Bengals defense vs type of receivers

I randomly picked 5 years to look at, some interesting numbers here.

2016 (league averages in parentheses)

WR1 - 5.7 passes, 47.6 yards (8.4, 69.8)

WR2 - 5.9 passes, 44.9 yards (6.4, 49.4)

Other WR - 7 passes, 50.7 yards (6.8, 50.6)

TE - 9 passes, 73.2 yards (7.4, 54.3)

RB - 7.8 passes, 44 yards (6.7, 40.2)

WR1 - 8.7 passes, 65.1 yards (8.7, 73.8)

WR2 - 6.3 passes, 42.4 yards (6.2, 49.1)

Other WR - 6.9 passes, 51.2 yards (6.1, 45.5)

TE - 9.9 passes, 65.2 yards (7.6, 55)

RB - 8.3 passes, 51.9 yards (7.1, 43.9)

WR1 - 8.7 passes, 63.7 yards (8.4, 69)

WR2 - 6.7 passes, 37.5 yards (6.6, 54.3)

Other WR - 7 passes, 46.6 yards (6, 45.5)

TE - 7.7 passes, 52.2 yards (7, 50.7)

RB - 7.6 passes, 50.4 yards (6.8, 39.8)

WR1 - 9.7 passes, 64.1 yards (8.9, 71.8)

WR2 - 5.5 passes, 38.9 yards (6.3, 49.8)

Other WR - 7 passes, 49.9 yards (6.3, 46.1)

TE - 7.8 passes, 43.3 yards (7.3, 54.4)

RB - 7.9 passes, 46.7 yards (6.7, 38.5)

WR1 - 7.2 passes 43.4 yards (8.4, 67.9)

WR2 - 6.5 passes, 54.1 yards (6.6, 51.9)

Other WR - 5.1 passes, 43.1 yards (6.1, 46.1)

TE - 8.3 passes, 57.3 yards (7.5, 52.9)

RB - 7.6 passes, 43.3 yards (6.1, 35.2)

We've been picked on with TEs more than a lot of teams in the league, but hopefully that's something the team is focusing on now with the moves they've made the past year or two through FA and the draft. The WR1 data has been hit or miss, we did a VERY good job last year with Dre Kirkpatrick typically guarding the opposition's best player. Kudos to Dre for improving so much. We've been generally solid against WR2s for all 5 years. At least 1 of the 2 (pass attempts or yardage, sometimes both) have been below league average for our defense against #2 WRs. We've been very average against WR3-5.

Our defense against RBs is what stands out the most to me. We've been very poor compared to other teams around the league. Seeing 7 - 8 attempts and 40 - 55 yards per game doesn't seem like much, but it is when you figure the average of the NFL is typically a full attempt or more lower per game and we're usually almost 10 yards worse per game as well. We're one of the teams consistently keeping the league averages up, and that's not a good thing. A lot of people (and rightfully so) have bashed our TE coverage over the years, but any decent pass catching RB seems to give the Bengals fits. We were the 14th highest team in the "percentage of plays with a broken tackle" in 2015, and the absolute WORST in the league in 2016. I think our RB coverage numbers suffer due to broken tackles just as much as our run D does. I used to have the data to differentiate between a broken tackle coming on a run play or pass play, I wish I still had access to that because it would be interesting to see and compare to these other numbers and draw conclusions based on everything put together.

I wonder how many of those 2016 completions and/or missed tackles to RB's were conversions on 3rd down.  Sure seemed like a bunch.

Also would like to know how & why the tackling went to complete shit.  I knew it was bad, but damn.. Absolute worst tackling defense in the NFL?  Can we maybe hire Zimmer to stop by training camp for an hour or two & yell at them? He can wear a fake mustache or something, have the team let Pacman loose in Party Source as a media distraction.

I do recall a lot of RB third down conversions on us but I'm not sure if that stat exists to compare to other teams. 

The tackling was really bad last year. Even Dre Kirk who stepped up massively in coverage had a lot of broken tackles on him. Burfict did as well. Actually, almost every single guy on the team had a worse ratio of broken tackles to solo tackles than in 2015. I'm not sure it can even be explained but it was a mess out there. 

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

I do recall a lot of RB third down conversions on us but I'm not sure if that stat exists to compare to other teams. 

The tackling was really bad last year. Even Dre Kirk who stepped up massively in coverage had a lot of broken tackles on him. Burfict did as well. Actually, almost every single guy on the team had a worse ratio of broken tackles to solo tackles than in 2015. I'm not sure it can even be explained but it was a mess out there. 

Lack of pass rush, lack of consistent offense and TOP battle.  Our D got used and abused for long stretches because the O was a disaster.

12 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Lack of pass rush, lack of consistent offense and TOP battle.  Our D got used and abused for long stretches because the O was a disaster.

I'm sure that had something to do with it, but the TOP last season was only slightly below average (19th).  

As bad as the OL was, I don't think that excuses the worst tackling defense in the league.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm sure that had something to do with it, but the TOP last season was only slightly below average (19th).  

As bad as the OL was, I don't think that excuses the worst tackling defense in the league.

It wasn't just the TOP, but the timing of it.  The O would go through long stretches of 3 and outs exposing the defense for many series in a row with no breaks.  Then the O would have a few good series in a row to offset TOP but the numbers didn't really tell the story.  That was the feel the people sitting in our section had at the games.  Also the weapons available to the offense was constantly changing due to injuries that it would help explain the inconsistencies in the offense.

It is mostly scheme-related.

The Bengals typically play with both safeties a little deeper than other teams. Kind of a "bend but don't break" style. They try not to give up the deep pass plays and have been much better than league average in not giving up big 20+ yard passes. They will give up some short completions to RBs and TEs and force you to really march it down the field on long drives.

You also see them do a really good job on 3rd down and long of forcing teams to dump it off short of the first down and then have the LBs and DBs come up and make the tackle short of the first down. 

I think back to the game vs. KC in 2015 (http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791712) as a perfect example of the philosophy in action. Gave up 31 completions and 386 yards passing to Alex Smith. A lot of dump offs to J. Charles, T. Kelce and quick passes to Jeremy Maclin. But we didn't give up any touchdowns and won pretty easily. 

Archived