More draft picks signed!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 3:42 PM, omgdrdoom said:

I really don't miss the days of the old contracts.

When you look back at how totally fucked up the old system was (high first round picks getting paid more than Pro Bowl veterans and multiple training camp holdouts every year) it is amazing that they took so long to fix it.

Remember when teams with the #1 overall pick wouod consider trading it because they did not want to get saddled with that big of a contract for an unproven player?  That was insane.

Yeah, this system is so much better for the bad teams. We got AJ Green for like 4 years, $23M with a relatively cheap 5th year option. Ross is only 4 years, $17M.

Under the new system though, it definitely is more of a negative when you're always drafting in the 20s. It has been noticeable that we had gone 6 years without drafting in the top half of the first round and getting an elite player at a bargain price.

While 2016 sucked, it was nice picking near the top of each round (and using some of that draft capital to trade down and add Josh Malone). 

On 5/30/2017 at 2:21 PM, happyrid said:

Yeah, this system is so much better for the bad teams. We got AJ Green for like 4 years, $23M with a relatively cheap 5th year option. Ross is only 4 years, $17M.

Under the new system though, it definitely is more of a negative when you're always drafting in the 20s. It has been noticeable that we had gone 6 years without drafting in the top half of the first round and getting an elite player at a bargain price.

While 2016 sucked, it was nice picking near the top of each round (and using some of that draft capital to trade down and add Josh Malone). 

It's better but i still think it's flawed, i think position should have something to do with it...like a 1st overall QB, should get the #1 overall pick slotted pay + a 10% over the average salary for the position they play of the top 10 paid players...something like that for maybe the 1st 10 picks...because Aj is way underpaid and hell QB's taken #8 and end up being really good are also underpaid.

18 hours ago, turningpoint said:

It's better but i still think it's flawed, i think position should have something to do with it...like a 1st overall QB, should get the #1 overall pick slotted pay + a 10% over the average salary for the position they play of the top 10 paid players...something like that for maybe the 1st 10 picks...because Aj is way underpaid and hell QB's taken #8 and end up being really good are also underpaid.

I disagree. If you are any good you will get paid in your second contract. If you want to argue rookie contracts should be shorter that's reasonable but they should be cheap. 

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

I disagree. If you are any good you will get paid in your second contract. If you want to argue rookie contracts should be shorter that's reasonable but they should be cheap. 

This.

Even the best teams in the league end up with first round flops from time to time.  Even the top ten picks are pretty much ghuaranteed to have a couple of flops each year.

Meanwhile there will be some fourth round picks who become very good players and have to play for peanuts for four years.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:05 PM, Jason said:

Per Jim O twitter:

Can confirm that the #Bengals have locked up another pick in RB Joe Mixon. 
Leaves Jordan Willis and J.J. Dielman left.

That's good news, I figured there was a chance Mixon would be a holdout.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-Sign-Fifth-Round-Pick-JJ-Dielman/d1ffe784-df62-4c2f-a3d3-32ec0b0daf0b

Bengals Sign Fifth-Round Pick J.J. Dielman

The Bengals today signed C/G J.J. Dielman of the University of Utah, the second of the Bengals’ two fifth-round selections in the 2017 NFL Draft (176th overall).

060717-deilman-jj-art.jpg

The Bengals today signed C/G J.J. Dielman of the University of Utah, the second of the Bengals’ two fifth-round selections in the 2017 NFL Draft (176th overall). He is the 10th of 11 Bengals draft picks to sign a contract. He signed a four-year deal.

Dielman (6-5, 309) was a three-year starter on Utah’s offensive line, starting 31 of 32 total career games. He started the Utes’ first five games at center last season as a senior before suffering a season-ending foot injury. He played right tackle his sophomore and junior seasons. Dielman blocked for Utah RBs Joe Williams and DeVontae Booker, who averaged a combined 5.4 yards per carry over Dielman’s three years as a starter and three times topped 1200 yards (Williams totaled 1438 rushing yards in 2016, while Booker had 1512 in ’14 and 1261 in ’15).

The Bengals have one draft pick still unsigned -- DE Jordan Willis (third round; Kansas State).

Archived