Offseason and regular season questionnaire

41 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

So Ross is not practicing catching the ball, but he's still developing a chemistry with Dalton...got it.  

WR's don't get paid to run around, they get paid to catch balls from the QB and Ross can't do that because of his injury. 

With no pads and no bump and run it's not realistic anyway. Right now is more about learning the playbook and how they want the routes run. He can do that. 

Last year we carried 4 RBs plus Hewitt.  I don't think Peerman gets cut.

For years I defended the Bengals keeping Peerman around just to play special teams.  Finally, before the '15 season I said it might be time to move on.  Then he went out and had a Pro Bowl season.  he blew up the Stealers so badly they cut their return man, Dri Archer, after that game.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

With no pads and no bump and run it's not realistic anyway. Right now is more about learning the playbook and how they want the routes run. He can do that. 

We all tend to think of route running as a very simple skill to master, but on the NFL level it is very nuanced and complicated.  In fact different coaches will want the same routes run slightly different.

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

To act as if Ross's injury isn't hindering his development and the fact that he can't catch a pass until "August or so"(what does that mean) isn't a troubling sign is ridiculous.

Sure he can run around in shorts, but he can't actually catch a pass, work on improving his strength so he can beat bump and run coverage, or do any true football related activities. He's never caught a pass from Dalton and won't be able to do so until some unknown date in the future, but that's no big deal...right.

This is the time of the year when QB's and WR's get on the same page, they learn how the WR likes to catch passes and how the ball looks when it comes out of the QB hands. Most successful QB's put in many hours outside of designated time allotted to them by the NFL developing this rapport with their receivers, Dalton has done it in the past, but that's not even an option for Ross because of his injury. 

btw...Who says that can't play bump and run in minicamps, they aren't tackling or playing with pads but they are putting their hands on each other in blocking drills, etc..

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Josh Shaw (26) runs drills with wide receiver Alonzo Russell (17) during minicamp at Paul Brown Stadium

usa_today_10107561.jpg

Ross can't do that.

11 hours ago, bfine said:

I'm actually going to answer the OP instead of indulging whatever is going on here:

Surprise cut - Cedric Peerman

Surprise signing -Cyrus Kouandjio 

Starts season on PUP - Andre Smith

Doesn't play a snap all season - Gio Bernard

Most valuable player - AJ Green

Least valuable player - Marquis Flowers

Rookie of the year - Carl Lawson

Most improved player from 2016 (only guys who played on the team last year) - Jeremy Hill

Total wins - 10

Total ties - 0

AFCN record - 4-2

Number of games Adam Jones suspended (by team or league) - 2

Most overrated Bengal (by people here) - Nick Vigil

Most underappreciated Bengal (by people here) - Russell Bodine

It sounds like Lawson is going to be a beast, if he can stay healthy I think he will have a great year. Grabbing him in the 4th round was a steal and now he's playing with a chip on his shoulder. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

To act as if Ross's injury isn't hindering his development and the fact that he can't catch a pass until "August or so"(what does that mean) isn't a troubling sign is ridiculous.

Sure he can run around in shorts, but he can't actually catch a pass, work on improving his strength so he can beat bump and run coverage, or do any true football related activities. He's never caught a pass from Dalton and won't be able to do so until some unknown date in the future, but that's no big deal...right.

This is the time of the year when QB's and WR's get on the same page, they learn how the WR likes to catch passes and how the ball looks when it comes out of the QB hands. Most successful QB's put in many hours outside of designated time allotted to them by the NFL developing this rapport with their receivers, Dalton has done it in the past, but that's not even an option for Ross because of his injury. 

btw...Who says that can't play bump and run in minicamps, they aren't tackling or playing with pads but they are putting their hands on each other in blocking drills, etc..

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Josh Shaw (26) runs drills with wide receiver Alonzo Russell (17) during minicamp at Paul Brown Stadium

usa_today_10107561.jpg

Ross can't do that.

It is true, there are things Ross can't do right now.  But they don't pay him for minicamp.  Even if his development this year is slowed by his inability to participate right now, if he's the guy they wanted, that's no reason not to take him.  He is here at least 5 years and his true value will be measured by what he does over the length of his contract, not by what he does in OTAs and minicamp before his rookie year.

5 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Would like that signing a lot, 100% agree on Vigil

Question for you though, even though I don't disagree that Peerman could be a surprise cut, who is at RB with both Peerman and Gio out of the picture? Mixon/Hill/Carson/rookie UDFA?

Cedric Peerman had 6 carries for 15 yards last year; I don't think he figures into the running game at all. Boyd had 4 carries for 58 yards; could see more of that as our "3rd" running option and will most likely keep a RB (Carson?) or 2 on the PS for emergency.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

It sounds like Lawson is going to be a beast, if he can stay healthy I think he will have a great year. Grabbing him in the 4th round was a steal and now he's playing with a chip on his shoulder. 

