The Bengals vs. the NFL

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

No, you are the dude living in a bunker who thinks Hill fumbled on purpose by order of the league.

In order to buy into your nonsense, our players and owner are involved as well so why even come here?

The game was won until we choked, get over it.  Marvin chokes against Shitsburgh all the time, why are you surprised?

You really have descended into the Theatre of the Absurd. And then you toss out another non sequitur--something about "fumbling on purpose"? Good grief. 

If if you want to carry Stealer water, you and your cheerleaders can. You tell me not to be here--but just who has taken to Pom-Pom wave for those bastards year in and year out? Two choices, and one is not I. 

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You really have descended into the Theatre of the Absurd. And then you toss out another non sequitur--something about "fumbling on purpose"? Good grief. 

If if you want to carry Stealer water, you and your cheerleaders can. You tell me not to be here--but just who has taken to Pom-Pom wave for those bastards year in and year out? Two choices, and one is not I. 

Dude, you are the one wearing the tin foil hat, not me.  If there really was a conspiracy out there, the Cowboys and Raiders would have a few extra rings by now and Seattle would still be looking for a Superbowl ring.

Your whole premise begins with the assumption the referees are prefect and your team doesn't commit penalties often.  Both are absurd.  Furthermore, different crews call games tighter or looser.  Good coaching staffs game plan accordingly, ours most likely does not.

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Wasting your time, man.  The Stooler coach got away with pulling someone's hair like a bitch because Hill fumbled. QED.

Unfortunately, you are correct. Getting a point across here, is like speaking Greek to a Russian--nobody either understands at all, or is just stone deaf. If some want to believe this is a game as pure as the driven snow, or that those bastards are just so damn good they never have needed any outside assistance, then whatever. 

I don't think everything is 100% above board and that officials call 100% unbiased games 100% of the time. I also don't believe that the NFL is run by the mob that affects every single score of every single game and wants the Patriots and Stealers to win everything all the time.

Some stuff seems reaaaaalll shady, see the Seahawks vs Stealers SB game for example. That doesn't mean that the entire NFL is just a giant rigged mess though. I don't think it's completely insane to hold the opinion that NFL officiating crews are mostly inconsistent and make bad calls for the simple fact that they're inconsistent and don't get everything 100% correct because they're human. People are acting like that's some crazy, head in the sand, extremist stance to take, so whatever.

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

All of you have left out one major factor that makes a huge impact on these topics.  Incompetence.  

Nah.  Incompetence doesn't follow a predictable pattern or choose sides.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Nah.  Incompetence doesn't follow a predictable pattern or choose sides.  

If you'd want to say that there is some anti-player bias, I'd totally agree with you on that side of things.

Guys like Burfict have to watch what they do because they're going to get called for some things that other guys may get away with. I know that nobody on here wants to hear it because he plays for the Stealers and it would go against the whole "omg the NFL favors them!!!" ordeal, but James Harrison had a point in his career where he couldn't get near a QB without seeing a flag thrown. The guy could make some completely legitimate hits and he'd get called for a PF due to his reputation of some questionable and flat out dirty hits earlier in his career.

I do think that officiating crews can be very biased for or against certain players and there have been noticeable patterns around the league of that.

3 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Hold on now, the Stealers are actually being defended, along with the refs who favour them?

I'll just leave this here (remember, this is from one game):

http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/watch-remember-how-many-times-Stealers-15117710/

No, that just shows the marked superiority of Stealer linemen and coaches. That technique is breathtaking. Poor calls/non-calls? Nah.

"That was a (series of) great non-calls by the officials. There is no holding--see right there he just does a great job of re-directing the rush. Let's get the view of Mike Periera in the booth...Mike"

---Cris 

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Ah yes, James HGHarrison.  Fined around $250k or more over the last few years for illegal hits.  Publicly flaunted the "player safety" rules and insulted Goodell personally.

Suspended for one game in 2011.

Yep he's been fined a shitload and flagged quite a bit too. I'm not saying that none of them were warranted, just that I do believe officiating crews can easily gain a bias against certain players they deem more "dirty" than others and throw some unnecessary penalties on guys like Harrison and Burfict. Neither of those players are going to get the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases, and they aren't the only 2 guys like that around the league but they're good examples within the AFCN specifically.

If he should have been suspended more is another conversation (that I'm guessing we agree on), but my post was just about player bias coming from officiating crews.

ITT:

A handful of non-calls in a game = undeniable proof of preferential treatment for a specific team.

I mean, most of those calls were bullshit, but this is just getting silly. I bet I could find a game where the Bengals held the opposition 5+ times without getting flagged in a single game. Hell, I could probably find at least 1 game like that per season. Holding happens a LOT in the NFL, and it goes uncalled a LOT. Are the Bengals getting preferential treatment or is that just HARD NOSED BENGALS FOOTBAW when we get away with shit? :huh:

If holding was never called, it would be totally more consistent than the present NFL disaster. For example: the game-changing holding call against KC versus the Bastards (surprise, surprise) in the Playoff game this year. Of course it was a hold, by definition--but it is always WHERE it is applied that is the suspicion. Again, would be better if there were no penalty for it at all--as the way it is now is subjective at best, and highly suspicious at worst. 

