Are the Bengals Super Bowl Contenders? (Article)

Super Bowl?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. So, what do you think? Are the Bengals Super Bowl Contenders?

• Yes
    • Only if the O-line steps up
    • No way

Are Bengals Super Bowl contenders?

Can the Cincinnati Bengals be a Super Bowl contender in 2017?

The idea of the Bengals making a playoff run this year cooled off considerably after a 6-9-1 season in 2016. Despite five straight playoff appearances from 2011 to 2015, there's a lot of skepticism surrounding the team’s chances this year.

A large part of that perception is because of their offensive line issues. The Bengals allowed 41 sacks last season. That was with Pro Bowlers Kevin Zeitler and Andrew Whitworth. Both left in free agency this year.

Zeitler's replacement is Andre Smith, a longtime right tackle for the Bengals who was not pursued heavily by them and signed with the Vikings for one disastrous season. He played in only four games because of injury. At 30, he is now attempting to make the move to guard for the first time in his career.

Whitworth's replacement is Cedric Ogbuehi, who struggled all of last season at right tackle and was forced to share the role with Eric Winston. He didn’t fare much better in one game at left tackle either, which is where he’ll play this season. Jake Fisher will move into Ogbuehi’s spot, leaving Clint Boling and Russell Bodine as the only full-time starters returning.

But what if the dream scenario happened and the offensive line was able to step up this season? Could the Bengals be a Super Bowl contender, or at the very least, return to the playoffs?

Why they could make it back to the playoffs: The Bengals have appeared to resolve some of their problem areas, at least on paper. Linebackers Rey Maualuga and Karlos Dansby were showing their age last season. They’ve been replaced by Kevin Minter, who is only 26 but has enough experience for the Bengals to feel comfortable signing him in free agency.

Nick Vigil, in his second season, probably will be the strongside linebacker. They’ve upgraded in athleticism at the position, and barring injury, Vontaze Burfict should be there from Day 1 after starting last year on suspension. That could be huge for early games.

It’s highly unlikely the Bengals' kicking situation will be as bad as it was in 2016, when it probably cost them a few games. They drafted Jake Elliottin the fifth round and have him competing with Randy Bullock, but it’s probably Elliott’s job to lose. A better kicking situation last year could’ve meant the difference in at least three games.

If all goes well, A.J. Green won’t be putting so much on his shoulders this year. The Bengals have added two dymanic offensive rookies -- Joe Mixonand John Ross, in addition to wide receiver Josh Malone. Ross, if he stays healthy, adds a badly needed speed option, and Mixon gives them a versatile running back who also can catch passes. He’s already an upgrade at that position.

What could hold them back: The Bengals are taking a big chance that Ogbuehi and Fisher step up after showing few signs last year, but clearly they felt confident enough in what they have. Despite having 11 draft picks, they didn’t take an offensive lineman until the fifth round. Smith will have to learn to play guard, and stay healthy.

The Bengals are taking a lot of chances with their offensive line that could have been avoided if they had been able to keep Whitworth or Zeitler. Their depth at that position beyond the starters is suspect.

It’s still possible Adam Jones could be suspended because of his off-the-field conduct. If that were to happen, Darqueze Dennard, who has struggled to live up to his first-round status, or William Jackson III, a promising second-year player who was hurt his rookie season, would be filling in. Jones is also going to be 34 this fall, which is on the older side for a cornerback.

The Bengals have added several promising players on offense, but what about those players who are coming back from injury? Tyler Eifert, who missed half of last season with ankle and back injuries, is recovering from back surgery. Giovani Bernard is recovering from an ACL tear. If those two regain their previous form, the Bengals could have a formidable offense. If they don’t, that’s two big playmakers the team won’t be able to utilize.

The Bengals added some pass-rushers after registering only 41 sacks last year, but with their recent track record of playing defensive rookies sparingly, it’s suspect as to how much they’ll use them.

There’s also the mental aspect. Marvin Lewis is entering the final season of his contract, which could mean lame-duck status this year. The Bengals haven’t reached their full potential under Lewis, and after seven playoff losses, it could be a make-or-break season for him.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Possible but I'd call it a longshot, more on account of the coaches than the roster.  Neither of the OC's or the HC inspire much confidence.

I voted if the line steps up...but this is honestly how I feel..

I don't have any faith in Ole Marv anymore. 

The line stepping up is a huge if.  Consider that Fisher who has shown little is next to Andre Smith who has never played guard and is definitely on the decline.   It looks bad on paper.

Oogie at LT is plain scary.  He has to have made huge strides just to be ok.

Depth at O line almost non existent.

Everything else looks pretty good.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

3rd easiest schedule puts us back in the playoffs but i dont have much confidence in the oline to do anything with that

If they make it that far anything could happen.   

Honestly at this point in the season?  All 32 teams are in it.   Breakout player here, an injury there. Some last-minute roster move for w/e reason or even cut the right player and reset the locker room (ahem).  Not naming any names.

If you can't have hope now?

There are a ton of very talented kids on this team right now. I expect to see a winning record with this roster.

There are certainly question marks with the team though. Hopefully our question marks turn out better than the other 31 teams.

No way.  Both lines are question marks.  The skill players are there, but you don't win in the playoffs without solid line play.  Everyone know the O-line has issues, but the key guys on the D-line are all on the downside of their careers.  Atkins and Dunlop are still very good, but not as good as they once were.  The other two spots don't have players that will scare anyone.

