drafting-player-who-punched-a-woman/?utm_term=.1abdda10b021

Typically, television stations are reluctant to rip athletes, but Joe Mixon is no ordinary athlete and now a Cincinnati TV station is urging Bengals fans to boycott games because of his violent past.

Cincinnati’s ABC affiliate says in a blistering editorial that, “this time, the Bengals have gone too far.” The city and team have stood by players like Adam Jones, who has had off-the-field issues, as well as Vontaze Burfict and the team after a nationally televised meltdown in a playoff game in January 2016. But taking Mixon, the talented Oklahoma running back who fell to the second round of the draft last week because of a 2014 incident in which he punched a woman, was a step too far. The optics were especially poor because of video of the incident and the NFL’s past crisis over domestic violence, beginning with the Ray Rice incident three years ago. The lesson of domestic violence is one that has been lost on the Bengals, the station says in an editorial that carries a WCPO editorial board byline. The post reads, in part:

A man hitting a woman is not OK. Drafting Mixon says the Bengals think it is.

The Bengals can’t control how a player acts. But they can control how the organization handles incidents like Adam Jones’ arrest. The team can control the types of players it signs, drafts and trades for.

Apparently, Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis and the Bengals management think winning is all that matters. Apparently, those franchise leaders don’t care about potentially alienating the team’s female fans.

It’s time we as fans tried to teach this team a lesson. We say tried because at this point, we have to wonder if the leaders of this team will EVER get it.

Maybe the only way is through the Bengals’ pocketbook.

We are urging every Bengals fan to take drastic action.

Instead of buying a Bengals ticket this year, take the $50 or more you would have spent on that ticket and donate the money to a nonprofit that works to prevent violence against women. We have included a list of organizations below.

Enough is enough, Bengals. We can excuse another season without winning a playoff game.

We can’t excuse drafting another player like Joe Mixon.

"A man hitting a woman is not OK. Drafting Mixon says the Bengals think it is."

So the stealers think killing and fighting dogs is OK, rape is OK. The ravens think murder is OK. The patriots think vehicular manslaughter is OK, etc...

I finally watched the interview with Kavitha Davidson from ESPN and it's exactly the hatchet job you would expect.  She talks about Greg Hardy and his history and tries to draw a parallel to Mixon.  The only problem is the "new" incident she mentions has been completely debunked.  It's laughable for her to say Mixon shouldn't he banned from the NFL when her whole argument boils down to exactly that.  I expected blowback for taking Mixon so I cannot be surprised by the media giving voice to outright lies and distortions. All the same, screw that bitch and I am glad she is butthurt about Mixon being a Bengal. 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I finally watched the interview with Kavitha Davidson from ESPN and it's exactly the hatchet job you would expect.  She talks about Greg Hardy and his history and tries to draw a parallel to Mixon.  The only problem is the "new" incident she mentions has been completely debunked.  It's laughable for her to say Mixon shouldn't he banned from the NFL when her whole argument boils down to exactly that.  I expected blowback for taking Mixon so I cannot be surprised by the media giving voice to outright lies and distortions. All the same, screw that bitch and I am glad she is butthurt about Mixon being a Bengal. 

a couple of days ago Stephen a smith on his radio show attacked the Bengals organization,he then went out of his to attack the character Marvin Lewis of and a couple of other Bengals players both past and present.He made Joe mixon sound like a monster and even went after burfict again.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, SF2 said:

My son never attacked a 125 lb girl and sent her to the hospital.  Apples and oranges.  And my son was ostracized by many of the students and parents, the QB not so much ( certainly some though).

apples & oranges....sounds like the difference b/t your sons case & Mixon's....

but either way why even try to connect the two....?? 

imo that makes no sense on your part....

I think ppl should get off Mixon's case....it's been 3 yrs & it's over....LET IT GO....

let's support him & the 2017 Bengals......it's the grown up thing to do....

pls...let go of your hate....

Bengals crew, good afternoon.  I'm a Sooner fan stopping by to drop some nuggets on Joe Mixon.  The main reason I wanted to post was to add a little bit more context to the Mixon situation, correct one or two misconceptions, and opine on a few other factors relating to Joe.

