DC and Maryland suing Trump

Go Skins

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dc-and-maryland-to-sue-president-trump-alleging-breach-of-constitutional-oath/ar-BBCx55U?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Attorneys general for the District of Columbia and the state of Maryland say they will sue President Trump on Monday, alleging that he has violated anti-corruption clauses in the Constitution by accepting millions in payments and benefits from foreign governments since moving into the White House.

The lawsuit, the first of its kind brought by government entities, centers on the fact that Trump chose to retain ownership of his company when he became president. Trump said in January that he was shifting his business assets into a trust managed by his sons to eliminate potential conflicts of interests.

But D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine (D) and Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh (D) say Trump has broken many promises to keep separate his public duties and private business interests. For one, his son Eric Trump has said the president would continue to receive regular updates about his company’s financial health.

The lawsuit, a signed copy of which Racine and Frosh provided to The Washington Post on Sunday night, alleges “unprecedented constitutional violations” by Trump. The suit says Trump’s continued ownership of a global business empire has rendered the president “deeply enmeshed with a legion of foreign and domestic government actors” and has undermined the integrity of the U.S. political system.

“Fundamental to a President’s fidelity to [faithfully execute his oath of office] is the Constitution’s demand that the President ... disentangle his private finances from those of domestic and foreign powers. Never before has a President acted with such disregard for this constitutional prescription.”

9 hours ago, bfine said:

I got to give the left credit; they are persistent. I wonder if they have the energy and creativity to keep it up for the next 3-7 years. 

Right but this is an issue brought forth by two state (or not state in DC's case) governments. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Right but this is an issue brought forth by two state (or not state in DC's case) governments. 

Yes by the Attorneys General of those states/municipalities. Now the next question is; What do those Attorneys General have in common? 

10 minutes ago, bfine said:

Yes by the Attorneys General of those states/municipalities. Now the next question is; What do those Attorneys General have in common? 

Doesn't matter if they believe they have a case.

53 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

This isn't difficult, if the states believe they have a case they have the right to bring it to court, and as such the court will decide if they do or not.

...and the taxpayers can pay for their partisan motives.

5 minutes ago, bfine said:

...and the taxpayers can pay for their partisan motives.

I would suggest that there is a clear difference between whether or not an Investigation or Lawsuit should go forward on tax payer money, if it has merit, because after all, what is the point of having checks and balances, if we dont't use them?

Or if partisan motives on tax payer dollars cause Investigations and hearings.....after hearings.....after hearings.... when the first one found no fault.

#Benghazi

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I would suggest that there is a clear difference between whether or not an Investigation or Lawsuit should go forward on tax payer money, if it has merit, because after all, what is the point of having checks and balances, if we dont't use them?

Or if partisan motives on tax payer dollars cause Investigations and hearings.....after hearings.....after hearings.... when the first one found no fault.

#Benghazi

...or #Russia.

It's nothing new. It's just we as citizens condone the action if the subject of the investigation is someone we want to see reprimanded; yet, we condemn it if the subject is someone we do not want to see reprimanded. "merit" be damn..

2 minutes ago, bfine said:

...or #Russia.

It's nothing new. It's just we as citizens condone the action if the subject of the investigation is someone we want to see reprimanded; yet, we condemn it if the subject is someone we do not want to see reprimanded. "merit" be damn..

And if the Russian investigation turns up nothing the first time and they keep investigating and keep having hearings then I will agree with you.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

And if the Russian investigation turns up nothing the first time and they keep investigating and keep having hearings then I will agree with you.

Bengazi was a terrific waste of time, money, and resources; but when the deaths are high-vis such as that folks feel the need to grandstand. I was close to a similar incident way back in Desert Storm. Senator Fred Thompson lead the inquiry because a kid from his state was killed in a fratricide incident.

Now investigating Hills on her email(s) is a totally different situation and one for which I feel she should pay.

Archived