'New' Truck

Not super exciting, but cool for me none-the-less.  I have been looking for an older truck to use to haul stuff and as a backup vehicle.  Turns out I was able to score a 99' Silverado 4x4 for $800 bucks.  It was on the university surplus site for $1500 (so I offered less).  Usually there are trucks with bad engines and it isn't a page that gets hit very often.  There are few small issues that are easily fixable, but I'm pretty happy.  Out here I could turn it around and sell it for a good profit.  

20170616_165029.jpg

Looks like one helluva deal to me, congrats.  Nice score on a great looking truck.  I have an older body style '97 Silverado 4x4 that has served me really, really well.  It's starting to rust badly though, both externally and fun stuff like brake lines, fuel lines, trans cooler lines, tailgate mechanism, etc., so it's getting to me with maintenance costs.  I'd love to upgrade to a newer model, but prices on used 4x4 trucks are high around here and it's not a primary vehicle so I can't justify much.

Just now, esjbh2 said:

Looks like one helluva deal to me, congrats.  Nice score on a great looking truck.  I have an older body style '97 Silverado 4x4 that has served me really, really well.  It's starting to rust badly though, both externally and fun stuff like brake lines, fuel lines, trans cooler lines, tailgate mechanism, etc., so it's getting to me with maintenance costs.  I'd love to upgrade to a newer model, but prices on used 4x4 trucks are high around here and it's not a primary vehicle so I can't justify much.

That is what I found here.  Prices are really high and I was just happy to have a 4x4.  Good news is this one has very little rust (not much humidity here) and usually they use dirt (not salt or chemicals) on the road.  I did spend about 5 bucks on random parts (tailgate handle needed replaced, I have to replace the windshield wiper line, etc).  Super happy overall.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, ronthan said:

Nice truck! Any future mod plans? It can be a good off-road machine by adding a suspension lift, bigger tires, new shocks, etc. Had a '98 Silverado and had no major issues with it. I sold it because I bought a 2012 F150.

At this point - I'm keeping it very simple.  We built a house last October and there have been some more pressing things I've had to address with that.

There we a number of little things that I needed to fix (spare tire wouldn't lower, lock on the passenger side wasn't working, missing an antenna, etc.etc.)  I did just pop in a 'scratch and dent' stereo last night from Crutchfield.  Looks like the box was basically dented and it works better than the original.  Took me all of about 10 minutes.  Very basic unit, but at least I can stream bluetooth and make some calls). 

15 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

It may be in some areas.  Probably more of a reflection of my age and where I spend my time.

I've seen plenty of trucks with the modded vertical exhaust pipes but only one so far blowing clouds.  He was doing 15-20 under on a 2 lane road then flooring it when people tried to pass while also throwing fast food trash out his window at them.  Hard to imagine a more literal waste of oxygen walking the planet. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Back to the OT.

Looks to me like Montana got a steal for $800.  That truck looks fantastic for a '99.  If it runs at all he could double his money without lifting a finger.

At least double!  It has already paid off for us.  Did a new fence, gravels, etc on the 'new' house.

edit:  just passed 1 year on the house

• 3 weeks later...

I see that all the time here in Pennsitucky. We have annual emissions inspections here so I am not sure how they get away with it. I don't really care about the politics of it, but it does create a safety hazard. Add that to the ubiquitous stealer sticker on the bumper and you have your average hill billy yinzer.  

Archived