Team Grades around the web.....

2 hours ago, jhowdy54 said:

Damn Sportingnews.com was freaking hard on us. How can 2 sites say we had one of the best drafts and the other say we had the worst lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Anyone that lumps Burfict in with off the field issues lose all credibility. 

1 hour ago, whodey365 said:

You beat me to it. And they are chiming in on us not needing an RB. All of a sudden, they are all saying that our running backs were fine prior to the draft.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Kiper behind paywall - anyone know what he said/grade he gave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure. McShay said that we nailed it from 3 on. Ross was a reach and Mixon, blah blah blah.

13 minutes ago, Hooky said:

You beat me to it. And they are chiming in on us not needing an RB. All of a sudden, they are all saying that our running backs were fine prior to the draft.

None of these guys actually watch the games.  They see Hill scored a bunch of TDs and both were 2nd round picks and say damn they are stacked at back.

42 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

None of these guys actually watch the games.  They see Hill scored a bunch of TDs and both were 2nd round picks and say damn they are stacked at back.

LOL, Hill was ranked 32nd in yards per attempt last year.  Frank Gore at 33 yrs old had better stats. Gio wasnt any better both he and Hill at 3.8 per carry. 

Even a mid teens RB is getting an extra 1/2 yard per carry.

I am with you, I don't think half these guys watch anyone other than NE, GB, DAL, NYG, PIT and DEN. 

1 hour ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

As I said in another thread, I think they're trying to nake the point that MB is such an asshole, he'll draft a woman beater for no reason.

2 hours ago, whodey365 said:

Yesterday morning, a guy was so desperate to add to the thug list that he included Tank Johnson. What?!? I had to rewind it to make sure that's what he said.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

LOL, Hill was ranked 32nd in yards per attempt last year.  Frank Gore at 33 yrs old had better stats. Gio wasnt any better both he and Hill at 3.8 per carry. 

Even a mid teens RB is getting an extra 1/2 yard per carry.

I am with you, I don't think half these guys watch anyone other than NE, GB, DAL, NYG, PIT and DEN. 

Which speaks to a larger Oline problem, but that was not a problem we could really address with this weak draft.

I think it's fair to say the Bengals took risks in this year's draft and time will tell if it pans out.  Ross and Lawson both have injury concerns from college and will need to stay healthy.  Criticism of the Mixon pick seems to miss the mark.  Hill is a free agent after 2017 and will not be resigned.   Gio is coming off ACL surgery and will not be 100% for awhile.  Clearly Mixon will have a role as a rookie and he is going to have every chance to start in 2018. 

The Bengals balanced talent versus need pretty well overall.  Needs at pass rush, wide receiver, and kicker were adressed.  Team speed is improved with many of these picks.  O-line was weak in this draft and it was probably wise to steer clear,  IMO.  I also am factoring in WJ3 and Billings return from injury as additions to this year's class.  I expect a major impact from our new players.

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Which speaks to a larger Oline problem, but that was not a problem we could really address with this weak draft.

A lot of fans won't want to admit it but Gio isn't very good either.  Hasn't been since Hill took his job 2.5 years ago.  Rex ran behind that line and made it look good (albeit limited) but it was because he has actual vision. Gio has no vision he's just got solid skills to make people miss at times but that won't happen consistently as he isn't Barry Sanders.

Just now, TimKrumrieFan said:

A lot of fans won't want to admit it but Gio isn't very good either.  Hasn't been since Hill took his job 2.5 years ago.  Rex ran behind that line and made it look good (albeit limited) but it was because he has actual vision. Gio has no vision he's just got solid skills to make people miss at times but that won't happen consistently as he isn't Barry Sanders.

Both Gio and Jeremy have had productive seasons with good YPC. But sure.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Both Gio and Jeremy have had productive seasons with good YPC. But sure.

Yeah, Hill did when they played more i-formation and gave him a FB to follow and eliminating the need to rely on his vision.

Bernard has never been a lead back and his career high is just over 700 yards rushing. He got to be the speedier guy and used intermittently to take advantage of the defense. They also had more deadly WR corps in those years and it puts less guys in the box reducing the amount of vision needed to get into the open field. The OL was better than it was in 2016 but I haven't thought the OL has been good in quite some time.  LT was great, LG was solid, C was always terrible, RG was mostly good though early on Zeitler had some issues and he did miss 4 & 5 games in back to back years in 13 & 14 and his replacement wasn't good and Andre Smith was hit or miss and his replacements were not good. The OL "looked good" because Dalton and the designed attack got rid of the ball really fast so their sack numbers were low.

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't know if I buy that.  There were plenty of linemen drafted before we got around to taking one in the bottom of the 5th round.  I can accept that there wasn't a lot of first round talent but I seriously doubt all of those guys ahead of Dielman are trash.

10 hours ago, membengal said:

Kiper behind paywall - anyone know what he said/grade he gave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know exactly, but it has to be in the B's because I saw on the crawl the teams that he had that were A's & C's (lowest he had). We were in neither. 

Oh, & here's Walterfootball's:

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

EDIT: Found Kiper's:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mel-kipers-2017-nfl-draft-grades/story?id=47112467#WAS

24 minutes ago, SooneraBengal said:

Won't start a new thread for this, but Brugler's 5 teams who improved their roster the most:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-winners-five-teams-who-improved-their-rosters-the-most-during-draft/

For those who don't want to click

1. Cincinnati Bengals

Quarterback Andy Dalton was one of the biggest winners of this draft with the additions of Ross and Mixon with the Bengals' first two selections. Ross has the explosive speed to stretch the field, but also the polished routes to create for himself. Mixon hasn't taken a snap in the NFL, but it might not take long for him to be the second-best running back in the AFC North behind Le'Veon Bell, which also happens to be his closest NFL comparison.

Willis in the third round was excellent value and then Lawson was even better in the fourth, which is a round the Bengals have found success before with defensive linemen (Geno AtkinsAndrew BillingsDomata Peko). Dielman missed most of his senior season due to injury, but if he stays healthy, he could be the future starting center in Cincinnati. Evans is a good-sized athlete who can do a little bit of everything on the football field and was one of the most notable Combine snubs.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't know if I buy that.  There were plenty of linemen drafted before we got around to taking one in the bottom of the 5th round.  I can accept that there wasn't a lot of first round talent but I seriously doubt all of those guys ahead of Dielman are trash.

Problem imo is that the guys we targeted were gone when it was our pick. Like Im not sure Mixon would have been the pick if Lamp or Robinson were still on the board

22 hours ago, SooneraBengal said:

Won't start a new thread for this, but Brugler's 5 teams who improved their roster the most:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-winners-five-teams-who-improved-their-rosters-the-most-during-draft/

Not sure why the turds are getting an A everywhere. Well, I guess I do since their first two picks were from the hype machine. I know there are a lot of browns fans that hate those picks. The author was saying that they were already winners with just Garrett. Proves my hype theory.

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

Not sure why the turds are getting an A everywhere. Well, I guess I do since they're first two picks were from the hype machine. I know there are a lot of browns fans that hate those picks. The author was saying that they were already winners with just Garrett. Proves my hype theory.

Prisco gave them an F on twitter for the Peppers picked.  Guess he isn't a fan.  

5 hours ago, Hooky said:

Not sure why the turds are getting an A everywhere. Well, I guess I do since they're first two picks were from the hype machine. I know there are a lot of browns fans that hate those picks. The author was saying that they were already winners with just Garrett. Proves my hype theory.

This is the year they will turn the corner, they will be this year's sleeper team.  /sarcasm off.

Archived