Bengals bring Levon Kirkland in as coaching intern

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/30/bengals-bring-levon-kirkland-in-as-coaching-intern/

Bengals bring Levon Kirkland in as coaching intern

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 30, 2017, 11:59 AM EDT

The Bengals have added five coaches as interns for the offseason, including a guy who knows them well from his days in the AFC North.

The team announced that Levon Kirkland, Aaron Curry, Roderick Plummer, Tory Woodbury, and Jonathan Carr would be with the team as interns as part of the Bill Walsh minority coaching fellowship.

Kirkland, the longtime Steelers linebacker, has also worked as a coaching intern with the Cardinals. He’s currently the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Florida A&M University.

Curry was once viewed as one of the safest picks in the draft, when the Seahawks chose him fourth overall in 2009. He’s now the defensive line coach at Charlotte.

It’s a meaningful program for coach Marvin Lewis since he’s a graduate of it, along with Bengals defensive line coach Jacob Burney.

“I had the opportunity to work in this program when coach Walsh initiated it with the 49ers, and it’s great to see it continue as strong as it is,” Lewis said in a release. “We are happy to have these coaches with us to benefit our staff as well as aid in their development as a coach.”

Some will only be with the team during OTAs to allow them to get back to their day jobs, but it provides access and opportunity for them as they try to advance in their careers.

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I remember that Kirkland looked like a DT (6'1", 270) playing inside LB, and  on the outside they had a guy who looked like a safety (Gregg Lloyd, 6'2", 225).

But they were both total badasses.

Obviously hated the Slealers but loved seeing that huge ILB play.

On 5/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, fredtoast said:

I remember that Kirkland looked like a DT (6'1", 270) playing inside LB, and  on the outside they had a guy who looked like a safety (Gregg Lloyd, 6'2", 225).

But they were both total badasses.

I never realized Lloyd was so small, he played much bigger that. Also guys were a little bit smaller back then, you didn't have quite as many 300 lb players like you do now. 

Archived