Notes: emotional Ross graduates; Mixon down to 229; Dielman set to be cleared

No. 1 pick John Ross is back in the house for the Bengals’ three-day mandatory minicamp after spending the past month preparing for last Saturday’s graduation from the University of Washington. He can still feel the emotion of it as the first member of his family to get a college degree.

“I woke up that day and I wasn’t that excited. My brother said, ‘I’m more excited than you,”’ Ross said. “Then I got to the stadium and saw the other students and I said, ‘I’m really graduating.’ The other students wanted to take pictures with me. I was taking pictures with anybody and everyone. I had an amazing day.”

Ross is rehabbing his shoulder and won’t catch balls this week. But he says he can run now and run routes after he walked through routes last month.

“I’m just waiting on the plan right now.  What they have ready and feeling everything out,” Ross said. “I can run now. If it was up to me I’d be there catching. It’s tough when you feel good and you’re not good. I learned that a long time ago."

Ross, who majored in American Ethnic Studies, hosted his parents in Seattle for his graduation after they drove 16 hours from California."It was probably bigger than getting drafted in my opinion, just because I feel like it’s something that can’t be taken away from you," Ross said. "It was something for my family. I was the first generation to graduate in my family so it was pretty big for me and everybody. I’ve been playing football all my life and you never know what can happen with that, but with school it’s more of an effort thing. It’s something that’s easier to come by than anything, but it’s also not easy if that makes any sense.”

Ross got on a plane Sunday for this camp and admitted he had a tough time without football while trying to finish off the degree. 'Honestly, to finally be done with school, it’s like I can take a deep breath and relax," Ross said. "Instead of writing a paper, I can look at my playbook for extra hours. I had a 10-page paper and a seven-page paper due last week. Just to be on a plane doing that, get off a plane, do another paper and have to study for finals, it was just so much. It was lot on my plate."

For the record that last paper was devoted to how the current migration of Asian-Americans has been affected by the previous generation's experiences. Now he has to catch up on his wide receiver patterns.

"I can look at the play book all day long," Ross said. "But if it's not explained to me how they want it, it is totally different." ...

No. 2 pick Joe Mixon got the tip of the hat from head coach Marvin Lewis. He  said at the rookie minicamp that the Oklahoma running back needed to work on his conditioning and Mixon says  he's dropped ten pounds to get to 229."I've never been that big. Honestly I was just working out hard and lifting heavy, so I started bulking up," Mixon said before Tuesday's practice. "Once I started running a lot, I started trimming down. At the end of the day, it's all football. Lifting and all that stuff is good, but if you (don't have) it on the field, all that other stuff doesn't matter.

"I want to play about 223-228, 230 at the most. Be enough of a load but still be fast. I'll find a happy medium. Once I figure that out we'll go from there. Right now I feel great."

Mixon said he cut out bread and just put in the miles, mainly a lot of sets of 100-yards sprints.

Rookie center J.J. Dielman, a fifth-rounder out of Utah who has been sidelined since mid season with a foot injury, says he’ll be cleared for the start of training camp. They’ve kept him out of live scrimmages, but he has been doing individual drills at center and guard and thinks he can play every line position. He played them all at Utah and says the adjustment from center to guard (where he played as a freshman) isn’t as drastic as the move from tackle to center, which he did his senior year when he played center for the first time after playing tackle as a junior.

His favorite spot is center and he admits he wonders how good he can be if he got drafted after playing it for only a year.

“I might be really good. We’ll see,” Dielman said. “I wouldn’t say you run the show (at center), but you definitely have a little more control. It’s just not physical like at guard and tackle. You have the mental part as well.” ....

Those who still rehabbing and not in practice but looking ready for training camp at some point besides Ross and Dielman are running back Giovani Bernard (ACL) and tight end Tyler Eifert (back), as well as rookie safety Brandon Wilson (knee).

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-emotional-Ross-graduates-Mixon-down-to-229-Dielman-set-to-be-cleared/e90fb90d-618f-431b-a168-7b673bc36cc9

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Dillon....43rd pick

Mixon....48th pick

36 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Don't forget about speaking with their fist, both guys will smack a woman if she gets too mouthy

Both had just over 1800 yards from scrimmage their final year in College

Both were born on the 24th day of the month

Both wore/will wear #28

Both drafted in years that end in 7

What other similarities can we find?

22 minutes ago, bfine said:

Both had just over 1800 yards from scrimmage their final year in College

Both were born on the 24th day of the month

Both wore/will wear #28

Both drafted in years that end in 7

both are black

...:popcorn:  ... continue

5 hours ago, bfine said:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bengals-dillon-arrested/

Cincinnati Bengals running back Corey Dillon missed practice Monday following his weekend arrest in a Seattle suburb after his wife was assaulted.

Police said the former University of Washington standout was arrested Saturday afternoon after officers responded to a domestic violence complaint at a Federal Way, Wash., address.

On 6/16/2017 at 10:21 PM, fredtoast said:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bengals-dillon-arrested/

Cincinnati Bengals running back Corey Dillon missed practice Monday following his weekend arrest in a Seattle suburb after his wife was assaulted.

