Did the Bengals reach in the 2017 draft?

31 minutes ago, happyrid said:

It doesn't really matter what guys were ranked by the media pre-draft.

Exactly. The media is guessing what value NFL teams have placed on these guys, not the NFL's job to put any faith at all in what Mel Kiper says.

Raise your hand if you've ever had to hire someone.

You get 30 resumes, some of which look great. You might even go into the interviews thinking you have a front-runner. And then the interviews happen and you wind up hiring a guy who didn't look as great on paper, but was the right fit for your org.

What Mel Kiper, Rob Rang, and the fans do is grade prospects based on their resume. Then, they go the extra level and try to figure out what team is going to pick who based on what they perceive as "team needs".

It would be as silly as someone telling me that I shouldn't have hired Ryan because Paula had a much better resume, and that I should have hired tech help instead of marketing.

"Mock Drafts" are journalists trying to predict what teams will do. It is not a definitive guide to player value. If you're really debating the Gals taking Ross 5-10 spots before Kiper thought he should go... Child, please.

With their first 5 picks Bengals got 5 guys who could be big contributors in 2017.  For that reason alone they did not reach on any of them.

Whether you get Ross at 9 or 20, he was the guy the Bengals had targeted and weren't getting another shot at him in the 2nd round.  Take who you want when you can and let everything else sort itself out.  Just so happened that guys just kept falling in the Bengals lap after the Ross pick which makes it look even better.

57 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

"Mock Drafts" are journalists trying to predict what teams will do. It is not a definitive guide to player value. If you're really debating the Gals taking Ross 5-10 spots before Kiper thought he should go... Child, please.

Yeah that's why I don't see the need to make it a big, heated debate or anything, but questioning someone's logic and acting like there's a factual "correct" stance is....illogical.

There are arguments on each side of the "reach" debate, but it's all subjective and opinion based for the most part. Claiming that Malik Hooker is the definitive #15 prospect in the NFL draft because he was chosen #15 overall is much more illogical than saying that John Ross may have been a reach at #9.

There's a good chance that a guy passed over 5 times by all 32 NFL teams ends up having a better NFL career than Myles Garrett, a guy that Kiper AND NFL teams obviously had ranked at the top of their boards.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, T-Dub said:

I suspect that was a reach, I don't like drafting an injured player in the top 10.

I don't believe them.  I'd bet 32 of 32 teams were ready to draft him at some point.  Doubt he makes it out of the 3rd round, at worst early 4 on Saturday when most fans have tuned out.  We got him first, so it's easy PR for other teams to climb on the grandstand with the rest of the ESPNFL & wag their fingers. 

9892408_the-shame-nun-from-game-of-thron

The scouts say Elliot has better hang-time on KO and better overall mechanics.  Gonzalez was practically kicking in a dome at Sun Devil.   Maybe he could've been had with the comp pick later but they finally drafted OL there.  I can't get that worked up over 5th-round picks anyway.

I was shocked they didn't pick Gonzales....I think it was a big mistake....

now the Browns will be kicking 50+ yard field goals as we punt from the 40 yard line....

4 hours ago, pucksinwah said:

I was shocked they didn't pick Gonzales....I think it was a big mistake....

now the Browns will be kicking 50+ yard field goals as we punt from the 40 yard line....

Elliot was more accurate from 50+ than Gonzalez.  He also had more bad weather kicks.

Archived