Just would like to thank the bengals organization....

nemisis12

For yearsssssss my team lacked a hammer at the safety spot  our gm Reggie finally got it right by signing Reggie nelson. I dont know why you guys didnt resign him he had 8 Ints that year with you guys smh this guy is exactly what we been looking  for since forever.  I cant tell you how many critical third down stops he forced to get our defense off the field. Was it a money issue why you guys didnt resign him? he only      cost 4 mill a year

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Reggie was one of them and hated to see him go (unlike several others). 

I think most people hated to see him go.  But he was getting old and Shawn Williams looked like a good replacement waiting in the wings.

Patriots are called "genius" for letting productive vets go before they fall off the cliff. It is better to let a guy go a year early than a year late.  Especially if you are giving him a brand new contract.  But when the bengals do the exact same thing as the Pats certain fans bitch and moan.

Reggie was one of my favorite players.  The front office absolutley stole him in a trade, but many people don't give them credit for that.  I hated to see him go, but at the same time I felt it was the right move to make.

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

Just looking at PFF grades for 2016, Nelson was 81.3 and Shawn Williams was 80.6. So basically identical.

Williams is 8 years younger ...

I thought you might be trolling with the PFF grades but if you compare their stats (ie, numbers that actually mean something) Williams had about 15 more tackles including a sack, while Nelson had a couple more INTs on the year & twice as many pass break-ups.  

The fact that Oakland played Reg as a FS while Williams is a SS accounts for much of the difference.

My first question to a Raider fan is: where do you live? My second question is: does it matter to you where the Raiders live? 

In Las Vegas, whatever fan base there is, tends to be more LA-oriented. So will whatever fan base they get be holdovers from the LA Raider days, the remnants of their Oakland fan base who like to travel, or mostly the nationwide boutique fan base who just like the stereotypical persona? I have a few Raider fan aquaintances--none of whom have ever been near Los Angeles, Oakland, or even California. A lot of media hype, but not much noticeable sizzle on the ground. 

I could live 20 minutes from their new Pleasure Palace...doubt I would ever spend a dime to watch them. Not real sure how they are going to fill that place with just the locals. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I thought you might be trolling with the PFF grades but if you compare their stats (ie, numbers that actually mean something) Williams had about 15 more tackles including a sack, while Nelson had a couple more INTs on the year & twice as many pass break-ups.  

The fact that Oakland played Reg as a FS while Williams is a SS accounts for much of the difference.

What? PFF sucks but comparing defenders based on stats like tackles and such is really bad too.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

My first question to a Raider fan is: where do you live? My second question is: does it matter to you where the Raiders live? 

1)I live in south florida its about 800 raider fans here collectively between 3 booster clubs. 

2) It doesn't matter where they move im a raiders fan not city fan when they moved to La for that short period of time I was  still a fan.

I know a few people in oakland and they are just sad about the move but  you wont see any of them burn their jersey's. I cant wait until they move to vegas so I can attend their home opener the stadium in oakland is a dump its about time Mark Davis finally got a new stadium.

7 hours ago, happyrid said:

Just looking at PFF grades for 2016, Nelson was 81.3 and Shawn Williams was 80.6. So basically identical.

Williams is 8 years younger ...

Tackles are good but what type of tackles are we talking about?

As a strong safety your going to get tackles because your playing closer to the line of scrimmage but Nelson not only played free safety but they always have him in single high safety sets. He is the last line of defense for him to get tackles 20 yards down the field to pad his  stats mean nothing but he made the pro bowl because of how many times he drove up to the line of scrimmage to lay the hammer on the rb or to break up a pass.

Dude made alot of 3rd down drive killing tackles the raiders dont win 12 games if nelson didnt get the pick in the chargers,Indy, and  the titans game....

7 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

What? PFF sucks but comparing defenders based on stats like tackles and such is really bad too.

A single stat, yeah. A range of stats though? I agree they don't always give a complete picture (Tony Romo comes to mind) but what other objective basis is there for comparing players?

35 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

A single stat, yeah. A range of stats though? I agree they don't always give a complete picture (Tony Romo comes to mind) but what other objective basis is there for comparing players?

Gut instinct and irrational hatred? 

7 hours ago, nemisis12 said:

1)I live in south florida its about 800 raider fans here collectively between 3 booster clubs. 

2) It doesn't matter where they move im a raiders fan not city fan when they moved to La for that short period of time I was  still a fan.

I know a few people in oakland and they are just sad about the move but  you wont see any of them burn their jersey's. I cant wait until they move to vegas so I can attend their home opener the stadium in oakland is a dump its about time Mark Davis finally got a new stadium.

That's cool. Sound like a long-timer.

On the ground here in Las Vegas, I am not feeling the energy. There are "Welcome Raiders" billboards and signs everywhere...and the sports stores have the gear...but there isn't much buzz amongst the locals. It is still over three years until they play--and they haven't broken ground on the stadium yet (which is another issue in and of itself)--so as the time gets closer, the excitement may increase, but for now, it's pretty dormant.

The Raiders have been proactive in getting out the preliminary season ticket/COA buy-in...you can pay a piddly amount now to get your name on the eventual "list", but nothing is binding on either you or them. Haven't really checked out how that has been going.

But, from what I have been seeing, get ready to pay some serious coin to get into that place.

It was probably for posting in the wrong subforum. 

After the initial, "haha you fools let Nelson slip away," you've stuck to X's and O's, which I find to be something this board often lacks.  Thanks for contributing to football conversations.

14 hours ago, nemisis12 said:

Hey Montana Bengal why did you issue me a warning. Where in this post did I talk smack??? I asked a question why did your organization choose not to resign Nelson. (Thats not talking smack bro)

Here you go...

"THE BENGALS FORUM - For Bengals Fans *Only*"

Here is what the NFL should have done with Vegas.  Expand the season to 17 games and have every team play one game in Vegas.

Considering the cheap flights and other attractions of Las Vegas I think there would have been enough fans of two NFL to travel to vegas to fill up a small stadium.  Maybe throw in a Vegas act for the halftime to make it a better bargain. Lots of season ticket holders like to attend one or two away games a year.  I bet a lot of them would have gone to Vegas.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:11 PM, whodey365 said:

Bengals accidentally gave Pac-Man Reggie's money. Reggie was a great safety for us but The Bengals drafted Shawn Williams and he looked great in limited time. Not as good as a starter. He's still young though.

Williams is going into his 5th year and is 26.  He isn't young and should be playing his best football already.  If, as you say, isn't as good as a starter then we will need to start looking.  I happen to think he is pretty good

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Williams is going into his 5th year and is 26.  He isn't young and should be playing his best football already.  If, as you say, isn't as good as a starter then we will need to start looking.  I happen to think he is pretty good

Compared to Reggie, Williams is young. I think he has potential but I'm giving him a pass on his first year as a starter. It took Nelson some time also. He wasn't an immediate bad ass like he has been the past few years in the league. 

Archived