Offseason and regular season questionnaire

16 hours ago, Jason said:

He is recovering from labrum surgery after the combine (he played with a torn labrum from the Stanford game).  All indications (from the team) are he will be cleared in time for training camp.

Well we know how that story goes, when it comes to injuries and indications from the Bengals I don't believe much of anything that they say. They typical treat everyone outside of PBS like mushrooms in these situations, they keep us in the dark and feed us shit. 

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He's currently hurt and not cleared to practice. Plus when you add his injury history and the recent bengals first round picks that have been injured often; Eifert, Dennard, Ogbuehi, and Jackson have all missed significant time due to injury, I think the trend will continue. 

Ross is slightly built and I wonder how will he stand up to the physical nature of AFCN football that is played in this division. I understand the speed he brings but if he can't stay healthy then it won't really matter. 

I hope he gets and stays healthy, I truly do but if I had guess which player would be on the pup I would put my money on him. 

It doesn't matter that he's hurt, he wouldn't be able to work out right now, regardless.  UW doesn't graduate until Jun 10th. That's one of the reasons why he waited until after the combine to have the surgery, he wasn't going to be able to participate in OTA's anyway.  

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Well we know how that story goes, when it comes to injuries and indications from the Bengals I don't believe much of anything that they say. The typical treat everyone outside of PBS like mushrooms in these situations, they keep us in the dark and feed us shit. 

We shall see.

15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

It doesn't matter that he's hurt, he wouldn't be able to work out right now, regardless.  UW doesn't graduate until Jun 10th. That's one of the reasons why he waited until after the combine to have the surgery, he wasn't going to be able to participate in OTA's anyway.  

It definitely matters that he's hurt, even if his school had graduation he wouldn't be able to participate. 

The rehab time from a shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum is at least 6 months, being that he had the surgery on 3/14 that puts him at 9/14 for a comeback time. 

Patients who undergo arthroscopic repair can expect shorter recovery times and less pain. Those undergoing open surgery should expect more pain, longer recovery, and in some cases incomplete shoulder rotation.

Regardless of treatment type, almost all athletes are advised to wear a sling for the first four weeks post-surgery to protect the shoulder as it heals. Following surgery, athletes may require six months to one year for full recovery, with overhead throwing athletes taking the longest.

“If fixed properly, most athletes should be able to return to at least 80 percent of their pre-injury level of play,” says Dr. Fealy.

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_shoulder-labrum-tears-overview.asp

If he misses TC and the preseason he will probably start the season on the PUP and get brought back once his shoulder is strong enough to play. 

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

It definitely matters that he's hurt, even if his school had graduation he wouldn't be able to participate. 

The rehab time from a shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum is at least 6 months, being that he had the surgery on 3/14 that puts him at 9/14 for a comeback time. 

If he misses TC and the preseason he will probably start the season on the PUP and get brought back once his shoulder is strong enough to play. 

First, the average rehab time for a "Throwing athlete" is three to four months, I don't see why his would be longer, and second, it DOES MATTER that he had the surgery when he wasn't going to be able to participate anyway.  His school hasn't graduated, so even if he was 100% HEALTHY, HE COULDN'T PRACTICE.  He can, however, work out with the professional rehab team that the Bengals employ.

5 hours ago, kennethmw said:

First, the average rehab time for a "Throwing athlete" is three to four months, I don't see why his would be longer, and second, it DOES MATTER that he had the surgery when he wasn't going to be able to participate anyway.  His school hasn't graduated, so even if he was 100% HEALTHY, HE COULDN'T PRACTICE.  He can, however, work out with the professional rehab team that the Bengals employ.

THE LAST WORD

15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Can he work out with Dalton offsite between now and the beginning of training camp to get down their timing? No, because his shoulder is recovering from surgery, so obviously it matters? Can he work on improving his strength so he can beat press coverage, no because he's recovering from shoulder surgery.