Police said the former University of Washington standout was arrested Saturday afternoon after officers responded to a domestic violence complaint at a Federal Way, Wash., address.

Aww the good ol' days before the Ray Rice video when a guy could beat up his wife on the weekend and be rewarded with not having to practice on Monday. Remember when Dillon went to the Pats and turned into a media darling. 

Right from day one Dillon's new teammates, coaches and support staff assured him they would not hold anything that happened in Cincinnati against him. "As soon as I got here they said, 'Corey, we're really not concerned about what happened in Cincinnati. Just as long as you get here and be positive and work hard, you'll be fine,'" he offered. "And that's what I did."Read

Dillon also made a conscious effort to be more accessible to the media upon his arrival in New England, something he had struggled with in the past. "Going into a new situation, you don't want to have stuff reoccur," he commented. "Something that I learned from my time in Cincinnati was just to be more personal with the media and just go in there and try to do my best," he said. "I think I got a bad label. Some of the times, I wouldn't speak to the media, and a lot of times I had good reason not to. As I came here, I just wanted to turn a new leaf."

http://www.patriots.com/news/2005/02/03/corey-dillon-no-longer-problem-child

Winning is definitely the best perfume...

On 6/19/2017 at 10:45 AM, PatternMaster said:

Aww the good ol' days before the Ray Rice video when a guy could beat up his wife on the weekend and be rewarded with not having to practice on Monday. Remember when Dillon went to the Pats and turned into a media darling. 

Winning is definitely the best perfume...

Imagine if Hernandez had played for Cincinnati.  We'd never hear the end of it. 

He played for #teamslikethePatriots, though, so it's all "oh did we draft a gang-banger that killed one or more people? gee that's sad hey check out our trophy case!"  

Just another team Doing Things the Right Way, because if you win a couple of championships everything you do is automatically "The Right Way".

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Imagine if Hernandez had played for Cincinnati.  We'd never hear the end of it. 

He played for #teamslikethePatriots, though, so it's all "oh did we draft a gang-banger that killed one or more people? gee that's sad hey check out our trophy case!"  

Just another team Doing Things the Right Way, because if you win a couple of championships everything you do is automatically "The Right Way".

Looks that way doesn't it? I don't know who they think they are fooling.

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

Looks that way doesn't it? I don't know who they think they are fooling.

Judging by how much money the NFL generates?  I don't think it's that they're "fooling" people really.  I think the fans generally don't care.  It doesn't have to be true or fair so long as it entertains.  

On 6/17/2017 at 8:06 AM, T-Dub said:

Not like I know the guy but CD always seemed mad at the world to me.

I met him a few times... That's pretty accurate with what I saw, and about half of them were public events where he should have been pretty chill. Dude didn't just seem to be unhappy to be there... Parents would come up to get their kid's stuff signed and CD is just glaring at them like they just ran over his mom. You'd go get a burger with the guy and you could almost feel the undercurrent of rage emanating off of him. CD smiled like a guy thinking "Ya, that's right, walk away you little b****". His SMILES were hostile.

Steve Foley was a HOSTILE MF'er who looked like skin wrapped around a pile of old rebar and rocks, and he found CD scary.

49 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Good thing we're all fans of #teamslikethebengals instead so we can sit around and whine about how the league is out to get us at every possible angle you can take

:20: :20: :20:

Come on man, it's painfully obvious certain teams get the short end of bad calls etc.more often than ones that bring a larger audience to the NFL.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Come on man, it's painfully obvious certain teams get the short end of bad calls etc.more often than ones that bring a larger audience to the NFL.

I don't know, I've seen every team in the league get their share of bad calls and media scrutiny. Hell, the NFL has hammered the Patriots on some of the most petty bullshit I've seen in my life.

The Cowboys don't get beat up by the media because they don't have a bunch of shithead players doing shithead things. Same with the Jaguars but they aren't large market media darlings. The common denominator in who gets "picked on" is the amount of shit head players, not the size of the market. I wish more people would come to that realization.

As far as bad calls go, Bengals fans focus on Bengals bad calls and have an extreme bias. Same with other fanbases. I'd bet that you (and most others here) would list teams that get an "unfair advantage" and then I'd bet those are your least favorite teams. I bet your favorite teams are the ones that get the majority "bad calls". It's the way it is, objectivity is rare, and that's fine, I just wish more people could see that it's mostly bias in your own eyes and not some NFL conspiracy (someone is going to lose their fucking mind over that word). NFL officials are definitely inconsistent, I say that a lot, but that doesn't mean that it's proof that there is some kind of bias. You're free to believe what you'd like, but IMO they're just inconsistent because they get to play by a subjective set of rules, where other folks see those subjective rules as a tool for Goodell to use against the small market Bengals.

I don't know man. It just seems all too coincidental. I grew up with a brother who is a Detroit fan. I saw them get hosed bad all the time too. As recently as a year or 3 ago they got fucked over badly against the Cowboys in a playoff game. It wasn't because of a shithead player either.

Archived