53 man roster talk

QB - Dalton, McCarron

RB - Hill, Mixon (R), Peerman

FB - Hewitt

WR - Green, LaFell, Boyd, Ross (R), Core, Erickson, Malone (R)

TE - Eifert, Uzomah, Kroft

LT - Ogbuehi

LG - Boling, Johnson

C - Bodine, Dielman (R)

RG - Smith, Westerman

RT - Fisher, Winston

DE - Dunlap, Johnson, Clarke, Willis (R), Smith

DT - Atkins, Billings, Glasgow (R), Hardison

WLB - Burfict, Evans (R)

MLB - Minter, Rey

SLB - Vigil, Lawson (R)

CB - Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Shaw, Dennard, Benwikere

FS - Williams, Smith, Williams (R)

SS - Iloka, Fejedelem

K - Elliot

P - Huber

LS - Harris

PUP - Bernard

Suspended - Jones

Biggest question to me looking at the roster is who the F plays LT if Ced continues to suck or gets hurt? Fisher I guess with Winston playing RT? 

7 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I'm not sure why you think Jones is going to be suspended, and if he i think it's 1-2 games at most.

I think Williams or Willis will be PS guys.

If we put Willis on the PS can't another team grab him if they make him active?

9 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I'm not sure why you think Jones is going to be suspended, and if he i think it's 1-2 games at most.

I think Williams or Willis will be PS guys.

Thought I heard he gets 8 games. He's a multiple multiple time offender and part of the incident is on video.

Willis is a 3rd round pick I'd be shocked if he went on the practice squad. Williams I could see.

On 31 other teams, I would think Pac, Michael Johnson, and Hill, would be prime candidates to be cut from this roster.  But this organization, I'm assuming all 3 of them not only make the team, but take snaps that they probably should not be taking.

1 hour ago, akiliMVP said:

QB - Dalton, McCarron

FB - Hewitt

WR - Green, LaFell, Boyd, Ross (R), Core, Erickson, Malone (R)

LT - Ogbuehi

LG - Boling, Johnson

C - Bodine, Dielman (R)

RG - Smith, Westerman

RT - Fisher, Winston

DE - Dunlap, Johnson, Clarke, Willis (R), Smith

DT - Atkins, Billings, Glasgow (R), Hardison

WLB - Burfict, Evans (R)

MLB - Minter, Rey

SLB - Vigil, Lawson (R)

SS - Iloka, Fejedelem

K - Elliot

P - Huber

LS - Harris

PUP - Bernard

Suspended - Jones

Biggest question to me looking at the roster is who the F plays LT if Ced continues to suck or gets hurt? Fisher I guess with Winston playing RT? 

Overall, I agree with the majority of the picks but I think's going to be UDFA or late season addition that makes the roster similar to Erickson in 2016.

As for your question, this is something I've been asking all off season and wondering why the Bengals didn't do more to address this very real and important question. Also it confirms my belief that there is a profound level of delusion and ineptitude in the coaching staff and front office that is either going to pay off with spectacular results or blow up in their face. They have ignored one of the most important positions on the team, LT, and given the starting role to a player that didn't earn it based on his performance but his draft position...and that NEVER ends well for anyone. 

The Bengals were in a position to draft whatever offensive lineman they wanted this year but didn't draft one until the 5th round, when the best of a sub par class was long gone. They could have taken a quality OT or OG at 41 or 48 but chose a guy that only 4 teams were even considering, much early than most expected. Imo, what is the point of drafting at WR and RB if you don't have anyone that can protect the QB long enough to get them ball or open up running lanes for them to run through?

My only hope is that they can sign a veteran that is cut in a few months prior to or during TC that can provide some competition and depth at the LT position. Outside of that I think the Bengals are seriously deluding themselves by not getting a capable replacement on the roster in case Ced sucks or gets hurt, which is something that he has done since he was drafted in 2015. 

2 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

I think Bolings gets some LT reps in preseason. They have had him take snaps there before.

3 hours ago, rcarpenter62 said:

On 31 other teams, I would think Pac, Michael Johnson, and Hill, would be prime candidates to be cut from this roster.  But this organization, I'm assuming all 3 of them not only make the team, but take snaps that they probably should not be taking.

This always happens at this point after the Draft: cut this guy/cut that guy. The present roster consists of proven NFL players...the new toys are speculative at best. And, on cue, after the first few games of the season, many of the new toys will be yesterday's news and the fans will be waiting for the next product line.  

