Peko Bad Mouth's Bengals

Definitely overblown here. There isn't a team out there that says we are gonna work just hard enough to win a playoff game this year. You have to win a playoff game 1st to win a Super Bowl so any assumption that a team that makes the playoffs and wins a game is content after is ridiculous. With Marvins mantra of 1 game at a time breaking down the season into 4 quarters and winning the division set as preliminary goals  I can understand why the win a playoff game thing comes up in Cincy, but, just because winning a playoff game is mentioned as a goal that doesn't mean it's the ultimate one. One has to 1st be achieved before the other can be, so I greatly doubt any of this has any bearing on the mentality of winning a Championship or the effort and amount of work they put in,  just sounds like someone trying to rile up some #1 bs to me.

That said Peko hasn't been able to hold his ground at dt for a long while now and was average at best when he was at his best in my opinion. So despite him seeming to be a genuinely good guy I'm glad he's gone and I think our dline will be better without him.

5 hours ago, StripesEarned said:

That said Peko hasn't been able to hold his ground at dt for a long while now and was average at best when he was at his best in my opinion. So despite him seeming to be a genuinely good guy I'm glad he's gone and I think our dline will be better without him.

True dat. 
And I agree.  Great guy and member of the community but overstayed his place on the team by several years.  Still does not make him a bad guy.  At all.

To some degree, much the same can be said for Maualuga.  He survived on flamboyance more than production and became an albatross around the team's neck.  For all the crap (deserved crap) about Pacanimal, I don't know how Maualuga dodged the bullet of being drunk and climbing a parking meter with an underaged girl's car. (she was apparently in the KY bar with a fake ID.  A student at Fairfield HS and one of the posters knew her.)  Whatever, I don't know how he kept from sterner action from that stunt.

To add to the list of those who were here too long is Leon Hall.  He couldn't really cut the mustard as a cornerback for several years before he was let go and was living on press clippings from yesterday's papers for several years, too. (IMHO)

But... I am excited about the clean slate for this season.  Now if we only had a coach (speaking of people who have long outstayed their time with the team).

On 6/3/2017 at 8:16 AM, High School Harry said:

To add to the list of those who were here too long is Leon Hall.  He couldn't really cut the mustard as a cornerback for several years before he was let go and was living on press clippings from yesterday's papers for several years, too. (IMHO)

But... I am excited about the clean slate for this season.  Now if we only had a coach (speaking of people who have long outstayed their time with the team).

I think "several years" is quite an overstatement for Leon. He obviously had some injury issues, but outside of like 1 season he was widely regarded as an upper tier slot CB when he was on the field. The injuries surely didn't help him though, I have no issue admitting that. Not being on the field and some declining play isn't what you want to see from a guy, but he was hardly a liability for several years.

To the bold: :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, sois said:

Peko blows, the end. He always has.

Bengals need a fat backflipping 400 lb'er

I know you were just.. being you.  But I realized I view a huge DT being able to do a backflip as only slightly less relevant to playing football than a WR's sub-4.4 40 time.  Both are impressive athletic feats that don't necessarily indicate an ability to play at a high level.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I know you were just.. being you.  But I realized I view a huge DT being able to do a backflip as only slightly less relevant to playing football than a WR's sub-4.4 40 time.  Both are impressive athletic feats that don't necessarily indicate an ability to play at a high level.

You watch your mouth. Ross being able to run .02 seconds faster than some other guys obviously means he's unable to be defended :ph34r:

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

You watch your mouth. Ross being able to run .02 seconds faster than some other guys obviously means he's unable to be defended :ph34r:

Have I mentioned how excited I am to have yet another first round draft pick rehabbing an injury before he takes a snap as a Bengal?

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Have I mentioned how excited I am to have yet another first round draft pick rehabbing an injury before he takes a snap as a Bengal?

I'm pretty sure this has happened with a 1st rounder literally every year after AJ in 2011, right?

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'm pretty sure this has happened with a 1st rounder literally every year after AJ in 2011, right?

Other than DreK who was injured in his first TC, and Zeitler who was a "1b" pick in that same draft, yeah, I think that's right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Bengals_first-round_draft_picks

Hardly a surprise that so many of them have missed games or otherwise struggled getting up to speed. 

With the rookie slotting system determining their salaries I'm not sure why we still insist on shopping in the scratch & dent bargain aisle.

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

With the rookie slotting system determining their salaries I'm not sure why we still insist on shopping in the scratch & dent bargain aisle.

Because the salary has nothing to do with getting a higher ranked player with a lower draft pick due to an injury.

Just now, fredtoast said:

Because the salary has nothing to do with getting a higher ranked player with a lower draft pick due to an injury.

Ranked by who?  The Bengals?  These discount players haven't been working out so well. Maybe whether they are healthy and ready to play football should count for more in their ranking system.

Archived