Lewis Worried About Kids

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I think it's more than Pacman 's words that are problematic, his actions are pretty fucked up as well.

It's people's actions that are the center of the issue. Marvin has an issue with some people dancing but not Pacman 's actions.

To be fair, it's not Marvin's call whether Pac stays or goes. He publicly stated he didn't want to bring Chris Henry back and you saw how that turned out.  The Redeemer gonna redeem.

13 hours ago, fredtoast said:

In order for me to help you you will have to explain what you mean.

Marvin Lewis condemned the way Adam was talking on that video.  So what the hell does that have to do with excessive celebrations?  Why can't he be opposed to both?

Ok, dude, let me spell it out for you.

Marvin makes the claim that he is against celebrations because it is a bad example for children.

Marvin coaches a team in the NFL.  The league has a very spotty reputation for putting up with criminals and other bad actors that are definitely bad examples for children.  Marvin coaches a team in the NFL that has a reputation for putting up with players that break the law.  In fact, he coaches a team which has an owner on record as saying he sees himself as a redeemer.  He thinks people deserve second, third, fourth chances, etc.  Adam Jones is one of those players that has gotten multiple chances after setting a very poor example for children time after time.  Sure, Marvin criticizes Jones, but these things still keep happening to Jones.  

My point, and the point of others, is that Marvin has no business commenting about setting examples for children when the team he coaches gives that zero consideration as it relates to the players it employs.  

15 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Well Marvin has accomplished a hell, of a lot more than you, so I guess that means you are not allowed to give any opinion on anything, right?

Don't you all realize how absurd this all sounds?  What the hell does having a guy who got in trouble have to do with not liking excessive celebrations?  and can we also assume that no other team in the league is allowed to make any comment about excessive celebrations because every single one of them has at least one player who has been in trouble?

And the funniest part is how all of you are acting like Marvin had no problem with Adam's language when in fact he has gone on the record by saying that Adams language was not acceptable and that he has to work on his public image.

Nice to see things haven't changed with you Fred.

Yes, Marvin has accomplished a lot more than me.  Well at least from a financial perspective.
He's been paid a sh*t ton of money to win a Super Bowl.  With that being his main objective as a coach, you could argue that he hasn't accomplished sh*t.

I served this country in our military for 20+ years and have fought in multiple wars.  One might argue that I've accomplished quite a bit in my life to this point.
So maybe he hasn't accomplished more than me ??  Either way, it's a piss poor comment to make to any poster here.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

To be fair, it's not Marvin's call whether Pac stays or goes. He publicly stated he didn't want to bring Chris Henry back and you saw how that turned out.  The Redeemer gonna redeem.

True but he was trying to minimize Pac's actions, he could definitely take a stronger stance against him if he felt inclined to do so. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Marvin makes the claim that he is against celebrations because it is a bad example for children.

Marvin coaches a team in the NFL.  The league has a very spotty reputation for putting up with criminals and other bad actors that are definitely bad examples for children.  Marvin coaches a team in the NFL that has a reputation for putting up with players that break the law.  In fact, he coaches a team which has an owner on record as saying he sees himself as a redeemer.  He thinks people deserve second, third, fourth chances, etc.  Adam Jones is one of those players that has gotten multiple chances after setting a very poor example for children time after time.  Sure, Marvin criticizes Jones, but these things still keep happening to Jones.  

My point, and the point of others, is that Marvin has no business commenting about setting examples for children when the team he coaches gives that zero consideration as it relates to the players it employs.  

Well, technically he doesn't employ any of them. And, I suppose, if you took a poll of "children" (age specific?), the vast majority do not know who Marvin Lewis is, let alone Adam Jones. 

If the corrupt NFL wants to let their paid killers dance for the bread and circus audience, more "children" will notice that, one would think.

1 hour ago, FishHook said:

So maybe he hasn't accomplished more than me ??  Either way, it's a piss poor comment to make to any poster here.

All I did was repeat what you said about Marvin.

If it was "piss poor" for me to say it then it was also "piss poor" for you to make the same comment.

If you don't think anyone is allowed to have an opinion unless they are the best in the world at what they do then you need to stop giving your opinion on anything.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

To me showing compassion and giving a guy a second chance is a better example for our kids than the assholes who act like they are perfect and claim that anyone who makes a mistake at the age of 17 should be banned from making a living for the rest of his life.

