Sign Marvin to an extension now!!

Make it contingent on a certain criteria having to be met. Example being at least make it to the AFC championship. If not contract could be voided for future year or years. Would take away his lame duck status essentially and would leave Mike an out on paying a coach that was fired. Has this ever been talked about? Forgive me if it has and I missed it! Any thoughts on this?

Looking at it from a signee's POV, I would never agree to it on that or similar qualifiers. Too many variables and outs for the franchise. 

Lame duck status is not really an issue in ML's case. If he was truly on a final year, and was really looking at a 70% or greater shot of not getting more time, then yeah, that would be a concerning mindset. But, much like Walter Alston, ML is going to always be on one-year deals going forward.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Looking at it from a signee's POV, I would never agree to it on that or similar qualifiers. Too many variables and outs for the franchise. 

Lame duck status is not really an issue in ML's case. If he was truly on a final year, and was really looking at a 70% or greater shot of not getting more time, then yeah, that would be a concerning mindset. But, much like Walter Alston, ML is going to always be on one-year deals going forward.

Dude - you're really showing your age with that reference. I wonder how many folks remember when the Dodgers were the Red's biggest rival?

my 10 year stance is the same.. i wouldnt lose a ton of sleep over marv staying or going.. but i find it hard to believe there are any coaches dying to come take over. and if they did it would only be until a better opportunity arrises. 

marv is the winningest coach in bengals history, which is SOMETHING. whether the inability to put both an offense and a defense on the filed at the same time is his fault, fate, mike, katie, magic 8 ball, i dont know.. its better than the 90's.. but its boring as fuck right now.. at least we we knew we sucked there was self pity and optimism.. all we have now is purgatory. 

PS/offtopic: i try to go back and fixed all my ahve* to have* typos.. cause like 12 years ago on here, some dolt kept acting like somehow mistyping have to ahve was me trying to sound street or slang of some sort... i will never forget it.. ever..

3 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

Dude - you're really showing your age with that reference. I wonder how many folks remember when the Dodgers were the Red's biggest rival?

How Claude Osteen, Maury Wills, Steve Garvey, Don Sutton, Ron Cey and Bill Russell of you! 

14 hours ago, GoBengals said:

my 10 year stance is the same.. i wouldnt lose a ton of sleep over marv staying or going.. but i find it hard to believe there are any coaches dying to come take over. and if they did it would only be until a better opportunity arrises. 

marv is the winningest coach in bengals history, which is SOMETHING. whether the inability to put both an offense and a defense on the filed at the same time is his fault, fate, mike, katie, magic 8 ball, i dont know.. its better than the 90's.. but its boring as fuck right now.. at least we we knew we sucked there was self pity and optimism.. all we have now is purgatory. 

PS/offtopic: i try to go back and fixed all my ahve* to have* typos.. cause like 12 years ago on here, some dolt kept acting like somehow mistyping have to ahve was me trying to sound street or slang of some sort... i will never forget it.. ever..

Yea, I wouldn't lose sleep either. I would just hope somehow they could land a high profile coach or strike gold by finding a young creative upcoming coach in the lower ranks. Again , I saw Nebraska let a decent coach go , only to replace him with a very questionable other person. In other words, if you are going to move on , you better find a highly proven or unproven but highly creative minded coach.

17 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

This is true , but it may look better through his players eyes that he is not lame duck..

I understand the "lame duck" coach in the college ranks.  It's harder to land top recruits if they do not know who the head coach is since they are locked up.  I just do not think that the same thing plays out the same way in the NFL.

I do not believe that if AJ Green or Andy Dalton entered into an extension negotiation today that ML being a lame duck coach or not would even be discussed.  Players are worried about their money, guarantees and years.  Whitworth was a lame duck player for a couple of years and I didnt hear any outcry.   

On 7/3/2017 at 5:53 PM, Le Tigre said:

Met Walt Alston as a kid at Twin Run Golf Course.  Nice guy.

23 hours ago, GoBengals said:

marv is the winningest coach in bengals history, which is SOMETHING. whether the inability to put both an offense and a defense on the filed at the same time is his fault, fate, mike, katie, magic 8 ball,

Finding an OC that doesn't get exposed outdoors against the AFCN in December, "redeeming" the locker room until it's full of anger management issues & bad press, 

shaelyn-palmer-1.jpg

ETC ETC ETC

I wouldn't sign ML to squat.  He has had a lot of talent and generally underachieved.  His limitations as a game day coach are staggering.  He would need to overachieve this season for me to want to keep him.  I think the Bengals are an 8-8 team with their personnel issues on the O-line.  If they were to win 9 or 10 games and make the playoffs with this squad I would be impressed.  If not, I think it's time to look for a sharp coach that deserves an opportunity.  If you can't find one bring Lewis back for as short a term as possible.

There are a max of 32 head coach jobs available and several of those are locked up.  It's hard to believe they couldn't find someone interested.

If they can't then maybe the "why not" question is what we should be asking?  According to the sports talking heads the Bengals have had one of the more complete rosters in the NFL the last few years.

I would want to know why someone would not want the opportunity to coach them?

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

There are a max of 32 head coach jobs available and several of those are locked up.  It's hard to believe they couldn't find someone interested.

I agree.

They've tried lining up a successor but they keep getting poached. A talented but under-performing roster is the kind of thing that brings HoF coaches out of retirement, I think we'd be surprised.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Finding an OC that doesn't get exposed outdoors against the AFCN in December, "redeeming" the locker room until it's full of anger management issues & bad press, 

shaelyn-palmer-1.jpg

ETC ETC ETC

Who is that? Girls wearing baseball caps look sexy as hell!!

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, Enon Bengal said:

:wave:

8 hours ago, schotzee said:

Who is that? Girls wearing baseball caps look sexy as hell!!

Really?  To me she looks one missed text message away from going all voodoo doll on that bobblehead.  Stage 5 bunny-boiler.

To each their own, I guess.

Archived