Offseason and regular season questionnaire

Feel free to fill out your answers, share your opinions, and/or discuss what others have to say as well. "Nobody" is a valid answer for some of these. The questions are regarding the 2017 Bengals only unless specifically stated otherwise. My answers in bold.

Surprise cut - Cody Core. I feel like John Ross takes care of the speed Core was supposed to provide.

Surprise signing - None

Starts season on PUP - Giovani Bernard

Doesn't play a snap all season - Tyler Eifert

Most valuable player - Andy Dalton

Least valuable player - Cedric Ogbuehi, I predict he gets pulled from at least 1 game

Rookie of the year - Joe Mixon

Most improved player from 2016 (only guys who played on the team last year) - Jake Fisher

Total wins - 9

Total ties - 0

AFCN record - 3-3

Number of games Adam Jones suspended (by team or league) - 0

Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - Josh Shaw

Most underappreciated Bengal (by people here) - Dre Kirkpatrick

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

imho if Ced O struggles like he did last season we are going to be picking top 10 again. Most important position on the field.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable heading into the season if Hue was our OC. I think he could come up with a very good offensive scheme for a mediocre or worse line. I don't have that same faith in Zampese but for the Bengals' sake I hope I'm wrong.

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

I'd feel a lot more comfortable heading into the season if Hue was our OC. I think he could come up with a very good offensive scheme for a mediocre or worse line. I don't have that same faith in Zampese but for the Bengals' sake I hope I'm wrong.

They are going to have to give him help right away the Ravens with Suggs and then the Texans with Watt..... lot of chipping gonna need to happen.

Surprise cut - Adam Jones (fingers crossed)

Surprise signing - TBD, I believe the Bengals will pick up a veteran LT that will eventually end up starting before the season opener

Starts season on PUP - John Ross

Doesn't play a snap all season - Gio Bernard

Most valuable player - Geno Atkins

Least valuable player - Cedric Ogbuehi - Based on what he put on tape last year I have zero confidence in this guy and the fact that the coaching staff is GIVING him the starting LT job is a HUGE mistake, imo. He hasn't earned the starting job by his play, but because of his draft status they are giving him one of the most important starting positions on the team and don't have any real competition for him/better options on the roster. 

Rookie of the year - Joe Mixon

Most improved player from 2016 (only guys who played on the team last year) - Nick Vigil

Total wins - 10

Total ties - 0

AFCN record - 4-2

Number of games Adam Jones suspended (by team or league) - 4

Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - Andy Dalton

Most underappreciated Bengal (by people here) - Russell Bodine

I actually had Bodine in my underappreciated category and was about to hit submit until I realized at the last second that it would have probably been easier for me to perform brain surgery than it was for me to talk people into the idea that Dre Kirkpatrick isn't terrible anymore earlier this year. Kirkpatrick and Bodine started their NFL careers on some reaaaalllly low notes and it seems like some people hate the idea of players improving. Always have that bad taste lingering from their first couple years.

On 5/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, omgdrdoom said:

I actually had Bodine in my underappreciated category and was about to hit submit until I realized at the last second that it would have probably been easier for me to perform brain surgery than it was for me to talk people into the idea that Dre Kirkpatrick isn't terrible anymore earlier this year. Kirkpatrick and Bodine started their NFL careers on some reaaaalllly low notes and it seems like some people hate the idea of players improving. Always have that bad taste lingering from their first couple years.

It amazes me that you would say people hate the idea of players improving while continuing to suggest that Cedric won't.  I guess only the players you like have the improvement gene, huh?

9 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

It amazes me that you would say people hate the idea of players improving while continuing to suggest that Cedric won't.  I guess only the players you like have the improvement gene, huh?

No, only the players I believe will improve are players that I believe will improve. Ya know? Like, not every player in the NFL improves. I don't believe Og will become a good LT, in fact, I believe he'll remain a below average tackle at this level. I don't think his skillset translates to the NFL very well and I've explained detailed reasons why in various other threads. I'm assuming he'll be better in 2017 than 2016, but not by much. Feel free to disagree. I know it may sound crazy, but different people have different opinions sometimes. 

You completely missed my point about Bodine anyway. Some people are always going to think Bodine sucks just because he sucked before. Same with Dre Kirk. I don't think that's fair. However, if you told me in 2015 that you didn't think Bodine would improve in the future, that's a different story. I was clearly talking about people not wanting to acknowledge when a player DOES improve, I never ever ever ever insinuated that players can't and won't ever get better from year to year. I just personally don't believe Og is going to get much better, but if he does, I'll be the first in line giving him props. 

"people are know it all pricks when their views disagree with mine, but people who share my opinions don't think they know everything" - 75% of Go Bengals posters

"I troll every thread instead of adding to the discussion" - the usual suspects

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

"people are know it all pricks when their views disagree with mine, but people who share my opinions don't think they know everything" - 75% of Go Bengals posters

"I troll every thread instead of adding to the discussion" - the usual suspects

It is a target-rich environment, you have to admit. 75% of the threads are laced from the get-go with conclusion, judgment and execution. With that, just what is there to "discuss", which doesn't lead to making every subject like defending Khe Sahn? 