We've had some luck with 4th RD picks. Hopefully he and Billings (4th RD last year) will continue the trend.

10 minutes ago, bfine said:

Cedric Peerman had 6 carries for 15 yards last year; I don't think he figures into the running game at all. Boyd had 4 carries for 58 yards; could see more of that as our "3rd" running option and will most likely keep a RB (Carson?) or 2 on the PS for emergency.

Would be interesting and I wouldn't disagree with it, but I'm just not sure it's what the Bengals will actually do. I don't think we really "need" 4 RBs + Hewitt as they've rolled with in the past like Freddy mentioned, but if Mixon and Hill are healthy they're going to be seeing almost every carry anyway. That's assuming Gio doesn't play of course. I think most teams would be content going into a season with Mixon/Hill/Carson plus Gio Bernard ready to come back midseason (hopefully).

9 minutes ago, bfine said:

We've had some luck with 4th RD picks. Hopefully he and Billings (4th RD last year) will continue the trend.

Just off the top of my head without really analyzing everything, I feel like in the Marvin Lewis era we've hit more on 2nd/4th picks than 1st/3rd. I really like both Billings and Glasgow, hope to see them both play well this year and beyond.

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

There are a lot of great candidates on the current roster that could be future ST studs. It's an important facet of the game that a lot of folks seem to overlook, hopefully a couple of these guys with potential pan out as a long term replacement for a guy like Peerman.

However, we still need RBs on the roster. Any of these young LB, DB, WR, or anything else that could be great on ST still doesn't solve the issue at RB. I don't think the team would roll with Mixon/Hill/Carson/Hewitt as the only HB/FB on the roster.

Bengals signed 2 UFA RBs.  One from KY and one from Penn State.  If needed I'm sure one of them could be the extra RB.  Waiver wire works there as well.  

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Would be interesting and I wouldn't disagree with it, but I'm just not sure it's what the Bengals will actually do. I don't think we really "need" 4 RBs + Hewitt as they've rolled with in the past like Freddy mentioned, but if Mixon and Hill are healthy they're going to be seeing almost every carry anyway. That's assuming Gio doesn't play of course. I think most teams would be content going into a season with Mixon/Hill/Carson plus Gio Bernard ready to come back midseason (hopefully).

Just off the top of my head without really analyzing everything, I feel like in the Marvin Lewis era we've hit more on 2nd/4th picks than 1st/3rd. I really like both Billings and Glasgow, hope to see them both play well this year and beyond.

I think the Safety with the name I don't care to learn how to spell makes Peerman expendable. This is about the same time in his career we let Kyries Hebert walk.

We have definitely missed big time in the 3rd Rd on drafts.  

19 minutes ago, bfine said:

I think the Safety with the name I don't care to learn how to spell makes Peerman expendable. This is about the same time in his career we let Kyries Hebert walk.

We have definitely missed big time in the 3rd Rd on drafts.  

The Bengals drafted the kid out of Houston and signed the Michigan DB; both of whom played both ways at some point.  Both are special athletes and should compete for a prime ST spot.  

I don't think Peerman is even a consideration at RB.  He's there for emergencies only.  He is a ST captain.  If he stays healthy and his play isn't dropping off he will stay.  If not....

49 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The Bengals drafted the kid out of Houston and signed the Michigan DB; both of whom played both ways at some point.  Both are special athletes and should compete for a prime ST spot.  

I don't think Peerman is even a consideration at RB.  He's there for emergencies only.  He is a ST captain.  If he stays healthy and his play isn't dropping off he will stay.  If not....

I think it comes down to do the Bengals want to keep Peerman or Josh Malone, if Fejedelem, Flowers, or some other player shows they are capable of stepping on special teams then I could see Peerman getting cut. Vinnie Rey is a special teams captain as well, so it's not like they are lost without him on the field. 

Peopletalk about Erickson earning a roster spot because of his return skills, but Cody Core played some defensive back his first two years at Ole Miss and was a key special teams player.  A guy with his size and speed who knows how to tackle would make a great gunner.

James Wright stuck on our rosterb for a couple of years supposedly because of his special teams skills.  Core might do the same.

Here's a VERY interesting and telling quote from Jim O on the WR position after Core went down.

"They were maybe thinking of trying to squeeze 7 receivers on this roster for Erickson. May not have worry about it now."

He later reported that there is no ligament damage and it doesn't look bad, but IMO it's very interesting to see that Erickson is the WR on the bubble and that's coming straight from people around the organization.

Archived