27 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

No way.  Both lines are question marks.  The skill players are there, but you don't win in the playoffs without solid line play.  Everyone know the O-line has issues, but the key guys on the D-line are all on the downside of their careers.  Atkins and Dunlop are still very good, but not as good as they once were.  The other two spots don't have players that will scare anyone.

Hmmm I can understand concern with the o-line, but I'm not sure where you're coming from on the other side of the ball.

Dunlap and Geno were #3 and #10 respectively in pass pressure rating last year, they were #2 and #13 the year before. Dude, Carlos Dunlap was #13 in PDs last year. The next closest linemen on that list is #89. Dunlap had more PD than most of the premier corners and safeties in the entire NFL. He played some of the best football in his life in 2016.

MJ93 is a solid football player, to steal a line from Fred, "he's not as bad as many fans claim". Sure this isn't 4 or 5 years ago where he followed up an 11 sack season with 10 PDs, 2 FF, and some stellar run defending, but he's still a decent to good DE for our scheme. We ask our starting RDE to defend the run as a top priority, and while he had a less than great 2016, I'd think we should give him another year to prove that he's still got something left in the tank.

Will Clarke "broke out" in a sense and flashed with the ability you want to see from a rotational backup end. Working bees like Gilberry and Sims have always performed well in their roles. Peko was a year or two past his expiration date so going with Billings/Sims should be a positive. All of this and I didn't even mention the promising rookies.

You can't have All-Pro caliber players at every position, but I think the d-line is one of the absolute last places to be concerned about right now barring injuries that would make me feel otherwise. Just my $0.02

12-4 record 2nd in the AFC, it will come down to us beating Brady and probably knowing our luck the Stealers in the divisional round.

I think this team is setup to win and win a lot of games, I really don't think the O-line will matter. Dalton get's rid of the ball quick.

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Hmmm I can understand concern with the o-line, but I'm not sure where you're coming from on the other side of the ball.

Dunlap and Geno were #3 and #10 respectively in pass pressure rating last year, they were #2 and #13 the year before. Dude, Carlos Dunlap was #13 in PDs last year. The next closest linemen on that list is #89. Dunlap had more PD than most of the premier corners and safeties in the entire NFL. He played some of the best football in his life in 2016.

MJ93 is a solid football player, to steal a line from Fred, "he's not as bad as many fans claim". Sure this isn't 4 or 5 years ago where he followed up an 11 sack season with 10 PDs, 2 FF, and some stellar run defending, but he's still a decent to good DE for our scheme. We ask our starting RDE to defend the run as a top priority, and while he had a less than great 2016, I'd think we should give him another year to prove that he's still got something left in the tank.

Will Clarke "broke out" in a sense and flashed with the ability you want to see from a rotational backup end. Working bees like Gilberry and Sims have always performed well in their roles. Peko was a year or two past his expiration date so going with Billings/Sims should be a positive. All of this and I didn't even mention the promising rookies.

You can't have All-Pro caliber players at every position, but I think the d-line is one of the absolute last places to be concerned about right now barring injuries that would make me feel otherwise. Just my $0.02

Liked Clarke, but when you have three starters approaching 30 you need to know things could go south at any time.  I'm not all that high on Johnson and our second DT needs to do a much better job keeping linemen off the LBs.  Atkins and Dunlop are nice players, but they aren't getting better and the likelihood of them getting worse or injured goes up every year.

5 hours ago, turningpoint said:

12-4 record 2nd in the AFC, it will come down to us beating Brady and probably knowing our luck the Stealers in the divisional round.

I think this team is setup to win and win a lot of games, I really don't think the O-line will matter. Dalton get's rid of the ball quick.

Don't see how you can say that the o-line won't matter, all o-line's matter.  

Dalton's release time doesn't help get big plays in the passing game and makes the offense predictable, if every opposing defense knows he will get rid of the ball in under 2.5 or whatever secs they will play the WR's close and look to make a play before they count to 3.  

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Don't see how you can say that the o-line won't matter, all o-line's matter.  

Dalton's release time doesn't help get big plays in the passing game and makes the offense predictable, if every opposing defense knows he will get rid of the ball in under 2.5 or whatever secs they will play the WR's close and look to make a play before they count to 3.  

If they play close to Ross they will get torched.

53 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Pretty much, that. Efeirt, Ross green will make offense unstoppable imo.

53 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Pretty much, that. Efeirt, Ross green will make offense unstoppable imo.

With Eif, Green, Gio, Ross, Boyd, Hill (yes Hill), LaFell, Mixon, Andy, and Hewitt, I really don't think it's going to matter too much.  This Offense will be better than 2015's. I also think the Defense is going to be better with Tez there the whole year.

5 hours ago, cincity said:

With Eif, Green, Gio, Ross, Boyd, Hill (yes Hill), LaFell, Mixon, Andy, and Hewitt, I really don't think it's going to matter too much.  This Offense will be better than 2015's. I also think the Defense is going to be better with Tez there the whole year.

If the O-line is even just average this could be the best Bengals O since 1988.

One of the biggest question marks on Ross is how he'll handle press coverage.

No NFL offense is "unstoppable", and I've had to hear from fans across various platforms every single year how so and so joining the team is going to mean our guys can't be covered. The reality is NFL teams have NFL caliber defenses and NFL caliber coaches that know exactly how to handle our offense.

The nonsensical, over the top positive hyperbole is just as obnoxious as the "omg we'll never win a game!!1!1" crowd.

Archived