** RD 5 - BENGALS select J.J. DIELMAN, C **

32 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

How much development do you expect in one offseason? 

well none of us can really say for sure but I'm certainly not expecting a train wreck like last year.....it'll likely take them a few games to get their footing but I think overall the line will be solid as a unit as long as they don't get hammered with injuries. 

On 5/6/2017 at 9:11 AM, T-Dub said:

How much development do you expect in one offseason?  I don't see Ced going from completely lost at RT to All-Pro LT.  The thing is, it's not just a matter of him getting better.  To improve over last season he & Smith have to be better than the guys they've replaced.  That seems totally unrealistic to me.

Just Lapham on NFL Radio and he said basically the same thing, that the success of the season comes down to the performance of the OT's specifically. Being that there are no quality options besides Ogbuehi and Fischer on the roster it's like an unnecessarily risky move, hopefully the Bengals add a proven vet via trade or late offseason cuts that can offer a plan B incase Ced's level of play hasn't dramatically improved. 

On 5/6/2017 at 9:11 AM, T-Dub said:

How much development do you expect in one offseason?  I don't see Ced going from completely lost at RT to All-Pro LT.  The thing is, it's not just a matter of him getting better.  To improve over last season he & Smith have to be better than the guys they've replaced.  That seems totally unrealistic to me.

Given that Ced in particular hasn't had an offseason with us that wasn't all about rehab instead of refining technique, and he had one major weakness to fix, I think a significant improvement is possible.  They also say the biggest improvement happens between year 1 and year 2.  And last year really was his year one.  And Fisher wasn't bad last year.

IMO, this roster is three players away from being as good as any in the league.  Unfortunately those three players are charged with keeping Dalton/McWebb alive.  Still don't have much love for Bodine, Walter might make a decent 3rd (swing) tackle and I've seen nothing that would make me think switching Oggie from right to left will yield any kind of positive results.  Looking back, I'm not really that sure what the coaching staff even saw in college.  At this point, if he can't cut it we're faced with Walter or Winston.  I'm gonna be very nice when discussing Andy (never speak ill of the condemned).

Right now, I'm hoping some team cuts a veteran LT loose for financial reasons that has something left in the tank.  I'm so pessimistic about the OLIne situation at this point that it's tough garnering much enthusiasm for the upcoming season.

I'm not sure I understand the optimism for the 2017 OL. I mean, I hope they don't suck, but I don't see how people believe it's going to be just fine. Being cautiously optimistic is one thing, but I don't really get the mentality of "they're going to be good and you're wrong if you don't agree" line of thinking. Doesn't seem realistic IMO.

Pass blocking - One of the highest sack totals in the league in 2016, lost 2 players that gave up between 0 - 3 sacks each (that means a hefty majority of those 41 sacks were almost exclusively on the 3 guys we're keeping around). Not a horrible line as far as giving up total pressures compared to teams around the league (we weren't totally shit like Indy or Cleveland). Starting LT was one of the league's worst RTs in 2016, has huge issues with punch and strength. Bodine likely shows continued improvement but medium starter at best, he STILL needs to work on his damn hands, Paul should be ashamed. Boling back to form, very likely upper tier, criminally underrated LG in 2017. Smith is a question mark at RG, never played the position in college or pro, fans assuming he's going to be as good as top tier RG Zeitler are optimistic for the sake of being optimistic, no real data or reasons to assume he's going to be dog shit or great, big question mark. Winston/Fisher, meh, I can't get excited about the idea of either being a starter in 2017.

Run blocking - We've rated below average in every advanced or basic metric you can throw out when it comes to our run game in the past ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, TWENTY FUCKING YEARS. I'm honestly just sick of watching our lines not understand how to run block year after year after year. I'll say that drafting RBs without great vision ala Jeremy Hill isn't the best idea when you don't have a great run blocking line, but still, just look at what GOOD lines have done for decent backs in the past around the league. Do we have a single mauler on the current roster? I know a lot of folks are projecting Andre to be at RG, but that's up in the air right now as there are just as many reasons he could struggle inside as there are of his potential success. Boling can pull like a mother fucker, buuuttt that's where my high praise ends for our big boys up front in this regard. We ranked 26th (!!!!!!!!) in getting our RBs to the second level last year, and that's with 2 highly rated run blockers on our line that left in the offseason.

Mark it down, I promise that I'll just forget Paul Alexander's 20+ years of mediocre coaching and do nothing but praise him if our 2017 line produces quality run and pass blocking. There are so, so, so many signs that make it seem correct to have negative feelings about this year's line, I'll probably think that PA sold his soul if he can coach this band of misfits up so quickly and make something out of close to damn near nothing.

Archived