Peko Bad Mouth's Bengals

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/5/16/15649088/domata-peko-jab-bengals-shortcoming

Peko has been part of the problem more than the solution for most of his NFL career with the Bengals, so he has no room to talk about his former team’s playoff drought. 

by Jason Marcum@marcum89  May 16, 2017, 4:00pm EDT

The Cincinnati Bengals don’t have to deal with Domata Peko’s shortcomings anymore. 

The veteran nose tackle left this offseason to sign a two-year deal with the Denver Broncos in hopes of helping upgrade their run defense. That seems like a comical statement since Peko was often one of the weakest links on the Bengals’ defense for much of his career, but he apparently doesn’t realize that. Peko decided to take a jab at his former team in talking about how the Bengals are focussed on winning a playoff game rather than a championship.

The irony of this is too rich as one of the biggest reasons the Bengals have been unable to win a playoff game has been their inability to stop the run. And when your starting nose tackle is annually ranked among the worst in football, he’s part of the problem. 

PFF ranked him 106th out of 127 eligible interior defenders last season, which has been the range Peko has been in for most of his 11-year career. That has been a big reason why the Bengals have continuously been gashed on the ground in the postseason, whether it’s by Fitzgerald Toussaint, Jordan Todman, Ronnie Brown, Dan “Boom” Herron, Danny Woodhead, Ronnie Brown or Ryan Mathews.

Let’s take a look at the Bengals’ playoff losses in which Peko was starting: 

2015: 167 allowed vs Stealers’ backfield of Fitzgerald Toussaint and Jordan Todman.

2014: 114 allowed to Colts’ backfield of Dan Herron and Zurlon Tipton.

2013: 196 allowed to Chargers’ backfield of Danny Woodhead, Ryan Mathews and 32-year-old Ronnie Brown (Matthews missed most of second half due to injury). 

2012: 158 allowed to Texans’ backfield of Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

2011: 188 allowed to Texans’ backfield of Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

2009: 171 allowed to Jets’ backfield of Shonn Greene and Thomas Davis.

That’s not exactly a murderer’s row of running backs, but Peko’s inability to do much in the middle led to all of those backs looking like All-Pros in the most important game of the year. It’s hard to win games in the cold months of December and January when you can’t win on the ground. Peko helped ensure the Bengals lost the trench warfare more often than not in the postseason.

While Peko is probably in a better position to win a championship in Denver, it’s because they have more depth and won’t have to rely as much on him as the Bengals unfortunately did. He wasn’t the only reason why Cincinnati never won a playoff game, but he was more part of the problem than the solution.

Bengals Fan: "The team sucks! They'll never win under Mike Brown! Muh mediocrities! Bitch-moan-bitch"

*10-year Bengals vet and former team captain suggests Bengals set their sights too low vs. new team with winning culture*

Bengals Fan:  "Fuck him, he sucks! He's always sucked, PFF says so! It's his fault we lost all those playoff games!"

*But I thought you said it was "Bad An-

Bengals Fan:  "WARGLBARGL! REEEEEEEEEE!"

27 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Bengals Fan: "The team sucks! They'll never win under Mike Brown! Muh mediocrities! Bitch-moan-bitch"

*10-year Bengals vet and former team captain suggests Bengals set their sights too low vs. new team with winning culture*

Bengals Fan:  "Fuck him, he sucks! He's always sucked, PFF says so! It's his fault we lost all those playoff games!"

*But I thought you said it was "Bad An-

Bengals Fan:  "WARGLBARGL! REEEEEEEEEE!"

A:  Peko confirms what many think about organization.

B:  Peko also lacks the self awareness to know he was part of the problem.

Good luck, don't come back.

Peko wasn't good for couple years, he looked really bad even in limited time recently, but he used to be a solid to good player on our defense for many years.

How many of our captains, All-Pros, Pro Bowlers, and general team leaders will make comments like this (or worse) until some folks admit there could be some issues here in ol' Cincinnati? There seems to be a mentality here that starts at the top. I won't go as extreme to say a "losing" mentality, but it doesn't seem like (from an NFL player perspective) having a conversation with Mikey and Marv would be anything like having a conversation with, say, Belichick and Bob Kraft. The atmosphere here isn't what it is elsewhere. I'm sure we aren't the only team in the league like this but I'd bet we're one of the only consistent playoff contenders that are viewed this way by players.

