Paul Doucherty is DEAD to me.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2017/04/29/doc-bengals-deserve-everything-they-get-mixon/101066120/

Doc: Bengals deserve everything they get with Mixon

Every so often in this business, we cling to the notion that character matters in professional sports. It keeps us from losing our minds.

There has to be a suggestion of nobility in our games. Something that uplifts and elevates. Something that makes us feel better for having been there. These players are “our guys.’’ These teams are a big stitch in our local fabric. Especially in smaller cities where options for civic sporting pride are limited. How many years has Cincinnati been defined, in part, by the Big Red Machine?

We like to think our sports teams represent who we are. It doesn’t matter how silly that sounds. It’s what we believe. These guys get paid to play games in Cincinnati, not be Cincinnatians. No matter. We want them to make us proud.

How do you feel about the Cincinnati Bengals today?

How did you feel when you saw Anthony Munoz at the podium Friday night, announcing Joe Mixon as a Cincinnati Bengal? I felt like crying.

Get on the Internet. Google “Joe Mixon punch.’’ Watch the clip. Ask yourself how you’ll feel cheering for this guy. Your guy.

When winning is all that matters, winning no longer matters.

The Bengals have forfeited any and all rights to the word “character’’ as a descriptive. They have lost all remaining sympathy from anyone who still believed Cincinnati’s miscreants were no different than any other team’s miscreants.

They have perpetuated an image and they have done it willingly. They have done it for a quarter century. At least. Mike Brown picked up Jess Phillips from prison in August 1968. Phillips had done time for check forgery. Mike drove him to training camp.

This isn’t a rant against Joe Mixon. His actions were despicable. That doesn’t make him despicable today. No one’s life should be defined by a heinous act at age 18. It’s about the Bengals. Your hometown football team.

We could list the conga line of second-chancers and probationers the Bengals have enabled over the decades. We could remind everyone that the Bengals have been a punch line for what they’ve done and who they’ve been. But you know that already.

In situations like this, a team needs to get at least half the equation right. It’s like a college football or basketball coach whose team lands in NCAA jail. If his team wins a championship by cheating, most fans would take the punishment. The Bengals haven’t won a championship.

My e-mail and Twitter exploded last night. Most writers expressed indignation. Some praised the pick. “Just win, baby,’’ one person typed. But this isn’t war. It’s not cancer. It’s football. Victory at any cost isn’t the objective. There has to be some connection greater than winning games.

We take our sports personally here. When Baseball went on strike in 1994, some of us never came back to the game. Baseball was doing this to us, and our guys were complicit. Not surprisingly, our favorite Bengals have been good people, too. Or at least that was our perception. Ken Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Reggie Williams. Dave Lapham. Boomer and Sam and so on. And Anthony Munoz, bigger than life, in all ways. These were good players who stood for something larger than winning football games.

We didn’t just embrace their football triumphs, because their teams didn’t have many of those. We embraced them as people. Especially if they stayed here after their careers were over. They were who we liked to think we were.

Think of the Big Red Machine. What’s the image? Accomplished, modest, responsible, professional, diligent. Us.

Who are the Cincinnati Bengals today?

What sort of connection do you feel with them?

Who knows the Bengals actual thinking when it came to drafting Joe Mixon. Who knows where coaches and front-office types stood. Mike Brown doesn’t like being told he can’t or shouldn’t do something. He enjoys doing the opposite. Marvin Lewis said, “I don’t know who isn't disgusted with what they saw’’ on the restaurant video. But he made the pick, anyway.

“That's one day in a young man's life, and he's had to live that since then and he will continue to have to live that,’’ Lewis said. “He gets an opportunity to move forward and write his script from then on."

As he should. It just shouldn’t have been here.

(And by the way, the woman’s name is Amelia. Amelia Molitor. No one mentioned her Friday night. Her life matters, too. Her future counts.)

On his conference call to the media, Mixon said the punch that broke four bones in Amelia Molitor’s face and sent her to the hospital, “changed me a lot as a person, the way you think, the way you carry yourself, go about things.’’

Then last November, he tore up a parking ticket, threw it in attendant’s face and according to the complaint, "inched (his vehicle) at the officer. . . to intimidate the officer.’’

The Bengals own Joe Mixon now. They deserve everything they get.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

(And by the way, the woman’s name is Amelia. Amelia Molitor. No one mentioned her Friday night. Her life matters, too. Her future counts.)

hqdefault.jpg

:boese045: And by the way Paulie ... she was illegally drunk (underage), hurling racial slurs, blew smoke in his face, pushed him first, slapped him first, and had warrants out for her arrest. Above is one of her multiple mug shots. So maybe we shouldn't really focus on her, and just be happy that Mixon has owned up to what he did wrong -- which yes was wrong.

Doc has hated the Bengals since the day he first began writing about them. He has never not hated the Bengals. He has Brown Derangement Syndrome. This article is a more hyperbolic example than most past ones, but the content is routine.

