Eric Winston testing new technology-driven football helmet

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/17/15814680/eric-winston-technology-driven-football-helmet

Winston is testing out a new helmet that could help increase player safety. After all, Winston is the president of the NFLPA, and he’s always striving to make the game better for his NFL brethren.

The latest example of such involves new helmets created by the Seattle-based company VICIS, which Winston is giving a test run during the offseason workouts. The highly-engineeded helmet is intended to be worn by football players to reduce impact forces. VICIS claims the helmet mitigates linear and rotational impact forces with multiple layers that work together to slow impact forces. While there's no helmet that could prevent a concussion, a helmet with this intention could increase player safety when it comes to head injuries.

“I saw how it finished in the testing results and figured I’d give it a go and see how it felt,” Winston told The Cincinnati Enquirer. “I was going to test it for feel and vision and things like that. It feels pretty good. I like it. I never actually never liked the way the regular helmets felt that much, so this has been a little bit of a plus for me. It’s a little heavier, but we’ll see how it stands up when we start hitting.”

Cincinnati Reds minority owner Harry Fath has been investing in this helmet startup company, according to Forbes, which also proved some background on the helmet titled ZERO1:

The ZERO1 football helmet boasts of multiple layers intended to slow impact forces and mitigate collisions from multiple directions. It recently received the top score in an NFL/NFL Players Association Helmet Laboratory Performance Testing program, wherein independent biochemical experts were tasked with determining which helmets are best at reducing overall head impact severity. The ZERO1 performed better than thirty-two different helmets, including those provided by popular manufacturers Riddell, Schutt and Xenith.

Winston isn’t trying this because he’s the NFLPA president. Instead, Winston truly believes this helmet could help protect him better and ensure he has a thriving life after football.

“This was an individual decision and an individual choice,” Winston said. “I want to be able to protect myself and at the same time play well, and as of right now, the helmet has allowed me to do that.”

Archived