Lewis Worried About Kids

Very rich coming from a NFL head coach much less one that supports Adam Jones and has supported other players that have been less than a good example to kids.  I get the NFL is a business and not everyone is a good example, but damn....STFU.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1306582-bengals-lewis-celebration-rule-change-not-a-good-example-for-young-people

Bengals' Lewis: Celebration rule change not a good example for young people

While news of the NFL relaxing its celebration rules Tuesday was met with almost universal excitement, Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wasn't among those happy about the change.

"I'm not for that at all," Lewis said, according to ESPN's Katherine Terrell. "We had a good standard and the whole standard has always been you want to teach people how to play the game the correct way and go about it the correct way, and that's not a very good example for young people."

The NFL approved changes that will allow players to perform group celebrations, use footballs as props, and make snow angels. Excessive or inappropriate celebrations, such as ones mimicking weapons or taunting opponents, remain illegal and will continue to be flagged.

However, Lewis was happy with the NFL's recent strict approach.

"The rules were changed for a reason and I thought we had a good outcome," he said. "Again, this is a team game, and ... I don't understand why we want to give in to individual celebrations."

While Lewis has an issue with over-the-top celebrations, it's worth noting he coached arguably one of its pioneers, wide receiver Chad Johnson.

Johnson's famous celebrations include pretending to perform CPR on a football and wearing a poncho and sombrero on the bench.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

"I don't understand why we want to give in to individual celebrations."

So that SportsCenter can run clips of punters doing dance routines, obviously.  If they can market it, they're for it.  I'm sure Marvin understands this perfectly well, he just doesn't like it.

"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way."  - Marlo Stanfield

All I have seen Marvin say about the night Adam was arrested is that his language was unacceptable, but he really did nothing else wrong.  That happens to be the truth.  Marvin has clearly stated that Adam needs to work on his public persona.  So I don't know what so many people are upset over.

Adam Jones really has nothing to do with Marvin's dislike of excessive celebrations.  And if I remember correctly from the old Ochocinco days there are a lot of people here who agree with him.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

All I have seen Marvin say about the night Adam was arrested is that his language was unacceptable, but he really did nothing else wrong.  That happens to be the truth.  Marvin has clearly stated that Adam needs to work on his public persona.  So I don't know what so many people are upset over.

Adam Jones really has nothing to do with Marvin's dislike of excessive celebrations.  And if I remember correctly from the old Ochocinco days there are a lot of people here who agree with him.

those people all left...

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I think you misread my comment.  I think it's rich that Lewis would say individual celebrations should be banned because they aren't good examples for children.  

Adam  Jones has as list of poor behavior that is very long.  The Bengals seem to care very little.  You can throw in guys like Odell Thurmond and Chris Henry as well as players the Bengals accepted their poor behavior.  Corey Dillon was no angel either.  When your owner considers himself a "redeemer" and you work for him and follow his lead you have little authority to talk about setting a good example for kids.  Especially for something as trivial as a post play celebration.

For the record I don't much care for the individual or planned celebrations either.  They distract players from their team goals.  I can see how a coach wouldn't like them as it makes their job more difficult.  Still, talking about setting an example for children?  Hahaha!

A man for whom a Cincinnati stadium is named after, once said "act like you have been there before". ML taking a similar stance is bad how? 

And attempting to connect Chad, Adam and Joe Mixon to the argument is a total non-seqiutur. 

May as well throw the Russians in there too.

I'm surprised The NFL brought back celebrations? Not that I'm complaining I thought a lot of them were brilliant.  

The most memorable one being Terrell Owens sharpie incident and Joe Horn hiding a mobile under one of the uprights to make a call after he scored a touchdown. 

I have no problem with seeing someone who just accomplished something be happy about it.
Hell, when I crush a meeting at work, I walk out the door pretty pumped up.

People enjoy that type of excitement and passion in regards to the work they do.

It may be just a sport for entertainment for fans, but to the players, it's their job as well.

I suppose that could be different if I were working at a funeral home, but that's another story.

Scoring a TD on a great play in front of thousands of people ??  Yeah, I'd be all sorts of stoked !!!

Marvin should worry less about how celebrations might impact the youth of this nation and more about how to win a f*cking playoff game.
Maybe worry about how a lack of discipline on the part of his players has cost this team dearly ??

Hey kids, don't concern yourself with what it says when a player get arrested, just please don't ever celebrate a job well done.

God knows that's what going to lead them down the wrong path in life.

A little over the top ??  Sure, but still...

