Trump Investigations

Jamie_B

Anyone following the Kentucky Governor's race?  Matt Bevin (R) lost by around 5,000 votes but is refusing to concede and challenging the election, claiming fraud etc etc.   Has to suck when all that gerrymandering and voter suppression doesn't work out.

Anyway I think it's instructive of what to expect if Trump loses the election, or is no longer allowed to run.   Finding (or manufacturing) an excuse to declare a national emergency also seems possible.  He's already stacked the judiciary with his people so no relief there, and the constant "both sides" argument will excuse just about anything.  It's straight out of his handler's playbook; continuously accuse the opposition of whatever wrongdoing you have planned so as to normalize the bad behavior in case you get caught.  "But her emails!" and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Anyone following the Kentucky Governor's race?  Matt Bevin (R) lost by around 5,000 votes but is refusing to concede and challenging the election, claiming fraud etc etc.   Has to suck when all that gerrymandering and voter suppression doesn't work out.

Anyway I think it's instructive of what to expect if Trump loses the election, or is no longer allowed to run.   Finding (or manufacturing) an excuse to declare a national emergency also seems possible.  He's already stacked the judiciary with his people so no relief there, and the constant "both sides" argument will excuse just about anything.  It's straight out of his handler's playbook; continuously accuse the opposition of whatever wrongdoing you have planned so as to normalize the bad behavior in case you get caught.  "But her emails!" and so on.

If they win - they cheated!

If we win - they tried to cheat, but we overcame!

2 hours ago, Cat said:

If they win - they cheated!

If we win - they tried to cheat, but we overcame!

Either way, the important thing is for their base to think they are under attack.   This justifies whatever violent and/or criminal shit they do because it's "self-defense". 

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The last time the state legislation choose the winner of the election in Kentucky the winner they chose was assassinated.  Bevin should do well to remember that.

12 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The last time the state legislation choose the winner of the election in Kentucky the winner they chose was assassinated.  Bevin should do well to remember that.

I'm not sure what he's thinking.  I heard the Kentucky GOP asked him to concede & he's highly unlikely to make up 5k votes from a "recanvas" as KY doesn't have any provision for a full recount.  The Republicans do control the Kentucky legislature but they're not going to hand him the election with that kind of deficit.  

Trump on the other hand has spent the last few years pandering to various violent fringe elements & at this point not much would surprise me from that camp.  He's already committed treason to get elected; nothing is beneath them,  I wonder what federal law enforcement thinks?  To me mob violence and/or some kind of domestic terrorism incident seems highly likely around the election.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not sure what he's thinking.  I heard the Kentucky GOP asked him to concede & he's highly unlikely to make up 5k votes from a "recanvas" as KY doesn't have any provision for a full recount.  The Republicans do control the Kentucky legislature but they're not going to hand him the election with that kind of deficit.  

Trump on the other hand has spent the last few years pandering to various violent fringe elements & at this point not much would surprise me from that camp.  He's already committed treason to get elected; nothing is beneath them,  I wonder what federal law enforcement thinks?  To me mob violence and/or some kind of domestic terrorism incident seems highly likely around the election.

I dont think its gonna come to that, but Bevin has a Trump like ego himself so who knows.

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont think its gonna come to that, but Bevin has a Trump like ego himself so who knows.

No, he doesn't have the rabid following that Trump does.  The President's already inspired terrorist attacks, not much of a stretch to think there will be more as this gets uglier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I still think this whole process will only strengthen their grip on the government, and the headlines that swing voters will read will be "Trump cleared of all charges" - so they will feel free to vote for him again with a clear conscience. 

I get it, you can't do NOTHING - but I think this is ultimately going to help Trump.

9 hours ago, Cat said:

I still think this whole process will only strengthen their grip on the government, and the headlines that swing voters will read will be "Trump cleared of all charges" - so they will feel free to vote for him again with a clear conscience. 

I get it, you can't do NOTHING - but I think this is ultimately going to help Trump.

At this point they'll do anything to retain power because they know once it's gone they probably aren't getting it back for a long, long time.  The fact that normalizing this behavior opens the door for future presidents to abuse power in the same way doesn't enter into their thinking.  It's a "Last Gasp" mentality which is why it's so dangerous.  

Trump's presidency will end (possibly in some other form of dictatorship) but the damage he's done to America will take much longer to repair.  

On 12/12/2019 at 8:13 AM, Cat said:

I doubt it.  Swing Voters are going to hear that the Jury Foreman, Moscow Mitch, is going to work in lockstep with the defendant.  They have also watched this Seven year old spoiled Brat in a Seventy Year Old Man Suit, destroy the credibility of the Office of the President.  The World is Laughing at HIM, not with him.  And he deserves EVERY GUFFAW!!

I have been a Democrat my entire life so there is no Trump love from me, but as much hoopla the media is putting out there about impeachment plus the masses growing disregard they have for the media the voters don't seem to be paying very much attention to it all.  Trump will likely be acquitted by the GOP controlled Senate.  And with most of America not watching closely the voters will figure it is all just Washington shenanigans as usual.  I think the Dems are going to lose the momentum they had coming out of 2018.

Of course it's all just my opinion and I don't know crap.....

6 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I have been a Democrat my entire life so there is no Trump love from me, but as much hoopla the media is putting out there about impeachment plus the masses growing disregard they have for the media the voters don't seem to be paying very much attention to it all.  Trump will likely be acquitted by the GOP controlled Senate.  And with most of America not watching closely the voters will figure it is all just Washington shenanigans as usual.  I think the Dems are going to lose the momentum they had coming out of 2018.

Of course it's all just my opinion and I don't know crap.....

I think you're probably right.  They've leaned heavily on the projection tactic, accusing the Dems of doing things they plan on doing themselves so it seems to normalize their bad behavior.  If you talk to a Trumper they won't go 5 minutes without What-abouting any accusation (Hillary, Biden, whoever).  Reason and the rule of law don't apply to people who don't argue in good faith and are beyond the reach of that law.  

I would also say again that the Dems had every reason to begin impeachment proceedings earlier - emoluments clause violations, indications of money laundering, fraud convictions relating to bogus Trump "charities", appointing self-declared white supremacists to his cabinet, the obvious Russian collusion that was squashed by a complicit DOJ..  By any legal standard he should've been in jail long before he ran for President.  Pelosi & friends were happy to ignore all this, probably because they're mixed up in similar seedy shit, but were content to wag their fingers & do nothing until their annointed candidate in Biden was threatened.  Then all of a sudden they had a moral duty to act, or whatever.  It's transparent as fuck.

The power structures of both parties need to be removed before either one of them are actually worthwhile.  It's only because Trump is such a massive piece of shit that the establishment Dems look relatively appealing.

Personally I would accept just about any other candidate so long as they seem relatively sane, aren't on Putin's dick, and aren't frothing-at-the-mouth bigots.  5 years ago I would've thought this was a basic requirement of the presidency regardless of one's politics, but here we are.

Archived