Are the Bengals Super Bowl Contenders? (Article)

Super Bowl?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. So, what do you think? Are the Bengals Super Bowl Contenders?

• Yes
    • Only if the O-line steps up
    • No way

13 hours ago, Jason said:

If they play close to Ross they will get torched.

Not sure how you can say that when Ross hasn't played a game yet in the NFL and in college he struggled vs. press coverage. When he played Alabama in the Bowl game this year he was held to 5 catches for 28 yards, they play a lot of press man to man coverage he didn't torch anyone. If he couldn't do it college why do you assume he can do it so easily in the NFL?

8 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Pretty much, that. Efeirt, Ross green will make offense unstoppable imo.

Eifert is often hurt, has only played in 22 games in the last 3 years, and is currently unable to participate in minicamps due to injury. Counting on him and a rookie to make our offense "unstoppable" is just not logical, imo.  

I think Mixon will have the largest impact on our offense, more so than Ross.  

16 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Not sure how you can say that when Ross hasn't played a game yet in the NFL and in college he struggled vs. press coverage. When he played Alabama in the Bowl game this year he was held to 5 catches for 28 yards, they play a lot of press man to man coverage he didn't torch anyone. If he couldn't do it college why do you assume he can do it so easily in the NFL?

Eifert is often hurt, has only played in 22 games in the last 3 years, and is currently unable to participate in minicamps due to injury. Counting on him and a rookie to make our offense "unstoppable" is just not logical, imo.  

And Mixon is NOT running behind the Dallas O Line like Elliot did last season.  If the O Line struggles, so will he.

59 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And Mixon is NOT running behind the Dallas O Line like Elliot did last season.  If the O Line struggles, so will he.

But the Bengals are going to be awesome because Hobson said so!!!!!

We're going to average 60 pts a game and score a TD on every possession, just like I do in Madden. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Ross is now out until August due to shoulder.  We should start a pool to guess when he hits the field.  Not good for those counting on him to make an immediate impact.

I said a month ago I think he will start the season on the PUP, this injury will put him behind in development and I'm sure the Bengals would rather him be fully healthy then rush him onto the field and have him get hurt again. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Ross was also Washington's #1 weapon and they could press him and give him over the top coverage. If they do that here AJ Green or Tyler Eifert is going to light them up.  

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Ross is now out until August due to shoulder.  We should start a pool to guess when he hits the field.  Not good for those counting on him to make an immediate impact.

And Eifert may not be ready when training camp begins either.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Ross was also Washington's #1 weapon and they could press him and give him over the top coverage. If they do that here AJ Green or Tyler Eifert is going to light them up.  

He has to prove he can beat press coverage and make big plays in the NFL before they start double teaming him in the NFL, imo.

They aren't going to give him the superstar treatment based on what he did in the PAC-10, he's going to have to prove he can consistently beat a physical press coverage before he starts demanding a double team. 

Imo, the guy who will have the biggest effect on the offense is Mixon, he's going to force a safety into the box and make it easier for Green and if healthy Eifert to have favorable matchups. Ross is nothing more than a maybe at this point, he can't even practice to show what he can do in shorts. 

I always lol @ "development" worries when it comes to some rookie missing time from TC or pre-season games. Even if they play every minute of every practice and every game, they are naturally "behind" because they haven't seen regular season PT. But...even rookies who have missed a lot of time (like AJ out three games in his rookie year) have blown out of the box like they have been there forever. Missing time, or playing all the time, is not an exact science when estimating what they will do.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I always lol @ "development" worries when it comes to some rookie missing time from TC or pre-season games. Even if they play every minute of every practice and every game, they are naturally "behind" because they haven't seen regular season PT. But...even rookies who have missed a lot of time (like AJ out three games in his rookie year) have blown out of the box like they have been there forever. Missing time, or playing all the time, is not an exact science when estimating what they will do.

It's not an exact science, but comparing a player to Green or Beckham is foolish.  Those two are freaks.  Most WRs need some time to learn.  

20 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

1980...6 wins (following 2 straight 4 win seasons)

1981...Super Bowl

1987...4 wins

1988...Super Bowl

2001....6 wins (following 2 straight 4 win seasons)

2002....2 wins!!!!

1992....5 wins

1993....3 wins!!!!

Just as logical.

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

2002....2 wins!!!!

1992....5 wins

1993....3 wins!!!!

Just as logical.

Except this team is far more talented than the best team you could assemble from the lost decade.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Except this team is far more talented than the best team you could assemble from the lost decade.

This team also has many more weak spots than the teams from the 80s.

My point is what has happened in the past has no relationship upon what will happen in the future.  This team is completely different than the teams from the 80s, 90s and 2000s.  

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

2002....2 wins!!!!

1992....5 wins

1993....3 wins!!!!

Just as logical.

My fault for not making myself clear.

I was simply saying that despite the fact we only won 6 games last year it is still very possible for us to go to the Super Bowl.

I never meant to imply that coming off a losing season made it any more likely that we would go to the Super Bowl.

BTW since Marvin became the Bengals head coach there have been 6 teams that made it to the Super Bowl despite not having a winning record the previous season.  These include the Falcons who in '15 only won 8 games and had the fans calling for OC Kyle Shanahan to be fired.

9 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

What's with the filibuster on negativity? Would it be better if everyone just submits and says "I am so happy it's 1993 again"? 

To be fair, the thread is about whether we're Super Bowl contenders, not whether we're a good team or not. The fact that we haven't been able to beat teams led by QBs like TJ Yates, Mark Sanchez, or Matt Schaub for a single playoff win in 25 years is going to bring some amount of legitimate negativity in a discussion regarding Super Bowl contention. Especially after a 6 win season followed by losing our 2 best o-linemen.

Also to be fair, some of these guys are just negative about almost anything Bengals related, so I understand that frustration, I just see there being more room for negativity in a thread that's specifically talking about Super Bowl contention. Are we a good team? Yes. Can we handle the best of the best with everything on the line? I'm not really sure, I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it right now.

Archived