First and foremost, Joe paid a steep price for his misdeed.  It wasn't merely a "redshirt year"; Joe was kicked off the team for the duration of the suspension.  That means no facilities, no trainers, no meetings/coaching, no travel.  He worked community service, he went to counseling, and...incredibly...he chose to stay at the University instead of transferring away from his problems.  My guess is that his decision tells you a lot about how he approaches problems.  He chose the hard road that meant putting in extra work and serving out his punishment instead of transferring.  And we haven't even talked about the obvious contract implications (dropping from a first rounder to a second rounder).  And we haven't talked about the dearth of endorsement deals.  He needed to pay for this.  He did.

Second, one of the media misconceptions on Mixon is that this was a case of "domestic violence".  You guys all know this intuitively, but a few media members struggle with this concept...when it's not a home-related incident, it's not domestic violence.  This isn't Ray Rice, or any other player, making a choice to attack their spouse.  This was a one-time, snap-decision response to a person slapping him.  Joe made the wrong choice, a truly horrific one, and he'll be apologizing for it for the rest of his life.

Third, Media members are scrambling to fit this 2014 incident into their narrative.  Several of you have made this point, but it bears repeating: media will not let this case go...because it's the easiest way to generate clicks/interest/ad revenue.  It's so frighteningly consumable...a video!...man hits woman!...star football player!...it's the gift that keeps on giving to the media, and you will see them re-hash this story in increasingly bizarre and creative ways in the years to come.  Enjoy.

Here's something that needs to be corrected: as recently as this weekend, ESPN "talent" (specifically Kavitha Davidson) reported that there were *new* allegations that Joe had hit a girl in high school.  That's false.  That claim is years old, and it was retracted by the individual who made the claim.  Here's a portion of the retraction:

"My daughter went to Freedom High School with Joe, and they have been friends for much of their lives. Once, when they were in school together, my daughter had a minor disagreement with some of her classmates that got blown out of proportion. Like any father would, I reacted emotionally. Unfortunately, I did so before I had all the facts. Now, having talked to my daughter and investigated the whole story, I realize that I was mistaken about Joe’s involvement. I definitely overreacted, and I regret that my words might have given some people the wrong impression about Joe. I know that Joe did not hurt my daughter, did not intend to, and would not do so.  Joe and my daughter are still good friends. Joe is a great kid with a bright future in front of him, and he is welcome in my home anytime."

So we have an ESPN reporter...putting out information that has been retracted...and damaging his character without merit.  That's the level of reporting we're seeing around the Mixon incident at the national level.

To wrap things up a bit...I've always felt a need to defend Joe.  Not from the incident itself, as he deserved punishment, but from the character assassination that came with it.  Everyone does bad things.  Joe did an especially terrible thing.  But let's be clear: if you want to be honest with yourself and say that the *worst moment* of your life has been caught on tape, made public, and virally consumed...I'd bet you'd tell me that you are more than just that one moment.  And that you've learned from it.  We should give Joe the same grace that we'd ask for ourselves.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Joe's high school coach, his school administrators, his father, and Joe himself.  The high school posse raved about his character.  Joe is a quiet guy.  He talks a lot on the field, he's got a big social media presence, but in reality, he's a soft-spoken individual.  The OU coaches will tell you that they would have made Joe a captain but knew that the media would give them loads of hell.  But that's the kind of presence that he had in the locker room - peacemaker, workout leader, not a hot head.

You got a great player.  Be content with that.  Sorry about the media ****storm.  Best to you guys in 2017.

This was really helpful to read, thanks for taking the time to write and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, bigboi said:

a couple of days ago Stephen a smith on his radio show attacked the Bengals organization,he then went out of his to attack the character Marvin Lewis of and a couple of other Bengals players both past and present.He made Joe mixon sound like a monster and even went after burfict again.

I don't remember him attacking the stealers for having a rapist and convicted dog killer on the team and having at least one player suspended at the beginning of every season.

14 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I don't remember him attacking the stealers for having a rapist and convicted dog killer on the team and having at least one player suspended at the beginning of every season.

And that's why I no longer watch ESPN.  I watch sports to be entertained, not to be lectured to by douche bags like Stephanie Smith.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

And that's why I no longer watch ESPN.  I watch sports to be entertained, not to be lectured to by douche bags like Stephanie Smith.

He is all over the board. He goes for the biggest reaction regardless of his opinions being inconsistent from day to day.

Bengals president explains in letter why team drafted Joe Mixon

By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com

May 5, 2017 at 07:13 p.m. 