What Marvin should really be worried about is not saying stupid shit.  Just don't give any comment about it.  NEVER, EVER, EVER, talk about discipline or fines or looking out for the kids, b/c the organization that you work for is the easiest target in the NFL.

20 hours ago, schotzee said:

Celebrating a good play is well... Childish and self consuming.

So every single Bengal fan who attends a game is acting childish when they celebrate a good play?

Why should fans be allowed to show how happy they are but the player who actually accomplished the feat himself is barred from any celebration.  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  The player who actually worked and sacrificed should be allowed to celebrate while all the fans who do nothing but sit on their asses and watch should not be allowed to celebrate because they have done nothing to deserve it.

3 hours ago, FishHook said:

Marvin should worry less about how celebrations might impact the youth of this nation and more about how to win a f*cking playoff game.
Maybe worry about how a lack of discipline on the part of his players has cost this team dearly ??

Hey kids, don't concern yourself with what it says when a player get arrested, just please don't ever celebrate a job well done.

God knows that's what going to lead them down the wrong path in life.

A little over the top ??  Sure, but still...

Well Marvin has accomplished a hell, of a lot more than you, so I guess that means you are not allowed to give any opinion on anything, right?

Don't you all realize how absurd this all sounds?  What the hell does having a guy who got in trouble have to do with not liking excessive celebrations?  and can we also assume that no other team in the league is allowed to make any comment about excessive celebrations because every single one of them has at least one player who has been in trouble?

And the funniest part is how all of you are acting like Marvin had no problem with Adam's language when in fact he has gone on the record by saying that Adams language was not acceptable and that he has to work on his public image.

24 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Well Marvin has accomplished a hell, of a lot more than you

Oh FFS..  You have no idea, that guy could've helped sequence the Human Genome or be the SEAL that shot Bin Laden for all you know.  They might be a pediatric neurosurgeon or a retired Detroit cop.  You have no clue.

And what has Marvin Lewis done?  Coached a professional sports franchise, one known for a comic series of playoff meltdowns?  I mean I like the guy well enough but on the list of NFL coaches he probably wouldn't even crack the top 50.  Even if he was Belicheat, what has that dude really contributed to mankind?  Super Bowl trophies?

Get a grip on the hero worship.

"I'm not for that at all," Lewis said, according to ESPN's Katherine Terrell. "We had a good standard and the whole standard has always been you want to teach people how to play the game the correct way and go about it the correct way, and that's not a very good example for young people."

“As time has come out, other than his language what did he do?” Lewis said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/police-release-footage-of-adam-jones-arrest-including-the-moment-when-he-reportedly-spat-on-nurse

Good people of Bengals nation please tell me which is worse, maybe I don't understand...

Marvin is proving he's clueless off the field as well as he's in certain coaching situations, like the end of the half or game. Hopefully this is this guy's last year as the Bengals HC, he's almost as embarrassing as mentee Pacman Jones. Initially I was a huge Marvin fan but throughout the course of his tenure here it's become painfully obvious that he's out of touch on things like player discipline, clock management, end of half/game situations, etc... and his playoff record is horrible. All of these things combined make me think the Bengals could do better...

40 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Good people of Bengals nation please tell me which is worse, maybe I don't understand...

In order for me to help you you will have to explain what you mean.

Marvin Lewis condemned the way Adam was talking on that video.  So what the hell does that have to do with excessive celebrations?  Why can't he be opposed to both?

31 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

In order for me to help you you will have to explain what you mean.

Marvin Lewis condemned the way Adam was talking on that video.  So what the hell does that have to do with excessive celebrations?  Why can't he be opposed to both?

I think it's more than Pacman 's words that are problematic, his actions are pretty fucked up as well.

It's people's actions that are the center of the issue. Marvin has an issue with some people dancing but not Pacman 's actions.

17 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

A man for whom a Cincinnati stadium is named after, once said "act like you have been there before". ML taking a similar stance is bad how? 

And attempting to connect Chad, Adam and Joe Mixon to the argument is a total non-seqiutur. 

May as well throw the Russians in there too.

For me, I never cared much about the celebrations either way. SOme were pretty entertaining, some just went on too long. But this is entertainment, so let them, I say. I guess what I meant tying Chad to it is that Marvin didn't do anything about it then, even when the rules allowed for it, so why does he care so much about it now? He could have routinely found ways to punish Chad for those "excessive" celebrations if he hated them so much, but he didn't do anything. So now that the rules have somewhat reverted back to those days, NOW he's indignant about it?

Archived