Any logical person would be able to see that rehabbing from an injury puts a player behind schedule in terms of their development, it's the same line of thinking you use to defend Ced Ogbuehi. Players say it all the time, especially when they have a poor season, they talk about how they didn't get to workout in the offseason because they are injured...not sure why it applies to Ogbuehi but not Ross. 

If Ross is lucky he will be able to start strengthening his shoulder on by August, but I would be shocked if he is ready to play at the start of the preseason. The Bengals are normally very conservative when it comes to rehabbing players and will likely err on the side of caution and bring him along slowly because this type of injury can be easily re-aggravated if not treated properly.  

44 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

If Ross is lucky he will be able to start strengthening his shoulder on by August,

I bet he is already strengthening his shoulder.  No way he could be 100% recovered in just 6 months if he could nmot even start strengthening his shoulder until August.

I am not saying I am convinced Ross will be ready for opening game, but I think you are being a bit too negative.  Where did you get the info that says he will have to be lucky to start strengthening his shoulder in August?

Can he work out with Dalton offsite between now and the beginning of training camp to get down their timing? No, because his shoulder is recovering from surgery, so obviously it matters? Can he work on improving his strength so he can beat press coverage, no because he's recovering from shoulder surgery.

Any logical person would be able to see that rehabbing from an injury puts a player behind schedule in terms of their development, it's the same line of thinking you use to defend Ced Ogbuehi. Players say it all the time, especially when they have a poor season, they talk about how they didn't get to workout in the offseason because they are injured...not sure why it applies to Ogbuehi but not Ross. 

If Ross is lucky he will be able to start strengthening his shoulder on by August, but I would be shocked if he is ready to play at the start of the preseason. The Bengals are normally very conservative when it comes to rehabbing players and will likely err on the side of caution and bring him along slowly because this type of injury can be easily re-aggravated if not treated properly.  

Would he be allowed to do that anyway???

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

I bet he is already strengthening his shoulder.  No way he could be 100% recovered in just 6 months if he could nmot even start strengthening his shoulder until August.

I am not saying I am convinced Ross will be ready for opening game, but I think you are being a bit too negative.  Where did you get the info that says he will have to be lucky to start strengthening his shoulder in August?

This is from a MD

The recovery from labral tear surgery is long, and quite annoying. Most of you who are undergoing a labral repair or labrum reconstruction are having the cartilage tissue sewn back against the bone. Although we put anchors into the bone and utilize them to reattach your labrum you need to wait until the labral tear actually heals back to the bone – – – which takes a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks – – – before you can start to put any significant stress onto your shoulder. Surgery on the labrum generally involves a period of immobilization or the use of a sling. It may involve very light, gentle physical therapy if the surgeon finds that your shoulder might be getting stiff, however, you should not stress full range of motion of your shoulder, nor should you return to any overhead activities or weightlifting, until you have been given the go-ahead to do so by your surgeon. Many failures are the result of noncompliance (you not listening to your doctor :-)) — and not following the instructions of your surgeon, or therapy that has become too aggressive, too soon.

Even when you do follow your physician’s instructions,  and even if a repeat MRI shows that the labrum is healed, you may still have some residual symptoms (pain). Many times, that’s because there was probably something else that was bothering you shoulder – – – or simply the fact that restoration of “normal” function – – – following a labral repair, is frequently not possible.

http://www.howardluksmd.com/education/common-injuries/shoulder-labrum-labral-tears-is-surgery-necessary/

Being that the Bengals just invested millions of dollars in Ross I'm going to think they are going to take it very slowly and ease him back into the weightlifting and other football related activities slowly to ensure they don't re-injure his surgically repaired shoulder. Also when you consider how they handled the injuries of other players, not rushing them back but letting them take the time to ensure they are properly healed before clearing them for football duties, I assume they would do the same for Ross. 

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

Fortunately for us his career will not be defined by what happens in this off season.

I agree, I think it's wise to take it very slow and make sure he's able to properly recover and strengthen his body so he can stay healthy while performing at a high level. 