But, so that there is no more interference with the erstwhile "opinions" which populate these subjects, I plan to simply watch and read for the most part going forward.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

It is a target-rich environment, you have to admit. 75% of the threads are laced from the get-go with conclusion, judgment and execution. With that, just what is there to "discuss", which doesn't lead to making every subject like defending Khe Sahn? 

But, so that there is no more interference with the erstwhile "opinions" which populate these subjects, I plan to simply watch and read for the most part going forward.

I just wish people would choose other threads to ruin and not one that was created without any conclusion, judgment, or execution. A thread to promote football discussion for people who never seem to want to talk about football was far-fetched for this place at least.

Jamie gave an on-topic opinion, Pattern Master contributed a completed survey, and Kenneth tried to insult me and even though he made an illogical comparison, at least he created on-topic discussion. Take a look for yourself at who the first person was to derail. You could have simply added a football related opinion whether you agree with anyone that posted previously or not. Isn't that what this place is supposed to be about?

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I just wish people would choose other threads to ruin and not one that was created without any conclusion, judgment, or execution. A thread to promote football discussion for people who never seem to want to talk about football was far-fetched for this place at least.

Jamie gave an on-topic opinion, Pattern Master contributed a completed survey, and Kenneth tried to insult me and even though he made an illogical comparison, at least he created on-topic discussion. Take a look for yourself at who the first person was to derail. You could have simply added a football related opinion whether you agree with anyone that posted previously or not. Isn't that what this place is supposed to be about?

OK...last word (yeah, like that will happen):

For the record--in this thread anyway--your beginning content, and follow up, were pollster-ish, and perfectly appropriate. My Asimov quote was more aimed at your "completed survey" demagogue, whose well-bloviated insert into the "discussion" still was full of his usual "I know better than anyone" schlock. If there was a way to have him be in a closed room filmed with experienced NFL coaches, and match his peerless knowledge against their's, the resulting aftermath of his being chased out, would be priceless. 

Like I said, last word for me...

On 5/12/2017 at 3:33 PM, Le Tigre said:

OK...last word (yeah, like that will happen):

For the record--in this thread anyway--your beginning content, and follow up, were pollster-ish, and perfectly appropriate. My Asimov quote was more aimed at your "completed survey" demagogue, whose well-bloviated insert into the "discussion" still was full of his usual "I know better than anyone" schlock. If there was a way to have him be in a closed room filmed with experienced NFL coaches, and match his peerless knowledge against their's, the resulting aftermath of his being chased out, would be priceless. 

Like I said, last word for me...

My #1 fan, you know keep coming back to this site so you can read my post and try to insult me...your my troll and my post are your food. 

6 hours ago, schotzee said:

@PatternMasterwhat makes you say John Ross will be pup'd? Is there a current concern or just durability in question?

He's currently hurt and not cleared to practice. Plus when you add his injury history and the recent bengals first round picks that have been injured often; Eifert, Dennard, Ogbuehi, and Jackson have all missed significant time due to injury, I think the trend will continue. 

Ross is slightly built and I wonder how will he stand up to the physical nature of AFCN football that is played in this division. I understand the speed he brings but if he can't stay healthy then it won't really matter. 

I hope he gets and stays healthy, I truly do but if I had guess which player would be on the pup I would put my money on him. 

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He's currently hurt and not cleared to practice. Plus when you add his injury and the recent bengals first round picks that have been injured often; Eifert, Dennard, Ogbuehi, and Jackson have all missed significant time due to injury, I think the trend will continue. 

Ross is slightly and I wonder how will he stand up to the physical nature of AFCN football that is played in this division. I understand the speed he brings but he can't stay healthy then it won't really matter. 

I hope he gets and stays healthy, I truly do but if I had guess which player would be on the pup I would put my money on him. 

Gotcha. Did not know he was hurt currently. Thanks.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, Le Tigre said:

It's an internet chat board!  What the hell do you expect?  Do you go to Denny's and complain the steak is tough?

Surprise cut - Cody Core.
Surprise signing - vet LT
Starts season on PUP - John Ross
Doesn't play a snap all season - Joe Mixon - I still see something happening before the season even begins that gets him either cut or suspended/ sat for the year(I'm one of those giving him a chance but not confident until he further proves himself as a decent human being) so far he has had a couple good years, so let's see if he can keep it up while having money
Most valuable player - Andy Dalton
Least valuable player -  Michael Johnson
Rookie of the year - John Ross with only 8 games played
Most improved player from 2016 (only guys who played on the team last year) - Ced (and this is purely wishful thinking because of the importance of it)
Total wins - 9
Total ties - 0
AFCN record - 3-3
Number of games Adam Jones suspended (by team or league) - 0
Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - ?
Most underappreciated Bengal (by people here) - Andy Dalton

Before i post this i want to explain that i tried to copy someone else's and just fill in my own answers while erasing theirs. If this post posts weird because i missed something then my only intention was to do my own, and not quote/ partially quote anything from anybody else. I'm just not very forum savvy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

Gotcha. Did not know he was hurt currently. Thanks.

He is recovering from labrum surgery after the combine (he played with a torn labrum from the Stanford game).  All indications (from the team) are he will be cleared in time for training camp.

Archived