Go to any free agent, who has signed with another team, and you will always hear how much greener the grass is where they are now. 

Hasn't Domata had other opportunities to leave this "hell hole" before, but has chosen to stay? 

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Go to any free agent, who has signed with another team, and you will always hear how much greener the grass is where they are now. 

Hasn't Domata had other opportunities to leave this "hell hole" before, but has chosen to stay? 

To be fair, Peko didn't really say it's a hell hole here, did he? He just commented that in Cincinnati the team seemed to focus on winning playoff games and Denver seemed to have a bigger goal in mind. You are correct though, Peko had his chances to leave in the past, he wasn't forced to sign his multiple extensions with us. I don't think he was saying that it's absolutely horrible in Cincinnati, but it seems like once he got to Denver and started dealing with their organization and fellow players that something was different about the atmosphere there. Which brings me to....

Look at the other 10-ish teams that have won about as much as we have over the course of the past few years.

Are there multiple examples of each team's history of their top players and captains making comments about not being able to get a free Gatorade or that there's not a championship winning mentality there? Maybe some of us don't see it because we follow the Bengals closer than other teams, but I don't recall that happening in any other good franchise. Each team in the league certainly has their own issues, but I'm not sure the "let's win a championship and treat our players like first class athletes" is here where it seems to be in many of the other top organizations. IMO that's one of the things that makes us not one of the top organizations and puts us at a tier below them.

I think there's enough evidence at this point from our top former players and locker room leaders that there's some fire to go along with the smoke. I'm not going to be one of those guys screaming about how much our team sucks and that we'll never win anything and blah blah blah, but I do question the way that it seems players see us compared to other top teams. We're a good but not great team, we have a good but not great organization, we have a good but not great everything it seems with our recent history. It would be cool to see someone come in and, dare I say, make the Bengals great again.

7 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I am not a Peko fan.....but any NFL player in the twilight of his career would likely say anything to get a paycheck from a team.

He would probably say the same thing if he had went to the Browns.

Not sure I follow that logic as he made these comments after getting the paycheck.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It was for TJ Pony Tail too.  Until he finally admitted it wasn't.

Peko's comments are true, every offseason the big question is this the year that the Bengals win a playoff game...that is the reality of the situation. In some organizations like the Broncos, Pats, Seahawks, and Stealers they are worried about the Super Bowl; once again this is the reality, whether we like it or not.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Seems like some are over-blowing this. We talk about winning playoff games because we haven't done that in decades, when we do we will start talking about winning championships.

And I think that is what Peko is saying, essentially. He spent more than a decade here trying to win a playoff game and in the twilight of his career he wants to win a championship. 

Ultimately I think it is something he could have kept to himself but it's not like he's making up shit and bad talking the Bengals know that he's on another team. 

29 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Personally, I don't give a shit what Peko says or thinks.  He is gone and the Bengals are better for it.   Bottom line, he was a member (actually team captain) on multiple teams that didn't get it done.  He shares equally in that failure.  

pretty much this...

On 5/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, PatternMaster said:

Peko's comments are true, every offseason the big question is this the year that the Bengals win a playoff game...that is the reality of the situation. In some organizations like the Broncos, Pats, Seahawks, and Stealers they are worried about the Super Bowl; once again this is the reality, whether we like it or not.

Also reality that if a Bengal player starts talking about winning the Super Bowl whiny ass fans say "You better think about winning a single playoff game before talking about the Super Bowl."

If you want to be a whiney ass then you can make it work either way.

No free agent ever has said "My last team was better than this team".  The grass is always greener with the new team.  So I am not hating on Peko too much for this.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:21 PM, Jamie_B said:

Seems like some are over-blowing this. We talk about winning playoff games because we haven't done that in decades, when we do we will start talking about winning championships.

Exactly. Pretty sure that's not their ultimate goal.

Archived