On 5/10/2017 at 11:09 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Surprise cut -Derron Smith

Surprise signing -Anthony Collins

Starts season on PUP -Giovani

Doesn't play a snap all season -Jeff Driskel

Most valuable player - Vontaze Burfict

Least valuable player - Trey Hopkins

Rookie of the year - MIxon

Most improved player from 2016 (only guys who played on the team last year) - Ogbuehi

Total wins - 12

Total ties -0

AFCN record - 4-2

Number of games Adam Jones suspended (by team or league) -2

Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - Fejedelem

Most underappreciated Bengal (by people here) - Jeremy Hill/Dre Kirkpatrick

:Bang:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 6:43 PM, kennethmw said:

So tell me again how it doesn't matter that Ross is hurt because today is the first minicamp and he can't catch a ball due to injury and he's slated to return in August or so(???) per Bengals.com. 

So tell me again how it doesn't matter that Ross is hurt because today is the first minicamp and he can't catch a ball due to injury and he's slated to return in August or so(???) per Bengals.com. 

I think they take their time with Ross since we aren't in desperate need of receivers at the moment.

13 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

You do realize he's there and running routes and going through the plays, right?  Sure, they're not throwing him passes, but he's learning the Offense.  I think he learned how to catch a few years back.

I'm actually going to answer the OP instead of indulging whatever is going on here:

Surprise cut - Cedric Peerman

Surprise signing -Cyrus Kouandjio 

Starts season on PUP - Andre Smith

Doesn't play a snap all season - Gio Bernard

Most valuable player - AJ Green

Least valuable player - Marquis Flowers

Rookie of the year - Carl Lawson

Most improved player from 2016 (only guys who played on the team last year) - Jeremy Hill

Total wins - 10

Total ties - 0

AFCN record - 4-2

Number of games Adam Jones suspended (by team or league) - 2

Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - Nick Vigil

Most underappreciated Bengal (by people here) - Russell Bodine

7 hours ago, bfine said:

I'm actually going to answer the OP instead of indulging whatever is going on here:

Surprise cut - Cedric Peerman

Surprise signing -Cyrus Kouandjio 

Doesn't play a snap all season - Gio Bernard

Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - Nick Vigil

Would like that signing a lot, 100% agree on Vigil

Question for you though, even though I don't disagree that Peerman could be a surprise cut, who is at RB with both Peerman and Gio out of the picture? Mixon/Hill/Carson/rookie UDFA?

58 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Would like that signing a lot, 100% agree on Vigil

Question for you though, even though I don't disagree that Peerman could be a surprise cut, who is at RB with both Peerman and Gio out of the picture? Mixon/Hill/Carson/rookie UDFA?

I don't think this is the year Peerman gets cut unless he gets nicked in camp.  He's getting long in the tooth and his spot is ST stud.  If he gets hurt it would open the door for some other players.  A couple UFAs may give him a shove.  Hardy Nickerson or Demetrious Cox are a couple possible candidates.  

10 hours ago, kennethmw said:

You do realize he's there and running routes and going through the plays, right?  Sure, they're not throwing him passes, but he's learning the Offense.  I think he learned how to catch a few years back.

So Ross is not practicing catching the ball, but he's still developing a chemistry with Dalton...got it.  

WR's don't get paid to run around, they get paid to catch balls from the QB and Ross can't do that because of his injury. 

45 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I don't think this is the year Peerman gets cut unless he gets nicked in camp.  He's getting long in the tooth and his spot is ST stud.  If he gets hurt it would open the door for some other players.  A couple UFAs may give him a shove.  Hardy Nickerson or Demetrious Cox are a couple possible candidates.  

There are a lot of great candidates on the current roster that could be future ST studs. It's an important facet of the game that a lot of folks seem to overlook, hopefully a couple of these guys with potential pan out as a long term replacement for a guy like Peerman.

However, we still need RBs on the roster. Any of these young LB, DB, WR, or anything else that could be great on ST still doesn't solve the issue at RB. I don't think the team would roll with Mixon/Hill/Carson/Hewitt as the only HB/FB on the roster.

Archived