Sign in to follow this  
bengalfanatl

50 greatest Moments in Bengals History

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Stanley Wilson could have handled those carries and been pretty close to the same.

Wrong.

Stanley Wilson had 112 carries that year and averaged 3.6 per.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Wrong.

Lol. Awesome with the stats!

Two of my favorite moments:

The comeback drive against the Steelers at home on 9/27/2009....Brian Leonard's diving first down run on fourth down and long...swept the division

The comeback against Seattle in the 2015 season that I personally attended. What a great game that was!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Two of my favorite moments:

The comeback drive against the Stealers at home on 9/27/2009....Brian Leonard's diving first down run on fourth down and long...swept the division

The comeback against Seattle in the 2015 season that I personally attended. What a great game that was!

My favorite "moments I was there for":

Beating Houston in the 1990/91 playoffs.

Comeback against Green Bay in 2013.

That fight that Whitworth got into with Henderson was pretty epic. Henderson was trying to gouge Whit's eyes out because Whit was owning his punk ass. IIRC both were ejected. I wish I could find video of that. I guess it doesn't exist anymore, or my google-fu is weak.

• Upvote 1

This fight with Whitworth was pretty epic. In fact, drafting Whit was one of the top 50 moments in Bengals history...he was the second best LT we've ever had, and I don't think he's that far behind Munoz.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap2000000100473/Tensions-run-high-in-Raiders-Bengals-game

• Upvote 1

I feel bad for not mentioning this before.

10-11-09........Bengals defense shuts down Ravens in a huge road win just three days after the death of Vickie Zimmer.

I am old enough to remember both of our Super Bowl runs, but I have never been prouder of my team than on that day.

16 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I feel bad for not mentioning this before.

10-11-09........Bengals defense shuts down Ravens in a huge road win just three days after the death of Vickie Zimmer.

I am old enough to remember both of our Super Bowl runs, but I have never been prouder of my team than on that day.

That was a great day.  I was already a Zimmer fan, but that moment sealed the deal.

19 hours ago, fredtoast said:

You have to be kidding.  Woods led the entire league in yards per carry (5.3) and was only one rushing td short of leading the league.

OK...go look at his game logs: he was very ordinary his first 5 games--yet the team went 5-0. He had that breakout game against the Jets (where the Shuffle was born) but the Bengals would have snuffed them anyway that day--I didn't miss a game at home that season. He had a good to great final half of the year, but the team went 6-4. He had a superior playoff run, but so did the team. 

I will never believe the '88 team won primarily because of Elbert--but he was a significant contributor. 

15 hours ago, Bunghole said:

That fight that Whitworth got into with Henderson was pretty epic. Henderson was trying to gouge Whit's eyes out because Whit was owning his punk ass. IIRC both were ejected. I wish I could find video of that. I guess it doesn't exist anymore, or my google-fu is weak.

Epic call by you.

I remember Whit being cheered as he left the field, throwing a victorious fist into the air just before he entered the tunnel and the crowd went wild.  Bon temps.

17 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I was there with a couple buddies. Around the end of the 3rd quarter they were about ready to leave. Luckily I wasn't. That game was awesome. The stadium was so loud by the end it was shaking. One of my favorites. 

15 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Epic call by you.

I remember Whit being cheered as he left the field, throwing a victorious fist into the air just before he entered the tunnel and the crowd went wild.  Bon temps.

Replacing Whit as a blocker is going to be hard enough, but it's that kind of stuff where he's really going to be missed.  I swear MB's martyr complex rubs off on the team.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I swear MB's martyr complex rubs off on the team.

Maybe I'm stupid but I don't quite understand this part.

On 6/23/2017 at 5:17 PM, Bunghole said:

This fight with Whitworth was pretty epic. In fact, drafting Whit was one of the top 50 moments in Bengals history...he was the second best LT we've ever had, and I don't think he's that far behind Munoz.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap2000000100473/Tensions-run-high-in-Raiders-Bengals-game

There was another video of the Bengal's guys on the bench afterwards, BJGE is telling Dalton to just stay out of it, it was pretty funny...

On 6/23/2017 at 11:01 AM, fredtoast said:

Wrong.

Wilson was also used as the short yardage back, so he didn't get the same kinds of carries.  Lies, damn lies and statistics.  The offense was loaded and losing Woods wouldn't have been a backbreaker.  

