The Bengals CBs were pretty good last season

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

Nice! What constitutes a coverage snap though?

I'm guessing it's like "per attempt" but counting sacks, qb scrambles..  Passing plays even if there's no pass thrown.

Bengals '16 pass defense was 6th in YPA & 10th in YPCompletion (=good tackling in the secondary, I'd say).

About that other shoe.. 22nd in completions/game.  In other words, getting beat 5 yards at a time, which sounds about right?  And I wonder how much of that is Coyle backing them off the pressure, bump & run stuff compared to previous years combined with Yo Paulie G blitzing all the time.  

On 7/5/2017 at 9:27 AM, schotzee said:

Can't believe the Stealers d was that high. I thought they sucked.

As I pointed out, single stats often don't tell the real story.  Remember that year Oakland had the #1 pass defense because they were giving up 200+ rushing per game?

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

As I pointed out, single stats often don't tell the real story.  Remember that year Oakland had the #1 pass defense because they were giving up 200+ rushing per game?

And when teams are running out the clock because you're losing, your pass D looks better. "Hey, we lost by 31 points, but we only gave up 121 passing yards!" (Hobson, 1999)

Now, this is per snap, but if you're giving up a lot of cushion and trying to keep the play in front of you, an offense is going to take what you give them. A 5 yard pass play is still a success. So, you have a good yards per snap, but a high rate of passes completed against your Defense. Heck, a 2 yard pass is a success on 3rd and 1.

While the DVOA metric isn't gospel, it does try to measure how many times an offense was successful against a defense. Even if it's a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 1. Denver's pass D? -32.9 (negative is good) The Bengals? Passing +5.7, rushing -4.4. That ranks us 15th in passing D. Against short passes, we drop to 19th. Pittsburgh was 9th against short passes, and 18th against the long ball. Denver was 1st in both categories.

And don't forget - both the Stealers and Bengals got to play the Browns twice. The worst passing offense in the league.

On 7/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, T-Dub said:

About that other shoe.. 22nd in completions/game.

22nd in completions is not that bad when you consider that the Bengals were 9th in attempts against them.  Even the best defenses will give up completions when the other team is throwing a lot.  So to get a more accurate stat you have to look at "efficiency" instead of "totals".   In fact lots of good teams will give up a lot of completions because they are way ahead in the fourth quarter and give up the short stuff.

Overall the Bengals were 6th in the league in yards per pass allowed, and 5th in pass efficiency rating (which takes into account tds and interceptions in addition to yards)

Archived