The Bengals vs. the NFL

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Lol what?

James Harrison got suspended for tackling a QB too hard. Roethlisberger and Brady both got suspended for things they weren't even proven to be guilty of. Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant were both suspended multiple times for smoking weed. OBJ was suspended for hitting Josh Norman illegally.

But yeah, Goddell hates the fucking Bengals because a guy with 15 career unnecessary roughness penalties finally gets suspended after nut tagging a guy, twisting an ankle, kneeing a QB in the shoulder on the ground, and then illegally striking a defenseless WR in the helmet.

Not that you aren't making a good point, but, yeah, you can leave now.

24 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Not that you aren't making a good point, but, yeah, you can leave now.

No thanks.

If the same people can cry about how our players are disciplined unfairly dozens of times, I will surely respond to them dozens of times to make sure they realize how wrong they are. I'd expect people to correct me if I ran around telling everyone that 2+2=5 in every thread that I could.

12 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

No thanks.

If the same people can cry about how our players are disciplined unfairly dozens of times, I will surely respond to them dozens of times to make sure they realize how wrong they are. I'd expect people to correct me if I ran around telling everyone that 2+2=5 in every thread that I could.

You do realize that you're not going to change anyone's mind - nor is anyone going to change yours. I'm not going to say you can't yell at clouds all you like, just asking why you would when it's pretty pointless.

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You do realize that you're not going to change anyone's mind - nor is anyone going to change yours. I'm not going to say you can't yell at clouds all you like, just asking why you would when it's pretty pointless.

Why? It's probably the same/similar reason as others.

I've seen you do the same in the past, why? I'd go as far as saying that 100% of people who are regular posters on message boards have done it. For me it's just the fact that I get annoyed when people repeat the same bullshit and others take it as a point of fact even when they're proven wrong. I figure that not every single poster has read every single one of my posts, so while it could be an "old" rebuttal for you to read, another guy may see my response for the 1st time and be interested in the content.

4 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Why? It's probably the same/similar reason as others.

I've seen you do the same in the past, why? I'd go as far as saying that 100% of people who are regular posters on message boards have done it. For me it's just the fact that I get annoyed when people repeat the same bullshit and others take it as a point of fact even when they're proven wrong. I figure that not every single poster has read every single one of my posts, so while it could be an "old" rebuttal for you to read, another guy may see my response for the 1st time and be interested in the content.

I just noticed your location. Are you a Bengals fan living in Pittsburgh?

15 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I just noticed your location. Are you a Bengals fan living in Pittsburgh?

I live 30-60 minutes north, but yep. I always use Pittsburgh as my location on message boards and whatnot since it's the closest large city that people have actually heard of.

Also not a "troll". I just happen to not agree with everything the Bengals do, I don't think there's an anti-Bengals bias by the league, and I have no issue giving credit where it's due to other teams in the league (even the Stealers and Patriots) which doesn't go over very well with some people.

Sports social media like these message boards is a lot like politics, it's extreme hyper-partisan bullshit. Lots of folks don't like seeing it any other way, but to each their own.

24 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I live 30-60 minutes north, but yep. I always use Pittsburgh as my location on message boards and whatnot since it's the closest large city that people have actually heard of.

Also not a "troll". I just happen to not agree with everything the Bengals do, I don't think there's an anti-Bengals bias by the league, and I have no issue giving credit where it's due to other teams in the league (even the Stealers and Patriots) which doesn't go over very well with some people.

Sports social media like these message boards is a lot like politics, it's extreme hyper-partisan bullshit. Lots of folks don't like seeing it any other way, but to each their own.

I've always found this phenomenon an interesting human bias trait. It applies to almost anything. I prefer Ford Mustangs but I give props to the Camaro for being a properly fast car too, etc, etc. I harbor extreme dislike for Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys but there's no denying they were a great team in the early-mid 1990's. Why do people have a problem giving credit where it is due, even if it's to an enemy?

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

I've always found this phenomenon an interesting human bias trait. It applies to almost anything. I prefer Ford Mustangs but I give props to the Camaro for being a properly fast car too, etc, etc. I harbor extreme dislike for Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys but there's no denying they were a great team in the early-mid 1990's. Why do people have a problem giving credit where it is due, even if it's to an enemy?

I totally agree. I loathe the Stealers, being in the middle of "Stiller country" is miserable. I've been insulted by complete strangers on numerous occasions just for wearing Bengals gear in a small town 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh, it's really crazy what sports fandom does to people. However, I still try to remain honest and realistic when evaluating Bengals v Stealers games or even Stealers v any team I don't give a shit about too. I obviously will root against Pittsburgh when they're playing ANY of the 31 other teams, but I'm not going to cry foul when it isn't warranted just because I'm not a fan of them.

I feel like people who are more moderate seem to be the minority on most topics, your car analogy included. Politics, sports, vehicles, basically anything that has multiple brands/sides to be on or anything to be a "fan" of. Instead of conceding points when a person makes a valid argument, I see most people either leave the thread all together or just ignore the points and make condescending remarks and insults instead of accepting that another person may have OK ideas too. I'm not 100% innocent of this myself, but I try to be pretty fair in debates.

You are correct: balance in areas of unimportant things such as football and car preferences, is not only good, but should be expected. In other matters (staying away from mentioning J&W subjects), things are not so malleable-and they should not be.

If the NFL is as crooked as a dog's hind leg, we can argue about it, and nothing of any consequence will hurt us either way. If we decide to "consider both sides" in whether it is appropriate to kill a human being for no cause, then "debate" is not legitimate. Many things are just simply right or wrong. 

14 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Fords suck. That is all.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:58 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Dashon Goldson was suspended 1 game in 2013 for repeated violations of player safety on the field because of his 6 combined personal foul/unnecessary roughness penalties.

Vontaze Burfict was suspended 0 games in 2013 despite having 8 total, 2 more than Goldson.

But the NFL hates Burfict for no reason and disciplines him unfairly.

I would give it up. You are speaking to the why isn't little johnny batting leadoff and playing shortstop crowd. 

On 5/9/2017 at 8:01 AM, Bunghole said:

This.

8 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Why are you replying to yourself?

The funny thing about that is that we actually found out a couple/few months ago that we're from the same small town outside of Pittsburgh.

Now I'm finding out that we're not only from the same town but we're the same person! This just keeps getting better. Plot twist!

16 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I can't believe this thread has reached 5 pages.

All I know is there are going to be some trying like hell to figure out how Goodell screwed us over when we do win a Superbowl.

Hey you better watch out if you're agreeing with me. There's no possible way that 2 people could share similar opinions without being an alt :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

All I know is there are going to be some trying like hell to figure out how Goodell screwed us over when we do win a Superbowl.

It wil be funny when you keep posting this periodically for the next few years.

6 minutes ago, Hooky said:

It wil be funny when you keep posting this periodically for the next few years.

Even funnier when we when and people start trying to fit their belief about this topic into how we were "allowed" to win.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/10/riveron-will-be-the-public-voice-and-face-of-officiating/

The NFL has filled Dean Blandino’s job with not one or two but three people. Beyond Alberto Riveron becoming the new senior V.P. of officiating and Russell Yurk being the chief of instant replay and administration, Wayne Mackie assumes control of the evaluation and development efforts. 

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

A rainy day in Phoenix doesn't make it any less of a desert.  How does eventually maybe winning this theoretical SB of yours prove Goodell doesn't target the Bengals?

Archived