1 hour ago, saphead said:

You can add Ken Broo to the local media douche list. Fucking guy needs would rather be a fucking FM disc jockey anyways. 

how is he still alive? was he ill? he looked like near death 10 years ago when i saw him at camp in kentucky...

It does not matter who we pick.  If we picked all of the white practicing Mormon players from BYU, the douche bags in the press would still bring up Odell and Henry from 10 years ago.

I am to the point that the more perceived thugs on the team the better.  At least the press might actually pay attention ala The Raiders.

2 hours ago, saphead said:

You can add Ken Broo to the local media douche list. Fucking guy needs would rather be a fucking FM disc jockey anyways. 

Yup. Was biking on Saturday and thought I would listen to sports talk to follow Bengals talk and the Saturday picks and Broo was on instead stirring the pot on Mixon pick. So I turned it off. 

All this shit is still there until we make a Championship Game at least, with the majority key players in a run like that,  Mixon in the conversation for OROY because despite the off-field stuff,  production translates in all languages, and Ross looks like the next coming of Antonio Brown...

A Superbowl appearance would shut up a good chunk of them,  a Superbowl win would shut everyone else up forever because then we can figurately show them the ring.

And if Doc was to bitch on the Bengals so damn much, he should move to Cleveland.

Doc: Bengals deserve everything they get with Mixon

What i quoted above is all I read.

Hopefully what they get is a Rookie of the Year.

Multiple rushing titles. Multiple Super Bowl rings.

And a Hall of Famer.

I have a feeling he never said any of that though ...

• 2 weeks later...

"Not surprisingly, our favorite Bengals have been good people, too. Or at least that was our perception. Ken Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Reggie Williams. Dave Lapham. Boomer and Sam and so on. And Anthony Munoz, bigger than life, in all ways. These were good players who stood for something larger than winning football games."

Isaac Curtis cheated to get into the University of California.  He transferred to San Diego State, but Cal was placed on probation and had a NCAA track Championship taken away because of Curtis's participation.  He was on the same Bengal teams with Lemar Parrish who was arrested for trafficking cocaine and Coy Bacon who was shot in a confrontation over drugs.

Justin Smith.........DUI

Eric Steinbach......DUI

Leon Hall.............DUI

Jonathan Joseph..Drug possession

Carlos Dunlap......DUI

AJ Green............Suspended in college for selling his jersey.

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Isaac Curtis cheated to get into the University of California.  He transferred to San Diego State, but Cal was placed on probation and had a NCAA track Championship taken away because of Curtis's participation.  He was on the same Bengal teams with Lemar Parrish who was arrested for trafficking cocaine and Coy Bacon who was shot in a confrontation over drugs.

Justin Smith.........DUI

Eric Steinbach......DUI

Leon Hall.............DUI

Jonathan Joseph..Drug possession

AJ Green............Suspended in college for selling his jersey.

Kenny Anderson once called his 7th grade English teacher and asked her if her refrigerator was running and Anthony Munoz launched an air biscuit in church and blamed it on the little girl in the pew in front of him.

Glad you are so perfect that you can point your finger at others.

50 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Kenny Anderson once called his 7th grade English teacher and asked her if her refrigerator was running and Anthony Munoz launched an air biscuit in church and blamed it on the little girl in the pew in front of him.

Glad you are so perfect that you can point your finger at others.

You can throw a rock in a pool of NFL players and easily hit a couple guys with an arrest or two.

If I know Freddy well enough, my guess is that he wanted to show how some people pick and choose when to care about our big name players doing shitty things or simply to disprove the quote that "our favorite Bengals" were all free of issues. 

i don't care what anyone says negative about Mixon....I will cheer for him as I would any Bengal player....I think he could get Rookie of the yr.....stiffest competitor could be Ross....

I hope both these young stars play early & often.....we have to get our offense on track right away....Dalton has to stay clean...O-line has to figure it out in preseason..

if the offense plays well the Mixon haters will in time get on the bandwagon....if not so be it...i'm not going to wait for them....

53 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

You can throw a rock in a pool of NFL players and easily hit a couple guys with an arrest or two.

If I know Freddy well enough, my guess is that he wanted to show how some people pick and choose when to care about our big name players doing shitty things or simply to disprove the quote that "our favorite Bengals" were all free of issues. 

Only I didn't say it.  Doc did.  Don't put my name on it.  I simply cut and pasted the article.

13 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Only I didn't say it.  Doc did.  Don't put my name on it.  I simply cut and pasted the article.

I gotcha. I was just pointing out that I don't believe Fred was "pointing fingers" as much as showing that there was a major flaw in that quote. 

You kinda jumped on him for pointing fingers as you said, I was just trying to clarify. 

7 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I gotcha. I was just pointing out that I don't believe Fred was "pointing fingers" as much as showing that there was a major flaw in that quote. 

You kinda jumped on him for pointing fingers as you said, I was just trying to clarify. 

Any negativity that came across was not aimed at you at all.  Personally, I am very OK with you and the input.

I feel for you being forced to live anywhere near Piggsturd and their troglodyte fans.

Take care and let's be safe out there. 😎

Archived