4 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

ITT:

A handful of non-calls in a game = undeniable proof of preferential treatment for a specific team.

I mean, most of those calls were bullshit, but this is just getting silly. I bet I could find a game where the Bengals held the opposition 5+ times without getting flagged in a single game. Hell, I could probably find at least 1 game like that per season. Holding happens a LOT in the NFL, and it goes uncalled a LOT. Are the Bengals getting preferential treatment or is that just HARD NOSED BENGALS FOOTBAW when we get away with shit? :huh:

Of course you could. Anything can be done to confirm bias. Either way, poor wittle bengals, everyone hates them. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

If holding was never called, it would be totally more consistent than the present NFL disaster. For example: the game-changing holding call against KC versus the Bastards (surprise, surprise) in the Playoff game this year. Of course it was a hold, by definition--but it is always WHERE it is applied that is the suspicion. Again, would be better if there were no penalty for it at all--as the way it is now is subjective at best, and highly suspicious at worst. 

If I'm reading the site correctly (and it's accurate), Offensive Holding calls are up, being called about 100 more times a season over the last 2 years than in the 3-4 previous. 

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?year=2016

Like any foul, when they are being called may be more important, but that's more research than I'm willing to dive into right now.  I would agree, subjectively from my own observation, that it's not being called in any consistent manner.  It's one of those penalties that they can call any time and I've definitely seen some phantom ones on scoring plays or as what appear to be make-up calls for missing something blatant that gets pointed out during the broadcast.  

Of course, pointing out bad calls during games is pretty rare these days since the NFL hired on-call shills (better known as VP of Officiating or whatever) to explain away even the most bullshit of bullshittery.

At any rate, I reject the idea that NFL refs are simply that terrible at their jobs.  If that's the case, why haven't they implemented any tech solution to take out some of the guesswork?  Microchipping the balls and some sensors under the turf hardly seem a far-fetched idea in this day and age.  I suspect the ambiguity is left there by design, and there's no legitimate reason for that.  Plenty of illegitimate ones, however. 

Well this has been an entertaining thread. I for one do not for a moment think that there isn't some sort of malfeasance on the part of professional sports with relation to bookies, gambling, organized crime, etc. There have way too many examples of "fixing" across all of professional sports that to discard the notion out of hand seems ludicrous to me.

As to whether the Bengals are being "targeted"....well, hard to say for sure. When you look through orange tinted glasses it certainly seems like we get fucked sometimes, especially when we play the Stealers. The league targets Vontaze Burfict, for sure. Whether we painted a target on ourselves drafting Mixon remains to be seen. I'm sure we'll see various women's groups protesting outside the stadium for a little while.

It is telling that fans of other teams feel the same way though.

FWIW I don't think it's only the Bengals getting the stinky end of the stick.  In fact, watching other games between small-market teams & teamslikethePatriots where I really didn't care who won helped convince me there was a narrative being pushed from on high.   I do think Goodell has made us his scapegoat for any NFL-wide problem he can, pretty much since day one, and it amazes me that any Bengals fan could look at how our guys get disciplined vs. players from the money teams & not think he's a shit-toothed greasy little floater that would pimp his own grandmother for a headline.

On 5/6/2017 at 7:18 PM, T-Dub said:

FWIW I don't think it's only the Bengals getting the stinky end of the stick.  In fact, watching other games between small-market teams & teamslikethePatriots where I really didn't care who won helped convince me there was a narrative being pushed from on high.   I do think Goodell has made us his scapegoat for any NFL-wide problem he can, pretty much since day one, and it amazes me that any Bengals fan could look at how our guys get disciplined vs. players from the money teams & not think he's a shit-toothed greasy little floater that would pimp his own grandmother for a headline.

Lol what?

James Harrison got suspended for tackling a QB too hard. Roethlisberger and Brady both got suspended for things they weren't even proven to be guilty of. Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant were both suspended multiple times for smoking weed. OBJ was suspended for hitting Josh Norman illegally.

But yeah, Goddell hates the fucking Bengals because a guy with 15 career unnecessary roughness penalties finally gets suspended after nut tagging a guy, twisting an ankle, kneeing a QB in the shoulder on the ground, and then illegally striking a defenseless WR in the helmet.

Dashon Goldson was suspended 1 game in 2013 for repeated violations of player safety on the field because of his 6 combined personal foul/unnecessary roughness penalties.

Vontaze Burfict was suspended 0 games in 2013 despite having 8 total, 2 more than Goldson.

But the NFL hates Burfict for no reason and disciplines him unfairly.

Archived