On 6/25/2017 at 9:26 AM, schotzee said:

Maybe I'm stupid but I don't quite understand this part.

IMO, whenever a game is going well, there's a sense that they're waiting for the other shoe to drop.  MB's "redeemer" crap makes me think he sees himself as some kind of persecuted moral compass for the NFL.  That may even be true, but when that's combined with Marv's passive clap-clap-clap stuff that sense of being a victim gets amplified and becomes part of the team's identity.

Point being that Whit getting ejected in that game was him refusing to play that victim, it rallied the team & fans, just an all-around awesome example being set by him.  Marvin criticized him for it after the game, generally doesn't stand up for his players, and IMO lost credibility with the team when MB made him bring Chris Henry back.  If you know your boss can't fire you, he's not really your boss anymore. 

Kind of a shotgun explanation there but you get the idea, hopefully.  Point being that we've gone from Whitworth to Pacman as the voice of the locker room.  That ain't good.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That may even be true, but when that's combined with Marv's passive clap-clap-clap stuff that sense of being a victim gets amplified and becomes part of the team's identity.

So how do you explain the end of the last playoff loss against the Stealers?

Bengals diudn't act like passive victims then.

So much so, the league made several rule changes (after the horse left the barn of course) due to our non-passivity in the protests against non-catches, head shots to the chins of running backs, and coaches on the field "attending to their injured players".

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

So how do you explain the end of the last playoff loss against the Stealers?

Bengals diudn't act like passive victims then.

That's a really good example, actually.  I say that game got out of hand when Gio got targeted.  If Marvin pitches a fit right then instead of idly clap-clap-clapping and handing out extra vaseline on the sideline it never gets to that point.  After that it wasn't really a football game anymore, just two groups of guys trying to hurt one another.  Now, that's fine when it's only Pittsburgh doing it - that's good ol-fashun blahblahblah.  Once the Bengals retaliated in kind, though, it was a problem. Buncha thugs.

Point being that instead of acknowledging and trying to direct the team's anger, Marvin once again tried to make them grab their ankles.  Naturally the team wasn't having any of that, the body language was 100% "sick of your shit, coach" and the resulting penalties from their retaliation cost us the game.

Of course it's worth noting that this is exactly what the NFL wanted.  The refs could've curbed it at any point - issued a warning to both sidelines, then ejected the next players that so much as shoved each other after a whistle.  Even a PeeWee ref knows how to chill that shit out. Instead they turned a blind eye to most of it, then threw game-changing penalties when it suited them.  I guess you could say it was just a bad ref crew, except that the NFL sent us the same crew for the next Pittsburgh match-up.  No agenda there of course, ignore the tinfoil-hat-conspiracy etc etc and gimme a dime on Bengals and the over.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:01 PM, T-Dub said:

but when that's combined with Marv's passive clap-clap-clap stuff that sense of being a victim gets amplified and becomes part of the team's identity.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Naturally the team wasn't having any of that, the body language was 100% "sick of your shit, coach" and the resulting penalties from their retaliation cost us the game.

So let me get this straight.

The Bengals are bad because Marvin has given them a passive identity except when they aren't passive and that is Marvins fault also.

Brilliant logic.  Why don't you save yourself a lot of typing and just cut and paste the following quote into every thread.

"Anything the Bengals do that is bad is 100% Marvins fault and Marvin gets zero credit for anything positive"  It sound kind of generic bnut at least you don't end up looking stupid by completely contradicting yourself from one post to the next.

18 hours ago, fredtoast said:

So let me get this straight.

The Bengals are bad because Marvin has given them a passive identity except when they aren't passive and that is Marvins fault also.

Brilliant logic.  Why don't you save yourself a lot of typing and just cut and paste the following quote into every thread.

"Anything the Bengals do that is bad is 100% Marvins fault and Marvin gets zero credit for anything positive"  It sound kind of generic bnut at least you don't end up looking stupid by completely contradicting yourself from one post to the next.

One thing leads to another.  If you're too dense to follow that, that's your problem. 

Nice effort on the trollbait, though.  I continue to see improvement & that's a good thing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

Fred's owning you dub from my standpoint.

Oh no, I got "owned" on the interwebs!  "FredToast" called me stupid!

:cry-min:

I understand though, it's the offseason and petty name-calling is all this place has going.