In a letter published Friday in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Bengals owner and president Mike Brown addressed why the team drafted Joe Mixon, writing the "risk has an upside as well as a downside" despite the "terrible thing" Mixon did in college.

The controversial running back, who was the subject of national attention after he was shown punching and knocking out a woman on camera, was drafted by the Bengals at No. 48 overall in the second round of the NFL draft last week. Mixon was pegged by many draft analysts to be a Day 2 pick despite questions about his character following the incident, which occurred in July 2014 prior to his freshman season at Oklahoma.

Brown's letter comes three days after a Cincinnati-based advocacy group called on the Bengals to take a stand against domestic violence and sexual assault.

"We expect businesses in our great city, and this includes sports teams, to place a high value on speaking out against both domestic violence and sexual assault," Kristin Smith-Shrimplin, president and CEO of Women Helping Women, told The Associated Press.

Prior to his first rookie minicamp session with the Bengals on Friday, Mixon said he appreciated Brown's support.

"I've been just trying to get in here and be with my teammates and move forward with the situation," Mixon said, according to ESPN's Katherine Terrell. "Thank you Mike Brown for that, but I'm just trying to move on and come out here and compete and learn this playbook and get our team the win."

Oklahoma suspended Mixon for a season for punching Amelia Molitor, a fellow Oklahoma student, after a brief confrontation at a restaurant. Molitor suffered fractured bones in her face, according to The Associated Press. Video of the incident wasn't made public until after a judge ordered the release of security videos in December 2016.

Mixon, 20, completed one year of probation, 100 hours of community service and behavioral counseling as part of a plea agreement to a misdemeanor assault charge, according to court records. Last week, a settlement was reached in the civil lawsuit Molitor filed against Mixon, according to the Associated Press. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

"This is definitely going to be attached to my name the rest of my life and the end of the day I'm going to do whatever I can to move forward and move past it," Mixon told NFL Network's Judy Battista last week after being drafted. "Just keep playing and I look forward to having a great career here and being the best teammate and person possible."

Here is Brown's complete letter:

In the NFL draft last Friday, the Cincinnati Bengals selected a very talented football player who did a terrible thing his freshman year at college.

The player -- Joe Mixon -- is a top level football player by everyone's account. Joe's regrettable deed was that he struck a young woman, another student, shortly after arriving on campus in Norman, Oklahoma, three years ago.

Joe and this young woman recently met in person, came to terms with the incident, and they agreed to resolve their differences so they could move forward with their lives. While the circumstances that led up to the incident are unclear -- what is clear is that it is unacceptable for a man to strike a woman.

Since the incident three years ago, Joe was suspended by the football team, pleaded guilty in court, and accepted the consequences of his actions. He later went on to become a good citizen in Norman, a popular teammate, a player respected by his coaches, and one of the most talented players in college football.

The Bengals take pride in our hometown and want to provide winning football on the field and successful players off the field. That is the reason we drafted Joe -- he is a rare football talent, and his conduct over the past three years leads us to believe he can help us win football games and also become a productive member of this community.

In making our decision, we took a risk. In this case, the risk has an upside as well as a downside. We believe Joe has put this behind him and that he can turn into the player and community member that creates a plus for Cincinnati. We are going to do everything in our power to make this happen. Our hope is that time will prove that this opportunity is deserved, and perhaps -- if given a chance -- Joe can write a chapter in Cincinnati sports history that both he and Cincinnati can be proud of.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mike Brown, President

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000806641/article/bengals-president-explains-in-letter-why-team-drafted-joe-mixon

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Now if someone like Pacanimal hit a woman and was caught on video camera... Wait a minute, he DID and was.

Meh, I think most of us know the difference between a hit and gentle, "Bitch, get the fuck out of my face."

I hope Mixon tears the league up!  I can't wait for all of the angst it would create.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Meh, I think most of us know the difference between a hit and gentle, "Bitch, get the fuck out of my face."

If you're a recognizable NFL player with a history of violent outbursts, I'm not sure there is a difference. 

I have to wonder if the team would be getting as much shit over drafting Mixon if they had cut Pacman the 3rd, 4th, 5th time it happened.

46 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If you're a recognizable NFL player with a history of violent outbursts, I'm not sure there is a difference. 

I have to wonder if the team would be getting as much shit over drafting Mixon if they had cut Pacman the 3rd, 4th, 5th time it happened.

They would. Saint Stephen A would still have daily10-minute soliloquies to fill.

Archived