QB - Dalton, McCarron

FB - Hewitt

WR - Green, LaFell, Boyd, Ross (R), Malone (R), Erickson (or) Core

LT - Ogbuehi, (OT TBD)

LG - Boling, Johnson

C - Bodine, Dielman (R)

RG - Smith, Westerman

RT - Fisher, Winston

DE - Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke, Willis (R), Johnson (or) Smith

DT - Atkins, Billings, Sims, Hardison

WLB - Burfict, Evans (R)

MLB - Minter, Rey

SLB - Vigil, Lawson (R)

SS - Iloka, Fejedelem

K - Elliot

P - Huber

LS - Harris

PUP - Bernard

Suspended - Jones

On 5/2/2017 at 1:30 PM, Le Tigre said:

This always happens at this point after the Draft: cut this guy/cut that guy. The present roster consists of proven NFL players...the new toys are speculative at best. And, on cue, after the first few games of the season, many of the new toys will be yesterday's news and the fans will be waiting for the next product line.  

On the flip side, you don't scout all of these young prospects and then draft them just to cut them, right? Many of the old toys are yesterday's news as well, you just have to decide which new toys are actually capable of replacing the old toys.

Cutting Jones, Hill, and MJ like the other guy said makes very little sense to me at this point though. I was on board to cut Adam Jones at the beginning of free agency but that was only to re-sign Dre Kirkpatrick and also pick up a $4-$8M per year CB to start across from him, but there aren't any starting caliber CBs out there so there's no need to cut Jones. Hill is playing for like $1.2M this year, there's nooooooo reason at all to cut him, that would be the most stupid move the team could make at this point. He has something like the #43 RB cap hit in 2017, you don't cut a guy that can play making that amount. Just let him walk after this season, don't cut him. MJ could be replaced after this year but he's fine in the rotation for another season, he can handle a lot of snaps if we need him and he's an OK to good RDE.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

On the flip side, you don't scout all of these young prospects and then draft them just to cut them, right? Many of the old toys are yesterday's news as well, you just have to decide which new toys are actually capable of replacing the old toys.

Cutting Jones, Hill, and MJ like the other guy said makes very little sense to me at this point though. I was on board to cut Adam Jones at the beginning of free agency but that was only to re-sign Dre Kirkpatrick and also pick up a $4-$8M per year CB to start across from him, but there aren't any starting caliber CBs out there so there's no need to cut Jones. Hill is playing for like $1.2M this year, there's nooooooo reason at all to cut him, that would be the most stupid move the team could make at this point. He has something like the #43 RB cap hit in 2017, you don't cut a guy that can play making that amount. Just let him walk after this season, don't cut him. MJ could be replaced after this year but he's fine in the rotation for another season, he can handle a lot of snaps if we need him and he's an OK to good RDE.

Not to mention cutting Johnson save's us like $500K, good luck finding that caliber of a DE for $500K, we won't. I get demoting him to a part time roll, but cutting him is idiotic.

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

Not to mention cutting Johnson save's us like $500K, good luck finding that caliber of a DE for $500K, we won't. I get demoting him to a part time roll, but cutting him is idiotic.

Cutting MJ93 would save us more like $2.85M (sources: Overthecap, Spotrac), but yeah I still don't think he should be cut until possibly next year IF one of the 2017 rookies emerge as a legit 2+ down RDE.

Cutting any of the 3 guys mentioned earlier doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Yes, we need roster spots for some of the rookies, but we can replace some of the 2014-2016 draft picks that have been sitting at the bottom of our roster that haven't developed as we've hoped instead of cutting guys that are legitimate starting caliber players. Hill, Jones, and Johnson may not be the best at their respective positions, but they're more important to the 53 man roster than some of our young guys that haven't panned out whatsoever.

I don't get how anyone can feel good about Oggieboogie starting the year at left tackle. He was garbage last year,  n now gets moved to the left side. Where he will be alone against a speed rusher without TE help.  Fuk   what are they thinking   .  If he doesn't get hurt, I'm sure he will suck.   We need to trade for Someone. 

Something I just noticed about the 53 man roster suggested by OP, I don't see the team rolling with 7 WRs. I think Core will be gone or (possibly and) Malone to the PS if he doesn't impress the team enough. This is barring any injuries of course and assuming John Ross is ready to go.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that 53 -Core/+6th CB or 10th DL

13 minutes ago, membengal said:

No way Malone clears waivers to make the practice squad. No chance. He makes the roster, they are not going to want to have wasted a 4th round pick on him and not have him on the team. 

I agree that it's not likely, but being a 4th round pick doesn't automatically guarantee you a roster spot. That's why I added the caveat that IF the Bengals aren't impressed with him, he could be a candidate to be put on the PS if they don't mind taking the risk of him being plucked. There's very little chance of it happening, but IMO there's a higher percentage for that to happen than for Core & Erickson to both get cut. I guess what I should have said is if they want to roll with 5 WRs, Malone would be on the chopping block sooner than Erickson. Buuuttt, I think they'll roll with 6 so I guess it's really not worth arguing over.

I think the most likely scenario at WR is Green, LaFell, Boyd, Ross, Malone, Erickson. Core is the odd man out assuming Ross is on track.

One note regarding the practice squad: the players that don't make the initial roster can sign to be on ANY team's practice squad (assuming they're offered). They are not required to sign with the Bengals.  

Archived