What are you going to do if your kid makes a mistake at age 17.  Disown him?  If you don't then does that mean you can never have an opinion about excessive celebrations in football games?

7 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

To me showing compassion and giving a guy a second chance is a better example for our kids than the assholes who act like they are perfect and claim that anyone who makes a mistake at the age of 17 should be banned from making a living for the rest of his life.

What are you going to do if your kid makes a mistake at age 17.  Disown him?  If you don't then does that mean you can never have an opinion about excessive celebrations in football games?

Pacman is 32 years old and has been arrested over 10 times in the past 11 years...it's not some 17 year old making a mistake. Also, this is Pacman's job and the Bengals aren't his real family, they disown guys all the time when they cut them or don't renew their contracts...it's a business not a group home. 

6 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Pacman is 32 years old and has been arrested over 10 times in the past 11 years...it's not some 17 year old making a mistake.

And until this summer he had not been convicted of any crime in over ten years. Then this off season all he did was run his mouth when he got arrested for something he didn't do.  And Marvin condemned that action.

The only reason I mention 17-year-olds is because Mixon's name has popped up in this thread.

Now give me that list of all the NFL teams that do not have asingle player on their roster who has ever been in trouble with the law.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

All I did was repeat what you said about Marvin.

If it was "piss poor" for me to say it then it was also "piss poor" for you to make the same comment.

If you don't think anyone is allowed to have an opinion unless they are the best in the world at what they do then you need to stop giving your opinion on anything.

Being a complete douchebag is something you've crafted quite well over the years Fred.

Supporting those that seemingly can't do what they are paid for and those that are not capable of being a decent human being is also a plus for you.

Keep defending those types of results and people.  I wish you the best.

No worries mods, I'm out.  Thanks again to Go for being a class guy.

14 minutes ago, FishHook said:

Supporting those that seemingly can't do what they are paid for

They are paid to win and they have been doing m ore of that than most other teams in the league the last several years.

I am not satisfied with no playoff wins.  That was not my point.  My point was that if Marvin's opinion is not valid because he has not won a Super Bowl as a head coach (apparently the Super Bowl ring he already has means nothing) then neither is the opinion of anyone here.

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

That is some messed up logic.  Big difference between work and family.  

Compassion has limits.  At some point when you make the same kind of mistakes over and over again there needs to be consequences.  It's also interesting that these bad example players are very talented and could be considered a bargain.  We all know Mr. Brown loves to save money.  Is he really redeeming or getting talent cheap?

Finally, I don't have a problem with Lewis being against the celebrations.  I think his reason is laughable.  

43 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Finally, I don't have a problem with Lewis being against the celebrations.  I think his reason is laughable.  

Marvin's reason for not liking excessive celebrations is that he does not think it is proper for an individual to celebrate a team accomplishment.

Most people around here who don't like celebrations don't really seem to give a valid reason other than "I just don't like it." 

What is your reason for not liking excessive celebrations?

16 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Marvin's reason for not liking excessive celebrations is that he does not think it is proper for an individual to celebrate a team accomplishment.

Most people around here who don't like celebrations don't really seem to give a valid reason other than "I just don't like it." 

What is your reason for not liking excessive celebrations?

It's like most things in the world today as they have to be defined specifically as people take things too far.  What is an excessive celebration?  In the past most folks used some common sense, but then came props and other nonsense which Ocho was the king of the bunch.  I am OK with most celebrations.  I loved the group celebrations, which they banned.  I remember how when a Bengals RB scored a TD he let one of the offensive linemen spike the ball.  I don't mind dances as long as they don't go on too long.  Props and other BS where players plan some kind of Sportscenter moment is too much for me.  Too individual and when a player is more worried about what kind props he needs to get on TV it becomes a distraction.  

I agree with Marvin about individual vs. team.  As I have stated several times I don't think he has any business talking about what is a good example for kids based upon the history of his team.  He works for Brown so he shares the redeemer tag.  If he doesn't like it, quit.  That's how it works in business and the NFL is most definitely a business.

The mission of every professional sports franchise is to entertain the fans,..period.  

Youth sports has a different mission: teaches children the concepts of hard work, training, discipline, and teamwork.  They also entertain their parents and classmates but that is secondary.

In the final analysis, the kids are gonna act as good or as bad as their coach, the NFL doesn't affect that.

Archived